Looking for KFC225 autopilot red disconnect button

Old May 19th 05, 10:39 PM
Rich Grise

Default Looking for KFC225 autopilot red disconnect button

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:20:48 +0100, Peter wrote:

Hi,

Someone has lost the red "disconnect" button onmy KFC225 autopilot.

Honeywell want a lot of money for a whole new switch. Would anyone
know who makes this switch? It looks like a standard pushbutton
switch, with a button about 9mm diameter.

I could make a new button easily enough if I knew the thread used in
the centre of the button (the button has a male screw on it). It
certainly isn't metric.

If you _know_ it's not metric, it's probably 4-40 or 6-32. These are
standard thread sizes in that size of stuff. I've seen those buttons
before, so I'm pretty confident about that. Are you in a metric-only
country?

The switch manufacturer is probably one of the well known names...

Any info would be much appreciated.

One of these links might have some useful info:
http://www.google.com/search?q=pushbutton+switch

Good Luck!
Rich

Old May 20th 05, 05:30 PM
Brian Whatcott

On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:39:25 GMT, Rich Grise
wrote:

[...]

Hmmm....I must be out of sorts.
A person needs a button with a male thread.
He could make it himself if he knew the size.
The makers price is too high.
He wants someone like Rich to tell him the thread size.
Have I got the facts right so far?

So the hardware store has some screws at 5 cents each
or so for him to try. Let's say he might buy 5 different sizes.
That's a quarter. Is that getting too costly, already?

Brian (sour-grapes) Whatcott, Altus, OK
Old May 20th 05, 11:03 PM
Rich Grise

wrote:
[...]

No, it's just that in the UK, inch parts (apparently) are kind
of few and far between. Didn't they used to refer to them as
"English" vs metric? Ironic, ain't it? :-)

The existing shaft on the switch has a male threaded stud. The
button (or knob) needs a female thread. But I'd think that even
in UK, there's _somebody_ _somewhere_ who has a 4-40 nut or a
6-32 nut on hand, just to check. As Peter said, if he knows
the thread size, he can make a button.
According to http://www.csgnetwork.com/screwinfo.html ,
A #4 screw is about .112" OD, which is mumble-mumble millimeters -
whaddaya, multiply by 25.4? And #6 is .138". The -40 or -32 is
just number of threads per inch, which divided by 25.4 is number
of threads per millimeter. With a magnifier and decent scale,
it's trivially easy to measure them. He could theoretically
even get the right sized tap, and just drill and tap a piece
of plastic. What would international mail be on a 2-ounce,
$3.00 tap?

For that matter, he could make a little form, add some mold
release, and pour some epoxy into it and make a knob in place.

Cheers!
Rich

Old May 21st 05, 04:57 PM
Rich Grise

On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:08:10 +0100, Peter wrote:

Rich Grise wrote

The existing shaft on the switch has a male threaded stud. The
button (or knob) needs a female thread. But I'd think that even
in UK, there's _somebody_ _somewhere_ who has a 4-40 nut or a
6-32 nut on hand, just to check. As Peter said, if he knows
the thread size, he can make a button.

It certainly isn't 4-40 (which I assume is 4-40 UNC, same as commonly
used on D-connector male screwlocks) as that is too big. The thread OD
is slightly less than 3mm.

Oh, dear. That's a tiny little bugger. I was thinking of the ones
I'd seen many years ago, in the US military. For what it's worth, the
next smaller common sizes are 3-48 and 2-56, but I imagine you've
looked them up by now.

Sure I could get some screws...

BTW the price of the whole switch was quoted at US$72... but this is
AVIATION Naturally, it would come with a batch number and an 8130-3
form with a nice rubber stamp on it.

Yeah, for that price, at least in my case, it's worth doing a little
bit of sculpture or what-not. Do they have "Sculpey" over there? It
behaves a lot like modeling clay (which I believe the Brits call
"plasticine"), but when you mold it to the shape you want, you can
bake it and it hardens to the consistency of bulk HDPE, or a little
harder.

I'm also a little surprised that by this time somebody hasn't come
up with a knob from their junque box and dropped it in an envelope yet.

Good Luck!
Rich

Old May 21st 05, 05:02 PM
BobG

I bet they have one at SkyCraft Parts and Surplus in Winter Park
Florida. email me a good closeup picture of the unit or the switch.

Old May 23rd 05, 06:48 PM
Gord Beaman

Peter wrote:

"BobG" wrote:

I bet they have one at SkyCraft Parts and Surplus in Winter Park
Florida. email me a good closeup picture of the unit or the switch.

I've just got one sent to me by a very kind person - thank you all!

Is this a great group or what!...does my old pessimistic heart
good...
--

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,
and it must be working 'cause I'm
the oldest now that I've ever been"

Slaving autopilot to a VOR? Jay Honeck Owning 22 May 29th 04 06:09 PM
mitchell autopilot dave Owning 1 May 5th 04 06:11 PM
IMC without an autopilot Jon Kraus Instrument Flight Rules 101 April 18th 04 07:17 PM
Chelton AP-3C autopilot Kyler Laird Owning 0 April 2nd 04 03:08 PM
KAP140 Autopilot Details News Instrument Flight Rules 27 October 22nd 03 02:01 AM