Byron Airport's Proposed House Thermal

Old August 6th 10, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Byron Airport's Proposed House Thermal

Looks like Byron, CA airport might get a reliable house thermal in the
future.
http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/article....mc_sect =adv

-Paul

Old August 6th 10, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Aug 6, 11:07*am, sisu1a wrote:
Looks like Byron, CA airport might get a reliable house thermal in the
future.http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/article....html?WT.mc_id...

-Paul

is there still a standing NOTAM about loitering in the vicinity of
power plants dams and refineries? I recall that was pretty typical in
the few years after 2001 but haven't heard much about it lately.

A coal power plant saved one of my longest flights in the Cherokee
once. That was during the time when that NOTAM was active so I was
quick to leave that thermal as soon as i could make it somewhere else.
Old August 6th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 6, 9:12*am, Tony wrote:
On Aug 6, 11:07*am, sisu1a wrote:

Looks like Byron, CA airport might get a reliable house thermal in the
future.http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/article....html?WT.mc_id...

-Paul

is there still a standing NOTAM about loitering in the vicinity of
power plants dams and refineries? *I recall that was pretty typical in
the few years after 2001 but haven't heard much about it lately.

A coal power plant saved one of my longest flights in the Cherokee
once. *That was during the time when that NOTAM was active so I was
quick to leave that thermal as soon as i could make it somewhere else.

There is already a peeker power plant North of Byron in Pittsburg that
has has helped at least one pilot on our rare Sacromento delta
crossings. It's now in several of our waypoint databases. It's just
never been operating at significant load when I've needed it :-(

The NOTAM you are thinking of was probably referring to nuclear power
plants.

Darryl
Old August 6th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_3_]

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:07:08 -0700 (PDT), sisu1a
wrote:

Looks like Byron, CA airport might get a reliable house thermal in the
future.
http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/article....mc_sect =adv

-Paul

Great, 2.6 miles on final for 30...stand by for the breathless
articles about daredevil glider pilots endangering real aircraft...;-(

rj
Old August 6th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

The NOTAM you are thinking of was probably referring to nuclear power
plants.

found it on AOPA's website:

4/0811 ...SPECIAL NOTICE... THIS IS A RESTATEMENT OF A PREVIOUSLY
ISSUED ADVISORY NOTICE. IN THE INTEREST OF NATIONAL SECURITY AND TO
THE EXTENT PRACTICABLE, PILOTS ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO AVOID THE
AIRSPACE ABOVE, OR IN PROXIMITY TO SUCH SITES AS POWER PLANTS
(NUCLEAR, HYDRO-ELECTRIC, OR COAL), DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL
COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES AND OTHER SIMILAR FACILITIES. PILOTS
SHOULD NOT CIRCLE AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OVER THESE TYPES OF
FACILITIES. WIE UNTIL UFN
Old August 6th 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 6, 10:51*am, Tony wrote:
The NOTAM you are thinking of was probably referring to nuclear power
plants.

found it on AOPA's website:

4/0811 ...SPECIAL NOTICE... THIS IS A RESTATEMENT OF A PREVIOUSLY
ISSUED ADVISORY NOTICE. IN THE INTEREST OF NATIONAL SECURITY AND TO
THE EXTENT PRACTICABLE, PILOTS ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO AVOID THE
AIRSPACE ABOVE, OR IN PROXIMITY TO SUCH SITES AS POWER PLANTS
(NUCLEAR, HYDRO-ELECTRIC, OR COAL), DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL
COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES AND OTHER SIMILAR FACILITIES. PILOTS
SHOULD NOT CIRCLE AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OVER THESE TYPES OF
FACILITIES. WIE UNTIL UFN

Right, I was thinking of a different one. Interesting they call out
nuclear, hydroelectic and coal. Obviously worried about larger plants,
with nuclear being an obvious issue. Although there are small hydro
plants all over the place. ...but they don't mention natural gas
Peeker plants so I can sleep now without worrying about the feds
knocking on my door.

Darryl
Old August 6th 10, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mario[_2_]

On Aug 6, 9:07*am, sisu1a wrote:
Looks like Byron, CA airport might get a reliable house thermal in the
future.http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/article....html?WT.mc_id...

-Paul

Paul,
There is a thermal available day and night 92 miles SE of Byron (123
degrees), 1.5 miles SE of
the Chowchilla Airport. Better in the winter and cold spring days.
Old August 6th 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

Darryl Ramm wrote:
...but they don't mention natural gas
Peeker plants so I can sleep now without worrying about the feds
knocking on my door.

Darryl

I wouldn't sleep TOO soundly. The government is always itchin' for an
excuse to see what you're up to

Old August 7th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

We have so many power plants (including a large nuke) in Arizona, that
we actually asked the question. Circling in gliders is regarded as a
normal flight pattern and is not considered to be "loitering" by
authorities.

Mike