Twin engine wing-jumper

Old February 19th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Twin engine wing-jumper

On Feb 18, 6:31 pm, John Smith wrote:
In article
,
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

Then there was the time at Perris with the D-18 when I was pulling a
load up thru various altitudes, a couple here, a few there and we were
headed for 12.5 for some AAF with 4 guys left. Don Balch was the JM
and I was doing a racetrack pattern in the climb. As we were going
thru 11K, I lost the blower on the right engine on the jump leg and I
hollered back "JUMP RUN" and Balch comes forward pointing at his
altimeter saying "12.5" and I replied "We lost our right engine..."
and he didn't even slow down as he smoothly pivoted around hollering
"JUMP RUN" and they all headed out. I'm still laughing at how little
argument I got for the low jump run...!

Brownies Lebanon Airport, Lebanon OH, circa 1972
After a wet Spring and several weeks of no jumping activity, the clouds
parted and the sun appeared for several days.
The C180 was untied and pulled out of the open T-hangar, the jumpers
were loaded and off they flew.
Passing through 3500 on the way up, smoke began waifting into the cabin
from under the instrument panel. As the pilot realized the source was
not within the aircraft cabin, he announced, "Boys, I think we got
a...", and before the word "fire" was out of his mouth, the jump door
was open and four jumpers were gone, leaving the pilot all alone.
Being a jump pilot in an airplane directly over an airport, he wasn't
about to join his recently departed charges.
Putting the nose down and performing the jump pilot descent, he was
quickly on the ground, stopped and shut down.
Unbuttoning the cowling revealed a recently constructed birds nest on
the rear cylinders on one side of the engine.

Poached? Or over easy? ;-)
Old February 19th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 18, 7:45 pm, "muff528" wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 15, 11:21 am, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
On Feb 15, 10:17 am, wrote:

On Feb 15, 10:12 am, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

On Feb 15, 9:56 am, wrote:

On Feb 15, 9:43 am, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

On Feb 14, 6:42 pm, "gatt" wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enz2Y...eature=related

(Jumper joy-riding on left engine nacelle)

As soon as "Ogrish" popped up I expected to guy to tangle up in
the
empennage or something. What do you guys think of this?

-c

Intreresting but not spectacular. People been doing similar ever
since
the 20's and a lot of wing walking sans parachute. That takes
some
balls!
I've got pics of 13 jumpers crawling around outside a Twin Beech.
Was
over Perris,CA back in the 80's

Yeah with the 'old style' big suits and Strong containers stuffed
with
T-10s and PCs.

I wonder what the sink rate of the plane was.- Hide quoted text -

If you are talking about the Twin Beech over Perris, the sink rate
was
1000fpm @ 90-kts with the left engine pulled back to near idle, about
10deg of flap for a step for the jumpers. Started out at 14.5 How do
know all that? Simple...I was the pilot. Two attempts were made that
day and on the first jump the lead jumper lost his grip as the 13th
was coming out the door so we did it again later that afternoon.
9-29-85

Thank you! I'd been seriously wondering about that ever since I saw
the pic. I started jumping in '84 on a paracommander and quickly
transitioned to a 9 cell after I stood up (once!) a PC (at 210#).

What was your favorite jump plane to fly?

I liked Caravans (nice big door) and Casa 212s (nice big ramp)...but
for just fun hanging upside down by your feet from the wing of a C182
or similar was always a hoot.- Hide quoted text -

The only time I ever got hurt jumping was a PC and I broke my heel.
That was jump #130+. did a hook turn too low and BAM.
As far as a favorite jump plane to fly, hard to say. Enjoyed the Casa,
BE 18, and of course all the usual singles. I began jumping in '59 at
Elsinore and my last one was in Perris out of a ****ter back about
'85+-. My wife did a tandem from 14.5 out of a ****ter at Moss Point
Mississippi a few years ago. Jumps from helicopters were fun and I
suppose my favorite was out of a C130 at 21,000 back in 61-62 in the
USMC. Early days of the HALO development near Yuma AZ. I think I
started pulling jumpers around 1964...with C-172's out near
Barstow,CA. A variety of aircraft since then.
Cheers
Rocky

'59....back when men were men, chutes were round and reserves were
"warts".

I performed my hook turn under my 9 cell and literally bounced but
only sprained my ankle. Never had a chance to jump the 18 but we had
one around. Did a high altitude out of a twinbo (noisiest airplane
with that 'charger on it) which was fun (22'K feet and had to go off
O2 to gear up for about 5 minutes...felt really interesting to jump
semi-hypoxic. Jumped a Cub once and hung off the little step (greasy-
bad move)...but it was the little things that made it enjoyable-
watching a C-47 fire up at dusk with the blue flames popping out the
exhaust...jumping into a crystal clear spring se texas morning sky and
then looking down 45 seconds later to see nothing but ground fog from
horizon to horizon.

The most fun might be the Longranger jump and gave me a new
appreciation for the use of safety cables in movie stunts as I see no
way a man hanging on a skid could climb back into one.

A C130. Sigh. Always wanted to jump one of those....and the jet jump
at Quincy would have been fun too. Slow down to terminal velocity
would be interesting.

I jumped video from '89 til '95 and quit just shy of 1000 jumps when I
realized that my ears weren't clearing until Thursday the following
week and my neck was getting beat up from the video gear...approaching
40 at that time didn't have anything to do with it I'm sure. ;-)

Blue skies,
Richard

OK Richard, NO EXCUSE!!..... I did my pre-second jump at 41 years old and
also am approaching 1000 jumps although I slowed WAY down after my son was
born. (It HAS been a pretty good while since my last one but I still own all
my gear so I guess I'm still "current" :-))

Blue'ns, Tony P.

Yah, I blame my son (now 11 as I approach 50) and my ears & sinuses
(and a little TMJ from the helmet cam chinstrap- all that chin
thrusting to hold it on tightly). I'd still jump video though if I
started up again and wonder how the 'rolling' shutter on my HV20 would
do in the air. Still have my gear packed up from 10/15/1995 and
occasionally take my old main out the closet and inflate it on the
yard like a big kite. The altimeter is my barometer.
Old February 20th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

Yah, I blame my son (now 11 as I approach 50) and my ears & sinuses
(and a little TMJ from the helmet cam chinstrap- all that chin
thrusting to hold it on tightly). I'd still jump video though if I
started up again and wonder how the 'rolling' shutter on my HV20 would
do in the air.

Mine just turned 11 a couple of months ago. He likes going to the DZ with me
but he's much more interested in NASCAR. I thought I'd like to try
videography at one time and I tried out a friends camera helmet two or three
times a few years back. Definitely not as easy as it looks to get decent
results! Also I didn't want skydiving to turn into work so I gave up the
idea.

Still have my gear packed up from 10/15/1995 and
occasionally take my old main out the closet and inflate it on the
yard like a big kite.

Isn't the reserve repack cycle still 120 days? ;-) I had my most recent
reserve ride 3-4 years ago and noticed that my old 5-cell Swift landed a bit
hard. Not sure if the canopy is getting too porous or if I am! :-) I think
I'd get a new one if I get back into jumping more frequently. Getting a
Cypres wouldn't hurt either.

The altimeter is my barometer.

I "zeroed" mine before each of the hurricanes that came through here in
2004. I live within a few miles of the tracks of 3 of them. Interesting to
watch the house "ascend" 150 -200 ft during their passing.

Old February 20th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 19, 8:35 pm, "muff528" wrote:
[...]

Used to take it on ski trips when I drove into the Rockies...you could
watch the low pressure zones track over.

Yeah, my reserve is a little over due...and it's a round Phantom 26';
the last time I used it was for a test jump of an under the container
throw out system prior to migrating to a wing suit in '94. 'Hard
pull' and dumped at 2K after a 4-way practice dive (jumping
video)...felt kinda a strange trying to get the silly thing deployed
and watching the girls (female jump team) all tracking off and dumping
while I fiddled Discovered the meaning of the word brisk by having my
head snap forward such that I darn near caught myself in the face with
my knees...then realized at 500 or so feet that a PLF was a bad idea
with $1500 worth of gear on my head so I *almost* stood it up...went
to my knees.

A *job*....yeah, that was another reason. I'd done all I wanted to do
with it and with the beating I was taking it was getting to be a whole
lot of work. Perhaps someday...again.

Amazing how the skills stay with you. I had a 5 month hiatus in '95
right before I *really* quit and on my first jump back put it 3 feet
of dead center in the peas. I wonder now if I'd get the elevated
pulse or if I'd just get back into the business like zone.
Old February 20th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Feb 17, 11:47*pm, Clark wrote:
William Hung wrote in news:afe16f3e-08bf-462d-8c63-
:

On Feb 14, 7:42*pm, "gatt" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enz2Y...eature=related

(Jumper joy-riding on left engine nacelle)

As soon as "Ogrish" popped up I expected to guy to tangle up in the
empennage or something. * What do you guys think of this?

-c

Looks like fun. *I would wear shoes though.

Wot? And risk scratching the paint?

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Didn't think of that.

Wil
Old February 21st 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

...and it's a round Phantom 26'

*shudddderrr!* ... never had a round on my back! .....although I did mention
to one of the long-time jumpers that I'd like to try a Para-Commander (not
REALLY a round, I suppose). He told me just to jump off of the roof of the
manifest building and it would be a good approximation of the landing I'd
get! :-)

the last time I used it was for a test jump of an under the container
throw out system prior to migrating to a wing suit in '94. 'Hard
pull' and dumped at 2K after a 4-way practice dive (jumping
video)...felt kinda a strange trying to get the silly thing deployed
and watching the girls (female jump team) all tracking off and dumping
while I fiddled Discovered the meaning of the word brisk by having my
head snap forward such that I darn near caught myself in the face with
my knees...then realized at 500 or so feet that a PLF was a bad idea
with $1500 worth of gear on my head so I *almost* stood it up...went
to my knees.

OUCH! .... I've had some pretty hard openings and I can only imagine having
one while wearing a camera helmet. ..No Thanks!

Old February 21st 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 20, 6:43 pm, "muff528" wrote:
[...]

My first few jumps were on a PC; for #2 I stood it up (weighing 210 at
the time) and was sore for 3 days. You ever get a chance try it,
actually has some 'drive' to it and not bad at all for a round.

Yeah, I always tried to pack a snively opening for just such a
reason. After that reserve ride I packed it in for the rest of the
day - it was jump #4 and I was feeling pretty beat up. g