Plates for PDA?

Old September 2nd 04, 03:24 AM
John Clonts

"Stan Gosnell" wrote in message ...
"Kelly Bakst" wrote in
:

First off, everything inside the 10nm circle on NOAA plates is to scale
- meaning you can indeed georeference them. By "Fly on them" on mean a
system that will use your GPS location and plot your position on top of
the plate.

'To scale' and 'accurately plotted' are not the same thing. If you just want
a general idea, then it might work. What app do you plan to use to display
both the chart graphic and the GPS position?

I have done quite a bit of this, plotting gps tracks on georeferenced NACO approach plates. I use Oziexplorer,
which also has a "moving map" mode, though I've never used it real-time that way.

I posted some examples on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation under the title "Approach Plate Track Plotting".

I doubt there is any way to automatically georeference the images, but I have a growing collection of manually
georeferenced plates.

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old September 2nd 04, 05:46 AM
Stan Gosnell

"John Clonts" wrote in
:

I doubt there is any way to automatically georeference the images, but I
have a growing collection of manually georeferenced plates.

So, John, would you bet your life on your manual georeferencing?

--
Regards,

Stan

Old September 2nd 04, 02:09 PM
John Clonts

Stan Gosnell wrote in message ...
"John Clonts" wrote in
:

I doubt there is any way to automatically georeference the images, but I
have a growing collection of manually georeferenced plates.

So, John, would you bet your life on your manual georeferencing?

No, but I don't bet my life on my handheld moving-map GPS either, when
I use it to "monitor" a VOR approach. But it sure is useful
nonetheless.

Also, like I said, I've only used them to plot gps tracks after the
fact, in the comfort of my living room.

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ
Old September 2nd 04, 04:10 PM
Kyler Laird

Stan Gosnell writes:

Maybe as a backup, just to follow along, but the standard Jepp plate is
about as small as is practical, I think. We're starting to investigate
some electronic flight bags, with the approach plates built in, and those
might work, but a screen the size of a PDA is just too small to work with,
as a sole source of approach information.

It would beat getting the information from a controller.

--kyler
Old September 2nd 04, 04:10 PM
Kyler Laird

Stan Gosnell writes:

I doubt there is any way to automatically georeference the images, but I
have a growing collection of manually georeferenced plates.

So, John, would you bet your life on your manual georeferencing?

I missed it. When did we start betting our lives on handheld moving maps?

"Hmmm...the needle's at full deflection but it sure looks like I'm nowhere
close to that mountain so I guess I'll just take a look..."

--kyler
Old September 2nd 04, 04:50 PM
Stan Gosnell

Kyler Laird wrote in news
Stan Gosnell writes:

Maybe as a backup, just to follow along, but the standard Jepp plate is
about as small as is practical, I think. We're starting to investigate
some electronic flight bags, with the approach plates built in, and those
might work, but a screen the size of a PDA is just too small to work with,
as a sole source of approach information.

It would beat getting the information from a controller.

--kyler

Maybe. But it sure wouldn't beat getting it from a standard approach plate.
Or an electronic depiction of a plate at standard size. Miniaturization is
wonderful for some things, not so great for others.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old September 2nd 04, 04:53 PM
Stan Gosnell

Kyler Laird wrote in :

I missed it. When did we start betting our lives on handheld moving maps?

I don't know. IIRC, this all started when I asked what you were going to do
with the charts on the PDA, and I seemed to get the impression you wanted to
use them for flying approaches. Maybe I misunderstood you. If you're using
them for approach information, you're betting your life on them.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old September 2nd 04, 06:10 PM
Kyler Laird

Stan Gosnell writes:

]]] So, John, would you bet your life on your manual georeferencing?

I missed it. When did we start betting our lives on handheld moving maps?

I don't know. IIRC, this all started when I asked what you were going to do
with the charts on the PDA, and I seemed to get the impression you wanted to
use them for flying approaches. Maybe I misunderstood you. If you're using
them for approach information, you're betting your life on them.

I'm not using a PDA for any of the flight stuff I do ('cept weight
and balance calculations and sometimes a DUATS call).

Even if someone does use a PDA to display the approach data, that's
quite a bit different than "betting your life" on the accuracy of
the georeferencing used for moving map display.

If you want to get into the difference of depending on reading
altitudes and frequencies from a PDA vs. a piece of paper, that's
another (interesting) topic but it certainly doesn't have anything
to do with the georeferencing you mentioned.

Speaking of "manual georeferencing"...how do you think the
sectional images are done?

--kyler
Old September 2nd 04, 11:26 PM
C Kingsbury

Kyler Laird wrote in message ...

What's wrong with scrolling? Do you really need to see the entire plate
when you're on the approach?

I find myself checking and double-checking things on different parts
of the plate throughout the approach. I hate scrolling to see the full
page of a website I'm looking at sitting on my ass in front of the
computer, let alone while I'm bouncing through the clouds.

I'm using a pen computer with a nice big screen for my experiments these
days. I'm much more comfortable with that size.

I find the paper plates to be absolutely perfect in terms of size in
particular and human factors in general. Plus no batteries, NMEA,
anything to worry about.

OK, having a little plane tracking my position around them would be
nice, but I'll survive until I can afford an MFD for that. Any kind of
moving map can provide most of that, and I just can't imagine flying
without paper plates (cups optional).

-cwk.
Old September 3rd 04, 05:21 AM
Kelly Bakst

The thread started because I want a full set of approach plates on my PDA
rather than paper. Unlike others, I have no problem at all using the plate
on the PDA - when you think about flying an approach, you realize that you
use it only at specific "phases" of the approach. If you have your head
down staring at the plate for long periods of time, you probably need some
help.

The tracking of the aircraft over the plate by georeferencing it is only for
additional situational awareness. It's not legal to use for navigation -
not on a handheld, anyway. I must point out, however, that the MX20 does
exactly this (on Jepp plates) very nicely.

Kelly
"Stan Gosnell" wrote in message
Kyler Laird wrote in
:

data plates Del Rawlins Home Built 2 August 21st 04 10:34 PM
online Canadian approach plates Robert M. Gary Instrument Flight Rules 8 July 6th 04 04:43 AM
Buttonville Approach Plates Defly Instrument Flight Rules 4 May 22nd 04 07:40 PM
NACO approach plates J Haggerty Instrument Flight Rules 8 April 19th 04 04:04 AM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: I've added your approach plates. Kyler Laird Instrument Flight Rules 20 April 19th 04 12:02 AM