Phantom at Fallon

Old November 12th 04, 10:45 PM
Leanne

Ours or theirs? Foreign military aircraft based in the U.S. are
required to have U.S. markings.

I can remember a German F-104 flown by a civilian Lockheed pilot at MCAS El
Toro. It came down from Burbank and was painted with a green preservative
paint to somewhat cover the marking, but they were visible up close. It was
there for testing a hook system and were using the field arresting gear.

Leanne

Old November 13th 04, 01:06 AM
Jake Donovan

There are 2 squadrons of German F4's at Holloman with all US Markings with
the exception of the Black, Red and Yellow stripes on the top of the tail.
The HO on the tail is very dark and prominent.

They are 2 tone grey. A very dark grey and a lighter grey.

They are also kept spic and span.

The QF4S's at Fallon in Sept were VX30

Jake

On a side note, the same VX30 F4's were put to use as chase planes during
the AF F22 program.

"José Herculano" wrote in message
Don't think so. I flew in RedFlag with brit and german A/C and they were
marked
like normally.

That's because they were not based in the US. The F-4F that the Germans
have for training in Holloman fly with US markings.
_____________
José Herculano

Old November 13th 04, 02:35 PM
Pechs1

Ed- Those at Red Flag would have been national force aircraft here on NATO
TDY. The Tornados and Phantoms down at Holloman have USAF star-and-bar
on the fuselage and HO tail codes. Originally they had the black
Luftwaffe iron cross on the fuselage side, but that was changed. BRBR

Is that a post 9/11 thing or has that been the way it has always been? I never
noticed.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 13th 04, 06:55 PM
Peter Twydell

In message , Jim
writes
Jdf4cheval wrote:
Thanks, Ed. I thought of that, but if so it didn't have the national marking
stripes along the top of the Vertical Stab.
Joe

Ours or theirs? Foreign military aircraft based in the U.S. are
required to have U.S. markings.

Why?
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old November 13th 04, 08:41 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Peter Twydell wrote:

Jim writes

Jdf4cheval wrote:

Thanks, Ed. I thought of that, but if so it didn't have the national marking
stripes along the top of the Vertical Stab.
Joe

Ours or theirs? Foreign military aircraft based in the U.S. are
required to have U.S. markings.

Why?

Because years ago all of the black helicopter/konspiracy/tin hat
brigade were citing the presence of those German-marked aircraft
and their associated flight training program as proof-positive
that NATO/The Bilderburgers/Various Other Nefarious Organizations
had taken over the United States and all of its military forces.

Since sanity is not required of U. S. Citizens, obviously the U.
S. Gummint and the German gummint felt it was easier just to put
US markings on the aircraft [with the German colors on the tail],
than to waste time fooling with nutcases. I don't even know that
it was the result of an act of Congress rather than just being an
agreement between the two governments.
--
OJ III
Old November 18th 04, 06:52 AM
Leadfoot

"F9pnthr" wrote in message
While visiting the flightline at NAS Fallon in early September, I
photographed
a Phantom taking off. On examining the photo today, it appears to be an
F-4E
from the nose configuration. Also, it's a darker grey than the navy
aircraft in
other photos. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this aircraft mey be?

Civilian contractor using it as a testbed?

The QF4 sounds right. I just wanted to point out another possibilty.

Old November 19th 04, 06:00 PM
Peter Twydell

In message , Ogden Johnson
III writes
Peter Twydell wrote:

Jim writes

Jdf4cheval wrote:

[...]

I'd like to think that answer was a joke; as my Dad used to say: "Ask a
silly question, and you'll get a silly answer".

No smiley, or obvious pointers to humour, or other versions, so I have
the horrible feeling it might be true.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old November 19th 04, 07:25 PM
C.D.Damron

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
No smiley, or obvious pointers to humour, or other versions, so I have
the horrible feeling it might be true.

In 1966, I'm sure that the sensitivities of WWII veterans was more of a
concern.