Plates for PDA?

Old August 31st 04, 07:10 PM
Kelly Bakst

I owned Anywheremap a couple of years ago, and actually got my money back -
just got tired of the lousy customer service, broken promises, and straight
out lies (like that AWM has approaches - didn't then, and STILL doesn't,
although they advertise widely that it does) from the company. Would never
consider doing business with them again.

Kelly
"John T" wrote in message
. ..
"Kelly Bakst" wrote in message

Any recommendations for plates to be viewed on a PDA, NOT including
PocketPlates?

I've been contemplating something similar, myself. Any reason you didn't
want to hear about PocketPlates? Or is that just the one you already know
about?

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old August 31st 04, 07:11 PM
Kyler Laird

Stan Gosnell writes:

Georeference? The paper charts aren't georeferenced, so how would you do
that with the same thing on a PDA?

I think it would make a great community project to georeference
the plates. The main problem is that not all of the locations
on an FAA plate cleanly map to a physical location.

I'm not sure I understand what you're
getting at by "fly on them", either.

moving map

--kyler
Old August 31st 04, 09:16 PM
Bob Moore

"Kelly Bakst" wrote

I owned Anywheremap a couple of years ago, and actually got my money
back - just got tired of the lousy customer service, broken promises,
and straight out lies (like that AWM has approaches - didn't then, and
STILL doesn't, although they advertise widely that it does) from the
company. Would never consider doing business with them again.

I was one of the earliest users of AWM, and one of the first to
bail-out due to the reasons mentioned above. NEVER again....

Bob Moore

Old September 1st 04, 04:38 AM
Stan Gosnell

"Kelly Bakst" wrote in
:

First off, everything inside the 10nm circle on NOAA plates is to scale
- meaning you can indeed georeference them. By "Fly on them" on mean a
system that will use your GPS location and plot your position on top of
the plate.

'To scale' and 'accurately plotted' are not the same thing. If you just want
a general idea, then it might work. What app do you plan to use to display
both the chart graphic and the GPS position?

--
Regards,

Stan

Old September 1st 04, 04:51 AM
Hilton

Kelly Bakst wrote:
Any recommendations for plates to be viewed on a PDA, NOT including
PocketPlates?

Kelly,

Are approach charts/plates really usable and safe to use on a PDA? I'm
asking specifically about the small screen size (let's ignore the fact that
it runs on batteries etc). It seems like the Jepp size is about right. I
can't imagine either: 1. shrinking the page into a PDA's screen, or 2.
scrolling around while on an approach.

I look forward to reading your comments. Thanks,

Hilton

Old September 1st 04, 08:21 AM

Kyler Laird wrote:

Stan Gosnell writes:

Georeference? The paper charts aren't georeferenced, so how would you do
that with the same thing on a PDA?

I think it would make a great community project to georeference
the plates. The main problem is that not all of the locations
on an FAA plate cleanly map to a physical location.

Would that be in lieu of jail time?

Old September 1st 04, 08:24 AM

Stan Gosnell wrote:

"Kelly Bakst" wrote in news1VYc.16725$Bt5.901
@twister.socal.rr.com:

Yes - but I'm thinking about a package that lets you view a bunch of charts
(and send updates) and possibly geo-reference charts so you can "fly on
them".

Georeference? The paper charts aren't georeferenced, so how would you do
that with the same thing on a PDA? I'm not sure I understand what you're
getting at by "fly on them", either. Maybe I'm missing something.

Jeppesen geo-references its approach charts (and now en route charts) in Flight
Deck. But, that is prioprietary.

Old September 1st 04, 02:10 PM
Kyler Laird

Stan Gosnell writes:

First off, everything inside the 10nm circle on NOAA plates is to scale
- meaning you can indeed georeference them. By "Fly on them" on mean a
system that will use your GPS location and plot your position on top of
the plate.

'To scale' and 'accurately plotted' are not the same thing. If you just want
a general idea, then it might work.

I think it might be worthwhile. I've thought about ways of describing the
georeferencing so that, for example, you could get a reasonable idea of
where you are even when on the 222 radial of ROGEE here.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/.../00001R17L.pdf

What app do you plan to use to display
both the chart graphic and the GPS position?

That shouldn't be a problem. I've already got a script for more powerful
computers to handle such displays. It could easily be modified to handle
the fuzzy areas of plates.

Generic moving map software could be used as long as the user realizes
that the display is inaccurate in some areas.

--kyler
Old September 1st 04, 02:10 PM
Kyler Laird

"Hilton" writes:

Are approach charts/plates really usable and safe to use on a PDA? I'm
asking specifically about the small screen size (let's ignore the fact that
it runs on batteries etc). It seems like the Jepp size is about right. I
can't imagine either: 1. shrinking the page into a PDA's screen, or 2.
scrolling around while on an approach.

What's wrong with scrolling? Do you really need to see the entire plate
when you're on the approach? I agree that you *do* need to be familiar
with it. That means you should certainly scroll/zoom around the whole
thing before starting the approach. Once you've begun, however, I'd
expect that just being able to see the area around the current location
(at a user-selected zoom level) would be enough. Maybe not. I haven't
tried it.

I'm using a pen computer with a nice big screen for my experiments these
days. I'm much more comfortable with that size.

--kyler
Old September 1st 04, 05:53 PM
Stan Gosnell

Kyler Laird wrote in
:

"Hilton" writes:

Are approach charts/plates really usable and safe to use on a PDA? I'm
asking specifically about the small screen size (let's ignore the fact
that it runs on batteries etc). It seems like the Jepp size is about
right. I can't imagine either: 1. shrinking the page into a PDA's
screen, or 2. scrolling around while on an approach.

What's wrong with scrolling? Do you really need to see the entire plate
when you're on the approach? I agree that you *do* need to be familiar
with it. That means you should certainly scroll/zoom around the whole
thing before starting the approach. Once you've begun, however, I'd
expect that just being able to see the area around the current location
(at a user-selected zoom level) would be enough. Maybe not. I haven't
tried it.

I'm with Hilton on this. I need to be able to see the entire plate, very
quickly. Sometimes I need to quickly reference a frequency, or an
altitude, or remind myself of the missed approach procedure, or any number
of things. I can't imagine doing this in a 2-pilot cockpit, much less
alone in minimum weather.

Maybe as a backup, just to follow along, but the standard Jepp plate is
about as small as is practical, I think. We're starting to investigate
some electronic flight bags, with the approach plates built in, and those
might work, but a screen the size of a PDA is just too small to work with,
as a sole source of approach information.

--
Regards,

Stan

data plates Del Rawlins Home Built 2 August 21st 04 10:34 PM
online Canadian approach plates Robert M. Gary Instrument Flight Rules 8 July 6th 04 04:43 AM
Buttonville Approach Plates Defly Instrument Flight Rules 4 May 22nd 04 07:40 PM
NACO approach plates J Haggerty Instrument Flight Rules 8 April 19th 04 04:04 AM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: I've added your approach plates. Kyler Laird Instrument Flight Rules 20 April 19th 04 12:02 AM