Lightspeed with Foggles question

Old August 19th 03, 02:09 PM
Snowbird

Stan Gosnell wrote in message ...
(Snowbird) wrote in
om:
Our CFI doesn't like pilots he flies with to use hoods. Apparently
he had a near-miss involving the blind spot they create. Can't argue
with that.

Oh, well...........
Have you considered a different CFI?

How would that help? The blind spot created by the hood would
still be there. And frankly, the hoods I've tried allowed waaaaaay
too much cheating. Obviously I haven't tried them all, your favorite
may be perfect in this regard.

That's what mine a old scratched-up safety glasses with an
area of the lens taped over, then attacked w/ sandpaper and a dremel
tool.

That's extreme. :-) Easier to mask the bottoms, & use some black spray
paint.

Easier for whom? I can attack something w/ sandpaper or even a dremel
tool on the porch while I'm watching my daughter. Spray paint requires
clearing and masking an area to catch overspray, then clean up afterwards.
The "clearing" is non-trivial in any domecile "Mr. Clutter" (aka my
husband) inhabits. Then I have to wait several weeks for enough of the
solvent to out-gas that I can stand to be in the same closed space
with something that's been painted (it's an asthmatic trigger for me).

They're still too thick for me, though. The earpieces on my
glasses are very thin wire, & anything thicker just doesn't cut it.

Concur, hence my interest in mfr a Hood Lamb equivalent for Lightspeeds.

Cheers,
Sydney
Old August 19th 03, 08:32 PM
Stan Gosnell

Roger Halstead wrote in
:

Foggles appear to be nothing more than the inexpensive clear plastic
safety glasses that have been sandblasted, or bead blasted on the
sides and areas where you want to block vision.

Nope, one more modification - the price is jacked way up.

Based on that, the equivalent is quite easy to make, or even
duplicate.

For a fraction of the price. Anything targeted at aviation & pilots is
very expensive, because all those pilots have lots of money. ;-)

I never buy anything sold as being for aviation if I can help it. My
flight bag is a fishing tackle bag I bought on clearance at KMart. Just
about the only thing I own that's sold to pilots is the mike for my
headset. I recently had to replace the cord on my headset, & thought I was
getting ripped off by the electronics supply place for $20, but if you buy
one specifically designed for an aviation headset you'll pay close to $100
for a lower-quality equivalent.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old August 20th 03, 02:20 AM
Snowbird

Roger Halstead wrote in message . ..

Foggles appear to be nothing more than the inexpensive clear plastic
safety glasses that have been sandblasted, or bead blasted on the
sides and areas where you want to block vision.

Concur. As I said in a previous post, that's exactly what mine
are (well, I sanded and used a dremel tool, I didn't bead blast
them).

Cheers,
Sydney
Old August 20th 03, 07:10 AM
Roger Halstead

On 19 Aug 2003 19:32:12 GMT, Stan Gosnell
wrote:

Roger Halstead wrote in
:

Foggles appear to be nothing more than the inexpensive clear plastic
safety glasses that have been sandblasted, or bead blasted on the
sides and areas where you want to block vision.

Nope, one more modification - the price is jacked way up.

I notice that too...Actually a very important modification to the
safety glasses.

Based on that, the equivalent is quite easy to make, or even
duplicate.

For a fraction of the price. Anything targeted at aviation & pilots is
very expensive, because all those pilots have lots of money. ;-)

Not for long:-))

I never buy anything sold as being for aviation if I can help it. My
flight bag is a fishing tackle bag I bought on clearance at KMart. Just
about the only thing I own that's sold to pilots is the mike for my

I use my old briefcase I had at work...before I retired.

headset. I recently had to replace the cord on my headset, & thought I was
getting ripped off by the electronics supply place for $20, but if you buy
one specifically designed for an aviation headset you'll pay close to $100
for a lower-quality equivalent.

I'm not sure I paid that much for my first pair of headsets. Course
they were Sigtronics passive headsets and that was almost 15 years
ago.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)
Old August 20th 03, 04:47 PM
Stan Gosnell

Roger Halstead wrote in
:

Imagine the blind spots in the UK for I/R students since the only
artifical visual inhibitors allowed in the UK for I/R training are IF
Screens (louvered blinds over the pilot side windows)... LOTs of blind
spots generated by those.

Man, but that sure sounds like an accident waiting for a place to
happen.

For the IMC rating, foggles or hoods are acceptable, but for I/R it
must be screens so the student can't "cheat" by peeking out the corner
of his eye.

Sure sounds like a bit of overzealous bureaucracy trading safety for
accuracy. You sure it didn't come from this side of the pond?

The other side makes this side look positively liberal. They don't even
allow GPS approaches at all. They're still depending mostly on NDB's. GPS
is a U.S. innovation too new & undependable for use in the UK. There are
some instructive threads on PPRuNe forums, particularly Rotorheads on this
subject.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old August 22nd 03, 03:50 AM
Roger Halstead

On 20 Aug 2003 15:51:14 GMT, Stan Gosnell
wrote:

Roger Halstead wrote in
:

I'm not sure I paid that much for my first pair of headsets. Course
they were Sigtronics passive headsets and that was almost 15 years
ago.

You got a good deal. I build my own headsets from David Clark hearing
protectors & parts, & it costs me almost that much just for parts, & the
only aviation parts I use are the mike and boom, earseals, & plug, and I
generally recycle as much of that as I can. My boom is one I liberated
from a military headset over 20 years ago, as is the plug.

I've built a lot of stuff over the years, both electronic and
mechanical...Quite often I could purchase something new for the price
of the parts...some times less. NOw that was not the case when surplus
parts were available.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Poly Dope Question Michael Home Built 3 January 29th 04 07:10 AM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM
Lightspeed -- Was:Oshkosh 2003 Redux Jack McAdams Home Built 8 August 14th 03 03:19 PM