Navy cutting pilot training by 13 percent in Pensacola, elsewhere

Old January 22nd 05, 11:07 PM
Otis Willie

Default Navy cutting pilot training by 13 percent in Pensacola, elsewhere

Navy cutting pilot training by 13 percent in Pensacola, elsewhere

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=2843471

{EXCERPT} WAVY-TV, VA - 1 hour ago PENSACOLA, Fla. The Navy is cutting
back pilot training because of high retention and low attrition rates
and the looming retirement of some aircraft......

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

-- Otis Willie, 1Lt, US Army (HD, Ret.)
Military News and Information Editor
The American War Library, Est. 1988
http://www.amervets.com
Or our phone number dot com (13105320634.com)
16907 Brighton Avenue
Gardena CA 90247
1-310-532-0634

Military Webmaster Site Link Request Form:
http://www.amervets.com/linkreq.htm

Military and Vet Info-Exchange/Discussion Groups
http://members.aol.com/warlibrary/share.htm
Old January 23rd 05, 03:53 PM
Pechs1

1 hour ago PENSACOLA, Fla. The Navy is cutting
back pilot training because of high retention and low attrition rates
and the looming retirement of some aircraft. BRBR

Nuthin like a lousy economy and hurtin' airlines to keep people in.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 24th 05, 01:51 AM
MICHAEL OLEARY

Well, the low attrition rate was due to the fact that the training command
stopped attriting people because we needed them. The Navy could not get
enough people to want to aviators. One possible answer is that "Topgun" has
lots its recruiting appeal. Maybe we should get a new movie called TST
(time sensitive targeting). It could feature an airplane holding over head
Iraq for 6 hours and still recovery with all of its ordnance. Sorry for the
sarcasm, but the cold war image of the military is a little out of date with
the new generation.
-Moe

"Jim" wrote in message
Pechs1 wrote:

Nuthin like a lousy economy and hurtin' airlines to keep people in.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

And how many times has that circle gone around and around?

Old January 24th 05, 02:28 PM
Pechs1

Michael- It could feature an airplane holding over head
Iraq for 6 hours and still recovery with all of its ordnance. BRBR

Hey, a traps a trap!!!
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 24th 05, 02:32 PM
Pechs1

Michael- It could feature an airplane holding over head
Iraq for 6 hours and still recovery with all of its ordnance. Sorry for the
sarcasm, but the cold war image of the military is a little out of date with
the new generation. BRBR

C'mon Moe. I guess you weren't in when training anchorages and about 70 traps
for an entire cuise(7 months) was the norm. Sailors/Aviators belong on ships,
ships belong at sea. What could be better than flying off a boat, doing your
job, gettin' some green ink?

Is the new generation so soft that they whine about doing their job, not always
training for it?

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 24th 05, 07:56 PM
Tiger

Pechs1 wrote:

Is the new generation so soft that they whine about doing their job, not always
training for it?

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Well frankly yeah.... While it seems more prevalent in the ground
pounders as of late. The numbers of stories of folks who seem be like
Goldie Hawn in "Pvt. Benjamin" And joined the Navy with "Golf courses
and the private rooms", seems higher than 10 years ago. Welcome to the
Oprah/ DR. Phill/ soccer playing/ alergic to peanuts/ never open a book
thanks to Google generation.... :-[

Old January 25th 05, 01:45 AM
MICHAEL OLEARY

Sorry for the bleak outlook. Just passing on some feedback from former rag
students of mine. It is a different generation of aviator. As for me, it
is what they pay me for and supporting the guys on the ground is indeed a
noble task. My commentary was more on the Nintendo generation and their
perceived lifestyle of naval aviation.
-Moe

Old January 25th 05, 02:00 PM
nafod40

MICHAEL OLEARY wrote:
Sorry for the bleak outlook. Just passing on some feedback from former rag
students of mine. It is a different generation of aviator. As for me, it
is what they pay me for and supporting the guys on the ground is indeed a
noble task. My commentary was more on the Nintendo generation and their
perceived lifestyle of naval aviation.

There's no fundamental difference in the genetics of this generation and
the one that kicked butt in WWII. Humans don't evolve that fast (and
don't evolve at all in Georgia). The only difference is the world they
grew up in. And it's hard to criticize them for responding to their
environment when we're the ones that created the environment. Make both
sides jump through time machines going the opposite directions and we'd
be spending our hours playing DOOM IV while they whine (?) about us.

If the chips are down, they'll step up just like always.

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 12:14 PM
Enlisted pilots John Randolph Naval Aviation 41 July 21st 03 02:11 PM