Wacky Tracky

Old June 6th 16, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wacky Tracky

On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 6:23:30 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Do we need it? No.
Do crew/family like it? Yes

They like it when it works, but then get worried when it doesn't. I am not sure that's a net positive. I was trying to choose what such device to get, and consulted my wife, explaining that a regular "I have landed safely" SPOT message is cool, but can cause unnecessary worries if you get used to it and then for whatever reasons it fails to get through some day. So I got a PLB, to be used only in case of a real emergency. Otherwise I am out of touch while flying, and can often (but not always) use the cellphone after landing.
Old June 6th 16, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 8:32:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Well Ramy"irresponsible" is a pretty strong word. I would say the guy who flies xc who makes bad decisions and cracks up his bird is the ultimate in "irresponsibility" or the guy who flies thinking his L/D will get him out of trouble or get him home every time is the "irresponsible" party.

Modern tec is nice, I have it, I use it, including amateur radio, but it is absolutely secondary to decent airmanship and proper educated self reliance. Anyone who thinks spot or flight tracking is gonna save him, is a fool in my opinion. All it will do is help find your body a little faster making for a more timely funeral service. We beed more people to accept personal responsibility for their flying and their survival, this may include location tracking devices but it most definitely includes educated self reliance..

Um... You landed on top of mount Patterson? maybe time to upgrade that "decent airmanship and proper educated self reliance" you speak of. Also, those GPS thingies can be used for final glide calculations to the nearest safe airport. For the top of Patterson, I think there are only five within easy glide; Swee****er, Flying Mouse, Hilton, Rosachi, Bridgeport.

Old June 6th 16, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 12:12:28 PM UTC-7, Candid Sky Productions wrote:
Noel please, you're such a politician. And we all know what is happening to politicians these days the non politician leads the pack.

"Fact of the matter about GPS is this, use at your discretion. The owners of theses sats are not us as in you and me. And ultimately their responsibility to you if there is a "glitch" is zero. "

A few comments;

1) contests require GPS, so it's really not at my discretion

2) You and I DO own those satellites. We paid for them with taxes.

3) FAA is requiring GPS in the future, in the form of ADS-B out for most aircraft- So its not at their discretion either.

Old June 6th 16, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well Matt thanks for the response. There are times when there is little choice when pushing hard on a personal goal. As you seem to know the area, there is a pearched bowl on the east side of patterson. Its usually a good late day thermal producer for getting home to minden late as I was attempting to do on an out n return flight to bishop, but if u get in there you might not get out. Thats what happened to me, and without a whole lot of L/D and penetration ability, the options get smaller. I knew the area, I knew the meadow was landable but also knew it was gonna be a long hike out and a long retreave. Big deal, unlike others (one in particular) that have wrecked their ship and lost there life by trying to dive out of there, I simply landed. That flight was also made in pre-gps days in a 30/1 ship with zero penetration ability, something you probably have no experience with.

You might want to querry the details before you make broad brush stroking statements.
Old June 6th 16, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I stay out of touch, as well. I like the solitude.

On the other hand, yesterday my friends, Kempton Izuno and Tom Bjork,
embarked on a record attempt out of Minden headed for a hilltop
somewhere southeast of Ely. Though they came up a bit short, it was an
epic flight (see yesterday's OLC).

Checking in at Soaring NV, I noted that they were at least 200 miles out
so I went back to the room for a shower (I'd flown 5.9 hours) and some
rest, and I occasionally checked on them using the SSA's sailplane
tracker. When I saw that they were only 40 miles out, Patti and hopped
in the car, went to the airport, and drove their vehicle to the expected
roll-out point. We'd been there about 5 minutes when she spotted them
on base. They rolled up to the truck, we towed them back to the ramp
and cleaned up the glider, and arrived at the Wild Horse Saloon in
Minden just before closing for a burger and a beer.

That was a good use of tracking (in my estimation)!

Dan

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 6th 16, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hmmmm... Interesting point. I wonder what happens when "GPS testing"
kills all the ADS-B transmissions in a 300 mile radius of Alamogordo...

Old June 6th 16, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There you got Dan, I agree and send my congrads to the xc boys. Did you fly the Stemme up there? How'd it go? My bro is looking at getting one, primarily as an economical little cruiser.
Dan
Old June 6th 16, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Monday, 6 June 2016 09:39:07 UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

For those you flying within 250NM of China Lake during the month of June be advised https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...t_Advisory.pdf

Send me an email if you would more detailed information as it is not as bad as it seems.

xcflying at gmail.com

Ron Gleason
Old June 6th 16, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Ron, for the info and appreciate you keeping us up to date.
Old June 6th 16, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

You all focusing on the convenient and entertainment values of trackers. But the main value is your own safety especially if you are injured, and consideration for your friends and family. What you expect them to do if you don't show up by sundown and no one heard from you? I was in one soaring event when we needed to search for someone who flew without a tracker for 2 days, with sad ending. More recently a friend didn't turn on his tracker and landed out safely after announcing final glide but couldn't notify anyone and had to walk out. We sent a plane to look for him. If you fly cross country in a place where someone will be waiting for you to return by the end of the day, there is no substitute and no excuse to spend $150 per year for a tracker.

Ramy

A wacky idea Ramapriya Piloting 15 November 16th 04 05:22 PM
Wacky instrument question.... Frode Berg Owning 5 May 28th 04 08:44 AM
Wacky question-plane and bass!! Frode Berg Piloting 8 May 18th 04 11:23 PM