Other than JPI, who else is there?

Old August 19th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Default Other than JPI, who else is there?

Other than the JPI EDM line of engine analyzers, what other
manufacturers are out there with good, reliable, full featured products
for a big bore Continental?

Kindest regards,
James A. (Jim) Carter, ANS #8215
Rogers, Arkansas

Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we
play for keeps.
- Ernest K. Gann

Old August 19th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article 000f01c7e25a$7191c0e0$4b01a8c0@omnibook6100,
"Jim Carter" wrote:

Other than the JPI EDM line of engine analyzers, what other
manufacturers are out there with good, reliable, full featured products
for a big bore Continental?

What about the Insight family of graphic engine monitors?

http://www.insightavionics.com/gemseries.htm

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old August 19th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Thanks Bob. I even see where their model 610 is STC'd like I need it.

I read a lot here about the JPI products, but not many talk about the
Insight GEMs. Are the owners just a quiet bunch, or are these not very
popular?

Old August 19th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Jim Carter wrote:

Other than the JPI EDM line of engine analyzers, what other
manufacturers are out there with good, reliable, full featured products
for a big bore Continental?

You couldn't give me a JPI. An unbelievably poor attitude toward its
customers. You want Electronics International.
Old August 19th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer

"

You couldn't give me a JPI. An unbelievably poor attitude toward its
customers. You want Electronics International.

I second that EI has wonderful customer support.

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Old August 19th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article 001501c7e266$142eee30$4b01a8c0@omnibook6100,
"Jim Carter" wrote:

I read a lot here about the JPI products, but not many talk about the
Insight GEMs. Are the owners just a quiet bunch, or are these not very
popular?

Not sure. I like my GEM 602, but I only have a cherokee 140.
If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the recording model
so that I could play with the numbers post-flight.

btw - there can be such a thing as too much information. Sometimes
ignorance is bliss. :-)

Old August 19th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dennis Johnson

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
news:000f01c7e25a$7191c0e0$4b01a8c0@omnibook6100.. .
Other than the JPI EDM line of engine analyzers, what other
manufacturers are out there with good, reliable, full featured products
for a big bore Continental?

I'd recommend looking at Electronics International http://www.buy-ei.com/

Their products are good and their customer support is the greatest.

Dennis

Old August 19th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Jim Carter wrote:

Other than the JPI EDM line of engine analyzers, what other
manufacturers are out there with good, reliable, full featured products
for a big bore Continental?

You couldn't give me a JPI. An unbelievably poor attitude toward its
customers. You want Electronics International.

Second that.

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old August 20th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

You couldn't give me a JPI. An unbelievably poor attitude toward its
customers. You want Electronics International.

I've always had excellent support from JPI with my EDM700, and it's a
high quality product.

Old August 20th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Paul kgyy wrote:

You couldn't give me a JPI. An unbelievably poor attitude toward its
customers. You want Electronics International.

I've always had excellent support from JPI with my EDM700, and it's a
high quality product.

Ditto. I've dealt with them 3 times now, all good.

1st, when I got the unit. I needed 6 bayonet probes not 5 bayonet and
one sparkplug type. The mechanic didn't realize that and opened and
installed the sparkplug probe. I called JPI asking about getting a
bayonet probe. They offered an exchange even though the sparkplug probe
had already been opened and installed. They didn't have to.

2nd, I bought a JPI OAT probe from another pilot who had decided to use
a different thermocouple and put it in the air inlet rather than using
the probe. I called JPI to ask about buying a harness for it, as all I
had was the probe. They sent a new harness no charge, including
overnight shipping. I was willing to buy the harness and pay shipping,
they wouldn't hear of it.

3rd, I decided to get the USB inteface upgrade for my unit. They
offered an offer I can't refuse for that plus fuel flow. Further calls
to tech support to ask about what else I needed to buy to install the
fuel flow as well as what additional holes I needed in the panel were
answered quickly, cheerfully, and as far as I can tell accurately.

I have no complaints whatsoever with JPI tech support. I'm not sure
what the hub-bub is about, but I for sure didn't get any bad support.

The product is a good product (and for a six cylinder engine has more
function than any of the competitors because 12 of the competitor's 16
available channels are used up with EGT and CHT).