First Solo In Actual Conditions

Old September 2nd 04, 11:47 PM
Jeremy Lew

"David B. Cole" wrote in message
m...
Wizard of Draws wrote in message

news:BD5BD60A.1F633%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdra ws.com...
Solo?

Jeff,

I have the IR, but this was my first time in actual without an instructor.

I think he was referring to the pilot in the right seat. I know he wasn't
your instructor or instrument-rated himself, but any sort of pilot who can
dial in frequencies and squawk codes is quite a help when flying IMC. My
first IMC without an instructor (in July) was with a passenger who doesn't
know his ass from his elbow when it comes to planes, but he was still able
act as a pen and chart holder! I dropped him off and then got about 2
minutes of truly solo solid IMC while climbing through an overcast layer,
but the rest of the flight was in the sunshine on top and the destination
was VFR.

Jeremy

Old September 3rd 04, 04:18 PM
David B. Cole

Peter,

I understand that, which is why in the original post I stated that he
was only checked out in normally asirated planes. When I hear the
term "checked out" it usually means being authorized to use the planes
of a particular operation. As far as I know the FAA doesn't see any
difference between normally aspirated and fuel injected engines, so I
thought it was obvious it was an operator restriction. Maybe there
is another meaning and if so I will provide more clarity in the
future.

Dave

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"David B. Cole" wrote in message
m...
Since we wanted to switch seats at the destination, he wouldn't have
been able to fly left seat without being checked out.

As David said, that would be a club regulation issue. The FAA has no
prohibition against you acting as PIC from the right seat, nor against him
manipulating the controls from the left.

Perhaps you should clarify whose rules you're talking about and what you
mean by "checked out".

Pete

Old September 3rd 04, 04:29 PM
David B. Cole

Jeff,

I guess the correct phrase would have been sans-CFII instead of solo.
It was fun, but served to reinforce my belief that it is to be
respected.

Dave

Wizard of Draws wrote in message news:BD5D2CAB.1F9A9%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdra ws.com...
On 9/2/04 10:41 AM, in article
, "David B. Cole"
wrote:

Wizard of Draws wrote in message
news:BD5BD60A.1F633%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdra ws.com...
On 9/1/04 4:16 PM, in article
, "David B. Cole"
wrote:

On Saturday I had my first opportunity to fly solo in actual since my
IR checkride. One of my biggest concerns since getting the rating was
how I would make my first entry into actual without the benefit of an
instructor at my side. With about ten hours of actual during my
training I had always felt comfortable in that environment. But I
knew the true test would be doing it alone, or almost alone. Another
pilot who had just gotten checked out at my FBO and who had passed his
instrument checkride about a week earlier wanted to go up, so I
figured it would be a great opportunity to get some simulated
instrument time, knock off a little rust , and get an approach or two
in for currency. Because the other pilot was only checked-out in
planes with normally aspirated engines, we had to use one of the older
172s.

Solo?

Jeff,

I have the IR, but this was my first time in actual without an instructor.

Dave

Gotcha. I kept waiting for the other guy to leave. g

Congrats. It's pretty fun knowing you can get through that stuff by yourself
isn't it?

Old September 3rd 04, 05:41 PM
David Brooks

Yes; I just wanted to verify this is the case because there are common
misapprehensions about the regulatory qualifications needed to fly the plane
or act as SP. I suppose your phrase "normally aspirated" as opposed to
"fixed gear" or "under 200HP" should have clued me that wasn't what you
meant.

-- David Brooks

Old September 3rd 04, 07:19 PM
John R. Copeland

Dave, along the lines of "clarity" which you mentioned:
"Normally aspirated" contrasts with "Supercharged", while
"Carbureted" contrasts with "Fuel Injected".
But that's OK -- we all finally understood what you meant.

If I were renting out fuel-injected or and/or supercharged airplanes,
I'd also want to be sure my renters understood how to operate them.
But I see no reason for the FAA to be involved in the matter.
---JRC---

"David B. Cole" wrote in message =
m...
Peter,
=20

Old September 3rd 04, 07:49 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"John R. Copeland" wrote:

If I were renting out fuel-injected or and/or supercharged airplanes,
I'd also want to be sure my renters understood how to operate them.
But I see no reason for the FAA to be involved in the matter.

Other than some quirks in how you start them, I can't think of anything
you really need to know about fuel injection to safely fly a fuel
injected airplane. Certainly nothing that couldn't be taught in a
couple of minutes (i.e. "there's no carb heat").

Supercharging is a bit more complicated. You can get into trouble
and/or damage the airplane, if you don't know how the system works.

A much steeper learning curve is mastering the current crop of avionics.
Somebody who did their instrument training with 2 NAV/COMs and an ADF
can get themselves into a world of hurt if they launch into IMC with a
modern GPS and think they can figure it out as they go. I guess the FAA
figures people are smart enough to not do that.
Old September 3rd 04, 08:11 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:
Other than some quirks in how you start them,

....which don't show up until your renter has flown to a distant airport,
shut down, and now wants to restart the hot engine.

injected airplane. Certainly nothing that couldn't be taught in a
couple of minutes (i.e. "there's no carb heat").

You just made me realize that I should know more about my alternate air
than I do...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old September 3rd 04, 08:32 PM
john smith

While this flight was certainly a good confidence booster,
I realize that flying IMC is a dangerous venture, especially
for someone at my experience level.

Dan Luke wrote:
That was the exact effect my first time flying an approach alone in actual
IMC had on me. You realize that you're in a real, no-kidding, life-or-death
situation and the outcome is entirely up to you. Of course, this is also
true of crossing the street, but in instrument flying you have have a lot
more on the ball to avoid the "or death" option.

First, fly the airplane.
Everything else is secondary.