Bad Day at the office?

Old June 25th 07, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

Default Bad Day at the office?

Just saw this one on AVweb:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...18X00759&key=1

Wow, someone was having a bad day at the office...

The obvious tower mistake is one thing, but I would also question the
judgement of the PIC of the second aircraft cleared... He really
should have been the one to catch the controllers mistake...

Granted, thats my own damn opinion and nothing else, I obviously don't
know enough to make a real judgement here

-Scott

Old June 25th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"EridanMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just saw this one on AVweb:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...18X00759&key=1

Wow, someone was having a bad day at the office...

The obvious tower mistake is one thing, but I would also question the
judgement of the PIC of the second aircraft cleared... He really
should have been the one to catch the controllers mistake...

Granted, thats my own damn opinion and nothing else, I obviously don't
know enough to make a real judgement here

-Scott

I don't know either, but here is a link for a diagram of TEB:
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0706/00890AD.PDF

It looks like an incidious type of event. Worth watching for, but....

Peter

Old June 25th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Good on the pilot who saw the problem looming. Think about your own
takeoff runs, soon after you move the throttle(s) forward. Scanning
instruments -- is this thing gonna fly? -- tracking down the
centerline, all that stuff. Someone on the flight deck was looking at
more than the runway ahead. Did the P180 have a SIC?

Old June 25th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"EridanMan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Just saw this one on AVweb:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...18X00759&key=1

Wow, someone was having a bad day at the office...

The obvious tower mistake is one thing, but I would also question the
judgement of the PIC of the second aircraft cleared... He really
should have been the one to catch the controllers mistake...

Granted, thats my own damn opinion and nothing else, I obviously don't
know enough to make a real judgement here

The takeoff clearances were issued 40 seconds apart. The PIC of the second
aircraft cleared may not have been on tower frequency when the first
clearance was issued, although he certainly should have seen the first
aircraft on the intersecting runway. I have to wonder how this incident
occurred so long after the first clearance was issued.

Old June 26th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ben Jackson

On 2007-06-25, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

he certainly should have seen the first
aircraft on the intersecting runway.

That's hard to say unless you've been at the end of 19 in a spam can.
It doesn't take much brush to make it impossible to see the end of
another runway. The geometry also makes it look like the plane on 24
would be slightly behind the plane on 19 as they approached the
intersection.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old June 26th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 25, 12:42 am, EridanMan wrote:
Just saw this one on AVweb:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...18X00759&key=1

Wow, someone was having a bad day at the office...

The obvious tower mistake is one thing, but I would also question the
judgement of the PIC of the second aircraft cleared... He really
should have been the one to catch the controllers mistake...

Granted, thats my own damn opinion and nothing else, I obviously don't
know enough to make a real judgement here

-Scott

I have had similar happen to me. You have to assume that the tower
will not make mistakes. Often these types of mistakes happen at
airports that have different freq for different runways, making it
harder to determine.

-Robert

Old June 26th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message

That's hard to say unless you've been at the end of 19 in a spam can.
It doesn't take much brush to make it impossible to see the end of
another runway.

It's easy to say if you've examined high resolution imagery of the airport.

http://mapper.acme.com/?lat=40.85641...ht=2&dot =Yes

The geometry also makes it look like the plane on 24
would be slightly behind the plane on 19 as they approached the
intersection.

To an SR22 at the hold short line for runway 19 on taxiway bravo a P180
departing full length on runway 24 would be moving from a position about 45
degrees off its left nose to the right.

Old June 26th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

On Jun 25, 6:35 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jun 25, 12:42 am, EridanMan wrote:

Just saw this one on AVweb:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...18X00759&key=1

Wow, someone was having a bad day at the office...

The obvious tower mistake is one thing, but I would also question the
judgement of the PIC of the second aircraft cleared... He really
should have been the one to catch the controllers mistake...

Granted, thats my own damn opinion and nothing else, I obviously don't
know enough to make a real judgement here

-Scott

I have had similar happen to me. You have to assume that the tower
will not make mistakes. Often these types of mistakes happen at
airports that have different freq for different runways, making it
harder to determine.

-Robert

Yeah, I know there are _WAY_ too many variables I can't possibly know,
which is why I submitted that little gem with a massive disclaimer

I mean hell, for all I know, my bias comes simply from the fact that
the P-180 is probably my single favorite current aircraft(from a
design perspective), and I'm not a particular fan of Cirrus... Purely
my own fanboyish reaction.

Either way, props to the crews for avoiding a serious incident... and
a reminder to all of us that situational awareness means a lot more
than simply what the tower is telling us in particular.

-Scott

Old June 26th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 25, 1:42 am, EridanMan wrote:
Just saw this one on AVweb:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...18X00759&key=1

Wow, someone was having a bad day at the office...

The obvious tower mistake is one thing, but I would also question the
judgement of the PIC of the second aircraft cleared... He really
should have been the one to catch the controllers mistake...

Granted, thats my own damn opinion and nothing else, I obviously don't
know enough to make a real judgement here

-Scott

Who paid for the blown tires?

Old June 26th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message

That's hard to say unless you've been at the end of 19 in a spam can.
It doesn't take much brush to make it impossible to see the end of
another runway.

It's easy to say if you've examined high resolution imagery of the

airport.

http://mapper.acme.com/?lat=40.85641...eme=NEXRAD&wid
th=3&height=2&dot=Yes

The geometry also makes it look like the plane on 24
would be slightly behind the plane on 19 as they approached the
intersection.

To an SR22 at the hold short line for runway 19 on taxiway bravo a P180
departing full length on runway 24 would be moving from a position about

45
degrees off its left nose to the right.

Presuming, of course, that the P180 was in motion before the SR22 taxied
into position, turning 90 degrees in the process...

I'm glad that the P180 pilot realized that the situation was running amock!

Cessna down near TEB, hits Post Office building.... [email protected] Piloting 2 September 4th 05 11:21 PM
MAP OFFICE RE-INSTATED Mike Piloting 0 February 14th 05 10:25 PM
Map Office re-instated Mike Naval Aviation 0 February 14th 05 09:47 PM
Office of Homeland Security suggestion Tom Ridge Military Aviation 1 April 1st 04 10:22 PM
Air Force office studies aging aircraft Otis Willie Military Aviation 2 August 30th 03 06:05 PM