Houston Area Pilots..

Old April 16th 05, 02:22 AM
Dave S

Default Houston Area Pilots..

I would like to get the tentative word out about starting up a new event
in the Houston area. I have noticed over the past years that local EAA
chapters or flying clubs will host regular "pancake flyin's" or similar
event.

EAA Chapter 12 in Houston relocated itself to Ellington Field in the
past year, and the local chapter has established a good working
relationship with the Collings Foundation ( http://www.cfwest.net/ ) and
the two are planning on hosting a regularly scheduled Young Eagles
event through the Spring, Summer and Fall.

The date(s) HAVE NOT been firmly established when this will kick off,
but I wanted to poll the "local" pilot population to see if folks would
be interested in a simple breakfast/brunch hosted on a Saturday morning,
once a month. Hangar flying with local pilots, experimental builders and
the possibility of casual hangar tours with CF's assets.

Some of the EAA members will be involved with providing education
towards Aviation Merit Badges to invited Boy Scout groups, and if at
some point you may be interested in participating in a Young Eagles
event, that participation would be greatly appreciated... but I want to
make it clear that the purpose of this proposed "breakfast flyin" is NOT
to wrangle Young Eagle event pilots. The goal is to help re-establish
EAA 12 and give it an identity in the region, and to help make the
aviation scene at EFD more social and enjoyable.

If anyone in the Houston region may be interested in participating in
such an event when it starts, drop me a line on here or at
. This isn't a firm committment, this is just
assessing for interest. If you come once every few months or even just
once, thats perfectly alright.

I will readily admit that I block 100% of my email with a spamblocker at
the server level. This generates a "bounce" message. I WILL check the
webmail server for any incoming messages, so dont worry about the bounce
message. Putting "Flyin" or "EAA" or something clearly aviation related
in private email subject matter would be greatly appreciated. Once
added, you wont be bounced at that address again. I get over 100 spams a
day on my "public" email, so bear with me.

Also, the Bay Area Aero Club at Pearland is hosting an Open House at
Clover Field/Pearland Regional on THIS Saturday, April 16th. 11 am - 3
pm. If you are without a place to fly at, and live in the Bay Area/Clear
Lake/Friendswood/Pearland area come check out the planes and the people.
I am sure they would appreciate the interest. As a veteran member of
BAAC, I can say that the planes tend to be a little cleaner, better
"loved" and more available for longer trips than your typical flight
school.

Dave S.

Old April 16th 05, 03:39 PM
john smith

Boy Scouts of America requires the pilot to carry $1 million liability
insurance.
Young Eagles only requires $500,000 liability insurance.

Old April 16th 05, 11:45 PM
Dave S

Again, this is about the pancake flyin concept.. NOT to serve as a pilot
pool for the young eagles. But thanks for the info. I am not the point
of contact for the Eagles or BSA events..even though they are planned at
the same time

Dave

Old April 17th 05, 02:03 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Dave S wrote:

Again, this is about the pancake flyin concept.. NOT to serve as a pilot
pool for the young eagles. But thanks for the info. I am not the point
of contact for the Eagles or BSA events..even though they are planned at
the same time

Avoid the same Saturday's as others around you...

A quick search finds the following:

1st Saturday's
EAA Chapter 59 McGregor Exec Airport Waco, Texas (Every 1st Sat)
EAA Chapter 614 (2L0) Pineville, La. (Every 1st Sat)
Mid-Way Regional Airport (KJWY) Midlothian/Waxahachie, Texas

2nd Saturday's:
EAA Chapter 35 San Geronimo Airpark (8T8) San Antonio, Texas

Last Saturday's:
McMahon-Wrinkle Airport (KBPG/T49) Big Spring, Texas

Besure to get plugs for yours in the free trades available at the FBO's...
Old April 17th 05, 07:07 AM
Roger

john smith wrote:
Boy Scouts of America requires the pilot to carry $1 million liability
insurance.
Young Eagles only requires $500,000 liability insurance.

Last I knew none was required for Young Eagles as the EAA provides
insurance for "Young Eagles" events.

Dave S wrote:

Some of the EAA members will be involved with providing education
towards Aviation Merit Badges to invited Boy Scout groups, and if at

The BSA has an aviation badge, but they officially will not
participate in flying. OTOH we've never had a problem with them doing
the aviation education part (Ground school/aviation camp) and then
doing the flight as an individual.

We hold two aviation camps every summer. At the end of the camp
they do a flight plan and then flying the route. The pilots do the
take offs and landings, but once at altitude we coach the kids at
straight and level as well as making gentle, level turns. Their
flight plan is a relatively short, triangular cross country from the
origin, to two other airports and back home. Depending on the planes
it takes about a half hour to an hour.

We also host a "Kids to Oshkosh" event which is not Young Eagles
related. EAA Chapter 1093 ( http://www.rogerhalstead.com/1093News.htm
flys three kids to Oshlosh (Air Venture) for a day. The receive a
guided tour of the grounds, the museum, and the flight line. They all
receive a year's membership in the EAA and flight line passes for the
day. Typically they leave 3BS at 7:00 AM and return after the air
show which gets them home around 9:30 PM.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
some point you may be interested in participating in a Young Eagles
event, that participation would be greatly appreciated... but I want
to make it clear that the purpose of this proposed "breakfast flyin"
is NOT to wrangle Young Eagle event pilots. The goal is to help
re-establish EAA 12 and give it an identity in the region, and to help
make the aviation scene at EFD more social and enjoyable.

Good luck on the event. I hope EAA 12 gets revitalized.

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
question for DFW area instrument pilots Genny Piloting 10 November 24th 03 07:46 AM
Soviet Submarines Losses - WWII Mike Yared Military Aviation 4 October 30th 03 03:09 AM
Patrick AFB Area Log, Monday 30 June 2003 AllanStern Military Aviation 0 July 1st 03 06:37 AM