Helicopter crash video

Old December 21st 03, 04:58 AM
Jeff Franks

I know a guy who thought it would be "neat" to own an airplane. He had NO
experience and had NEVER been up in ANY aircraft.....ever.

He found a guy willing to sell him an "ultralight" (funny, this ultralight
had 2 seats and 15 gal tanks). Anyway, he writes the check and jumps in and
flys himself home in it (50 miles).

Ironically (and what became his reasoning for teaching himself), the plane
was destroyed a week later by an ultralight instructor. The instructor
crashed it into a pond while he was on a "familiarization flight" before
taking the owner up for his first lesson.

He now flys powered parachutes.....

People will do amazingly stupid things when ignorance gets in the way.....

Old December 21st 03, 12:10 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote:
Amazing, isn't it,...

Not in the least.

I think stupidity is an exception; Dan thinks it's the rule.

No. I think it's not amazing. It's not uncommon enough to be amazing.

You have an interesting definition for "uncommon".

Old December 21st 03, 12:13 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jeff Franks" wrote in message
I know a guy who thought it would be "neat" to own an airplane. He had NO
experience and had NEVER been up in ANY aircraft.....ever.

He found a guy willing to sell him an "ultralight" (funny, this ultralight
had 2 seats and 15 gal tanks). Anyway, he writes the check and jumps in

and
flys himself home in it (50 miles).

Ironically (and what became his reasoning for teaching himself), the plane
was destroyed a week later by an ultralight instructor. The instructor
crashed it into a pond while he was on a "familiarization flight" before
taking the owner up for his first lesson.

He now flys powered parachutes.....

People will do amazingly stupid things when ignorance gets in the way.....

Let's see: the owner, with ZERO FT or instruction manages to get home (an
ultralight is a whole different class than a Hughes 269), but the INSTRUCTOR
manages to prang it.

So....where's the ignorance?

Old December 21st 03, 02:07 PM
mike regish

I taught myself to hang glide and fly an ultralight. Looking back, it was
probably not a great idea, but I survived. Even I would never consider
teaching myself to fly a helicopter.

Good article in P&P this month about a multi thousand hour airline pilot
doing an article on hang gliders. He just straps in and goes thinking a wing
is a wing. They all fly the same. After several minor crashes he finally
figures out that the control bar works in reverse from a yoke and manages a
short flight for a photo. Hilarious article.

mike regish

Old December 21st 03, 02:21 PM
Dan Luke

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote:
You have an interesting definition for "uncommon".

You think idiots with more money than brains are uncommon? Try hanging
out at an upscale marina sometime.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 21st 03, 04:06 PM
Ron Natalie

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote:
Amazing, isn't it,...

Not in the least.

I think stupidity is an exception; Dan thinks it's the rule.

What's amazing to me is that he managed to survive as long as he did in that
evolution. It looks to me from that he doesn't even have his hand on the
cyclic when the sequence starts (I think he must have opened the throttle
not realizing that unlike an car in Neutral or an airplane with brakes there
is nothing to restrain a helicopter).

He almost rolls it over as it is skittering across the pavement early on but
it breaks free and gets into the air.

Old December 30th 03, 10:13 AM
Trentus

"mike regish" wrote in message
newsOhFb.105908$8y1.323654@attbi_s52...
I taught myself to hang glide and fly an ultralight. Looking back, it was
probably not a great idea, but I survived. Even I would never consider
teaching myself to fly a helicopter.

OK, so who invented the first working helicopter, and who taught him how to
fly it?

Trentus

Old December 30th 03, 03:21 PM
Aardvark

Trentus wrote:
"mike regish" wrote in message
newsOhFb.105908$8y1.323654@attbi_s52...

I taught myself to hang glide and fly an ultralight. Looking back, it was
probably not a great idea, but I survived. Even I would never consider
teaching myself to fly a helicopter.

OK, so who invented the first working helicopter, and who taught him how to
fly it?

Trentus

A bit of history here
http://www.helis.com/introduction/prin.php

WW

Lockheed wins Presidential helicopter contract Tiger Naval Aviation 0 January 29th 05 05:24 AM
HARRIER CRASH - video Don Tuite Owning 0 October 25th 04 10:08 PM
Dennis Fetters Mini 500 EmailMe Home Built 70 June 21st 04 09:36 PM
Musings of a Commercial Helicopter Pilot Badwater Bill Home Built 6 February 27th 04 09:11 AM
Crew Members in Helicopter Crash Identified Jim Carriere Naval Aviation 0 July 17th 03 06:46 PM