Plates for PDA?

Old August 31st 04, 12:32 AM
Kelly Bakst

Default Plates for PDA?

Any recommendations for plates to be viewed on a PDA, NOT including
PocketPlates?

Kelly

Old August 31st 04, 04:13 AM
Stan Gosnell

"Kelly Bakst" wrote in news:9OOYc.16675$Bt5.5294
@twister.socal.rr.com:

Any recommendations for plates to be viewed on a PDA, NOT including
PocketPlates?

All PDAs I know of can view .jpg files........

--
Regards,

Stan

Old August 31st 04, 07:38 AM
Kelly Bakst

Yes - but I'm thinking about a package that lets you view a bunch of charts
(and send updates) and possibly geo-reference charts so you can "fly on
them".

Old August 31st 04, 12:28 PM
John T

"Kelly Bakst" wrote in message

Any recommendations for plates to be viewed on a PDA, NOT including
PocketPlates?

I've been contemplating something similar, myself. Any reason you didn't
want to hear about PocketPlates? Or is that just the one you already know
about?

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old August 31st 04, 02:11 PM
Kyler Laird

"Kelly Bakst" writes:

Yes - but I'm thinking about a package that lets you view a bunch of charts
(and send updates)

I expect most PDAs to be capable of displaying the existing Terminal
Procedures Publications (TPPs). They're distributed as PDFs so you
can easily convert them to whatever you need. Adobe even provides a
PDF viewer for Palm Pilots.
http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...erforpalm.html
(Yes, I realize that something more aviation-specific is probably
desired.)

and possibly geo-reference charts so you can "fly on
them".

I'm curious how you even imagine these plates could be georeferenced.
They're often not close depictions of reality.

--kyler
Old August 31st 04, 02:20 PM
Dave Butler

Kyler Laird wrote:

I'm curious how you even imagine these plates could be georeferenced.
They're often not close depictions of reality.

Doesn't the UPS/Garmin MX20 display your position on approach charts? Is that
just a poor approximation?

Old August 31st 04, 04:11 PM
Kyler Laird

Dave Butler writes:

I'm curious how you even imagine these plates could be georeferenced.
They're often not close depictions of reality.

Doesn't the UPS/Garmin MX20 display your position on approach charts? Is that
just a poor approximation?

If so, I'd guess that it uses Jepp plates. The FAA ones have lots of
the squiggly "we'll just skip a few miles here" lines.

--kyler
Old August 31st 04, 04:18 PM
Stan Gosnell

"Kelly Bakst" wrote in news1VYc.16725$Bt5.901
@twister.socal.rr.com:

Yes - but I'm thinking about a package that lets you view a bunch of charts
(and send updates) and possibly geo-reference charts so you can "fly on
them".

Georeference? The paper charts aren't georeferenced, so how would you do
that with the same thing on a PDA? I'm not sure I understand what you're
getting at by "fly on them", either. Maybe I'm missing something.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old August 31st 04, 07:08 PM
Kelly Bakst

First off, everything inside the 10nm circle on NOAA plates is to scale -
meaning you can indeed georeference them. By "Fly on them" on mean a system
that will use your GPS location and plot your position on top of the plate.

data plates Del Rawlins Home Built 2 August 21st 04 10:34 PM
online Canadian approach plates Robert M. Gary Instrument Flight Rules 8 July 6th 04 04:43 AM
Buttonville Approach Plates Defly Instrument Flight Rules 4 May 22nd 04 07:40 PM
NACO approach plates J Haggerty Instrument Flight Rules 8 April 19th 04 04:04 AM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: I've added your approach plates. Kyler Laird Instrument Flight Rules 20 April 19th 04 12:02 AM