Have you created anything "home-made" for your plane? (or a low cost alternative?)

Old April 12th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Default Have you created anything "home-made" for your plane? (or a low cost alternative?)

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Hey, what cam I say, I'm 60 and don't remember everything.

It's called "having an Alzheimer Moment"... grin

Old April 12th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

ok, here's my question: Are you saying that I could install any part (certified
or uncertified) I want in my cherokee as long as I have an approval basis
for the installation? or are you saying that no approval basis of the
installation is required?

I actually talked with somebody at my FSDO (CT) about this kind of
thing. We were talking about installing a non-certified backup AH.

1: You can't install a non-certified (NC) part as a required part of a
certified plane. Thus, the NC gyro can't be your only gyro, or be one
in the sacred six position.

2: You can install anything that is not required, so long as the
installation meets the approval of the certified mechanic doing the
installation and signing off on it. This signoff is essentially saying
that the part will not harm the safety or flight charactaristics of the
aircraft. Thus you can install a (NC!) CD player that plugs into the
cigarette lighter. It can be screwed into the panel, so long as the
certificated mechanic signs off on it (saying that it won't, for
example, get in the way of flight controls, fall off at a critical
moment, and that the installation will withstand the same forces the
rest of the airplane is supposed to withstand.

3: He was concerned about connecting directly to the electrical system,
because there can be no assurance that it won't be a flight hazard, but
IIRC he didn't forbid it.

We did not pursue this further because my club went with a certificated
unit. YMMV.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old April 12th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Jose wrote:
ok, here's my question: Are you saying that I could install any part
(certified or uncertified) I want in my cherokee as long as I have an
approval basis
for the installation? or are you saying that no approval basis of the
installation is required?

I actually talked with somebody at my FSDO (CT) about this kind of
thing. We were talking about installing a non-certified backup AH.

1: You can't install a non-certified (NC) part as a required part of a
certified plane. Thus, the NC gyro can't be your only gyro, or be one
in the sacred six position.

Where is this sacred six panel arrangement described as a must-have?

Where does it say that I can't have any other arrangement but the
traditional six pack?

I'm not arguing whether or not the six pack is the most optimal from a
human factors standpoint. I'm trying to find an FAA citation for that
assertion.

-jav
Old April 12th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Where is this sacred six panel arrangement described as a must-have?

Where does it say that I can't have any other arrangement but the traditional six pack?

I'm not arguing whether or not the six pack is the most optimal from a human factors standpoint. I'm trying to find an FAA citation for that assertion.

To my knowledge there is no FAA citation - I am interpolating from the
conversation I had that my FSDO would not approve installing a
non-certified part where a certified part is expected, but would be ok
with the installation of a non certified part which is completely
auxilliary to the aircraft (such as a CD player or a backup AI).

The line is fuzzy. I would expect the "six pack" to be on the far side
of the line, and I am using "six pack" in a slightly more metaphorical
sense actually.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old April 12th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Jose wrote:

I actually talked with somebody at my FSDO (CT) about this kind of
thing. We were talking about installing a non-certified backup AH.

3: He was concerned about connecting directly to the electrical system,
because there can be no assurance that it won't be a flight hazard, but
IIRC he didn't forbid it.

A rep from the same FSDO poo-poohed a non-approved directly connected
electrical device last night. G
Old April 12th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Javier wrote:

Where is this sacred six panel arrangement described as a must-have?

I've seen so many panel layouts, maybe it's whatever layout that's in
front of you? G

Would glass cockpits not violate the sacred trust?
Old April 12th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

B A R R Y wrote:
Javier wrote:

Where is this sacred six panel arrangement described as a must-have?

I've seen so many panel layouts, maybe it's whatever layout that's in
front of you? G

Would glass cockpits not violate the sacred trust?

Ultimately, I'm interested in accurately information, which Jose
provided in response to my posting.

I just hate it when explanations are sought, created, made up and
dreamed up when it comes to what can and cannot be installed on our
planes. I think sometimes mechanics look for reasons to NOT install
something, rather than to see how a given part or rig or whatever can be
safely and legally installed.

Ham radio rigs on airplanes is a good example.

-jav
Old April 17th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Years ago Jabra made a cellphone headset where the mike was in the earpiece,
and worked on bone conduction. The mike was not on the cord. The real
advantage to this model was that you would put it under the cup of your
headset, and use the cellphone while in the air. It worked rather well. I
still keep mine in the flight bag as a backup.

"Randy Aldous" wrote in message
ups.com...
Regarding in-the-ear microphone/ earphones....

Someone in the thread mentioned in-ear headphone/mics for cell phones
being simular. The cheap ones you get for free from your cell dealer
are just a cheap ear-bud and a omnidirectional mic inline with the cord
a few inches down from the earbud. They perform poorly on the ground
with a cell phone, I doubt they would be even worth trying in an
aircraft (think of the opposite of "noise cancelling" microphone....)

A better unit is the Jabra in-ear headset - it looked like a small
black, corded version of the earpiece that Lt. Uhra (sp?) used in the
original Star Trek. It didn't actually use bone-conduction for the
microphone, but had a tiny microphone opening in the black part that
stuck out, popinting towards the lower front of your face. There were
semi-form fitting "ear gels" that came with (Small, Medium and Large)
that you chose to match your ear size. They worked pretty well,
although you had to be careful so the mic hole pointed correctly. The
ear gel idea was ok, if you had "Small" "Medium" or "Large" ears. Those
of us that fell in between, compromised. I will say that once you got
the fit right, they worked well and sounded good, both tx and rx. They
also had a cheaper version with a stubby boom microphone. I just went
to the Jabra website (www.jabra.com) to see what the model number was
and see that the ones described above are nowhere to be found. Progress
(?) I guess. (I did find an example he
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R106620FC and
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W326430FC - looks like they are
clearancing them out, considering the prices....)

Randy

Old April 27th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Item #1--- Tie-downs...

go to your local big-box or whatever hardware store, purchase 10 stakes
(12 in. long, 1/2 or 5/8 in in diameter)
why 10 when you only need 9? Because you'll lose one.
cost? about $10. IF you have the equipment (I don't), you can
buy rebar or similar and cut to 12-18 in lengths
at the same store, get a heavy duty plastic hammer - about $2.00
while you're at it, if the store has marine-quality rope, get 3 lengths,
appropriate to your wing height. I have a low-wing cherokee, so
the back tie-down only needs 6 feet at most, the 2 wings, 10 feet each.
the rope needs to be 1/2 to 5/8 in
and wander to the chain area of the store and find the heaviest duty
chain link they have. get 3 set of 4 links. cost - about $3.00 total
if you really want to be spiffy, get a nylon bag to put this all in.

total cost? about $15 + the rope. I bought the rope at the local
marine shop, and bought more than I needed, so you could probably
get by with $20 for a low-wing.

I used this at OSH during the Sunday (Monday?) storm - no problems!

Putting it together...3 stakes go thru 3 of the links on the chain
(or 2 stakes if it's not windy) and the rope goes thru the last
chain. I used an interior chain for the rope so that it would be
easier to get the stakes out of the ground (pull from the middle...)

Item #2 -- glareshield...
In the very near future, the edge (about 3-4 in. wide) of the glareshield
will be completely covered in black velcro. Why? Everything goes up
there and stays there! The handheld GPS (garmin pilott III), the
TPAS, LED flashlight, pen/pencil, etc. No more fumbling around trying
to find something --- it's right there in front of me!

Item #3 -- something to put the O2 mask and/or nose thingy...(cannula)
I leave the hose connected to the O2 tank, then loosely roll the hose
and put the excess and the mask into a large zip-lock plastic bag.
Close the bag up to about 1/2 in and tuck it into the handle of
the O2 case. I've got an Aerox unit in a padded case that is attached
to the right pax seat so I can always reach it. The zip bag fits nicely
into the carrying handle.
Always handy, always clean.

Item #4 -- packages of alcohol wipes.
No, I'm not completely paranoid about germs (well, not yet). But I
frequently have friends, once in a while an Angel Flight. So I keep the
headseats scrupulously clean. The wipes clean off the ear muffs, the
mic and the foam cover on the mic. Got this idea from the museum...
I volunteer at a local museum and do multiple shows for the visitors.
We use wireless hand mics and headsets. So we keep the wipes handy
for the mics, and the spray for various exhibits. Sams club or costco,
100 or 500 in a box for almost nothing. (these are the same wipes
used to "clean" before an injection or blood draw, about 1 inch square)

Item #5 -- under seat storage.
Turns out that the space under a seat in an older cherokee is just bout
the size of a 500 sheet (ream) box of paper. Took the box, reinforced
it a bit with tape, and it's a perfect place for the fire extinguisher,
the CO detector, the "big" flashlight (metal, 3 D size batteries).

Item #6 - the user manual.
The previous owner gave me an 8.5 x 11 binder with everything in it.
Not practical.
Once again, suitable for an older cherokee. The width of the area
between the handles on the yoke is EXACTLY the size of a small, 6x9 in.
plastic clipboard at the local office supply store. The
pressboard won't work, since the clip extends past the edge of the
board. The plastic one has the clip within the boundary of the board.
I rewrote all the procedures, frequently used freqs, checklists, etc
and printed them 3 x 4 in. Over to Kinko's, laminated and spiral
bound it. Fits perfectly on the little clipboard, again, right
in front of me, no hunting for anything. Cost? About $1.00 for
the clipboard and whatever Kinko's charges for laminating and binding.
One side of the little notebook is under the clip, the other side
is held on with a heavy-duty rubber band. Clipboard just slides right
into the yoke.

Item #7 -- AR(R)OW holder.
Back to the office supply store. Small, transparent plastic folder
(letter-size envelope). More velcro. One side of the velcro on
the envelope, the other on the back wall, high up by the headliner
(that way, it won't be dislodged by luggage or gear). Absolutely
visible to everyone at any time. Cost? Another $1.00 IIRC.

Old April 27th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Watson wrote:
Use canoe rail cartop closed cell foam blocks as aft wingtip hangar rash
protector. $5 at Sporting Good Store. Cut slit in foam (if not already
there). Add RBF streamers on opposite sides (for L and R wings).

I picked up a bunch of those 3 ft. long foam tubes in the pool
area at Target for $0.99 each, cut slit in them. Didn't go with the
streamers since the tubes are fluorescent colored. A bit hard to miss.