Cherokee Carb Heat.

Old July 24th 03, 03:54 AM
Greg Esres

Default Cherokee Carb Heat.

Is this just a technique or proper procedure?

All the Piper POH's I've seen say only use carb heat if you suspect
carb icing.

Old July 24th 03, 05:19 AM
Jay Honeck

Plus: Hey Jay is this a family event at Oshkosh you're planning? I've got
my
non-flying family driving with me up to OSH and would like to meet some

other
local and non-local friendly folks!

As a matter of procedure we don't use carb heat in the pattern at all in
Pipers. In fact, in nine years of flying 140s thru 235s, I've only used
carb heat "for real" once. (Of course, I don't fly IFR...)

As for the Oshkosh get together being a "family event", well, my two
children (ages 9 and 12) will be there, so I guess we'd better keep our
clothes on for the most part!

If you're gonna stop by, it would be good to sign the roster (see the post
"Oshkosh Get Together Roster -- Sign in, please!") so we all have some idea
of who's who... (By the way, did you see the invite at Green Castle?)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 24th 03, 06:37 AM
Teacherjh

Actually, I got in a situation in a cherokee (a 1980 Dakota) where the engine
was icing up and quitting just on the taxiway. By the time I got to the runup,
the engine just died. Happened a few times, had the thing looked at, the
conclusion was carb ice. On the ground, no less.

Jose

Old July 24th 03, 08:08 AM
Marty Ross

I just scanned my Warrior II POH for this. It says to use carb heat if you
suspect icing (anywhere, but particularly in descents with low throttle
settings), and advises on how to check for the presence if icing. There's
also an optional carb ice detection system available for my model. Unlike
the Grumman AA1-C I fly, however, the descent checklist in the Piper says
"CARB HEAT ON (if needed)" instead of an unqualified "CARB HEAT ON".

I seem to remember hearing something about the location of the carburator
intake under the hood in the Cherokee -- it gets pre-warmed air or something
like that, and that's why it's not as likely to happen.

There's a decent article out there about this, if you're interested:
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182189-1.html.

Happy Landings!

"Hobbes1157" wrote in message
Hi there. I've got a question about the carb heat in a Cherokee. I was

told
that you only need to apply it for a short while (5 seconds) while on

downwind
to make sure the carb is clear of ice. She (CFI) said that Pipers don't

need it
all the time as Cessnas do. Is this just a technique or proper procedure?
Comments appreciated.
Plus: Hey Jay is this a family event at Oshkosh you're planning? I've got

my
non-flying family driving with me up to OSH and would like to meet some

other
local and non-local friendly folks!

Thanks,
Nolan

PPSEL, INST, commerial student
IA24 (green castle)

Old July 24th 03, 04:19 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Teacherjh wrote:

Actually, I got in a situation in a cherokee (a 1980 Dakota) where the engine
was icing up and quitting just on the taxiway. By the time I got to the runup,
the engine just died. Happened a few times, had the thing looked at, the
conclusion was carb ice. On the ground, no less.

The main reason you don't need to habitually use carb heat with a Lycoming
is the fact that they run the induction tubes through the oil sump. When
the engine is warm, the hot oil tends to keep the carb warm. The situation
you describe (cold engine, near-closed throttle plate) would be perfect for
formation of carb ice if the humidity were high.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 25th 03, 02:55 PM
Rocky

pamaway (Hobbes1157) wrote in message ...
Hi there. I've got a question about the carb heat in a Cherokee. I was told
that you only need to apply it for a short while (5 seconds) while on downwind
to make sure the carb is clear of ice. She (CFI) said that Pipers don't need it
all the time as Cessnas do. Is this just a technique or proper procedure?
Comments appreciated.
Plus: Hey Jay is this a family event at Oshkosh you're planning? I've got my
non-flying family driving with me up to OSH and would like to meet some other
local and non-local friendly folks!

Thanks,
Nolan

PPSEL, INST, commerial student
IA24 (green castle)

Nolan
For the lesser experienced pilots in particular, the use of carb heat
can save you some anxious moments without unduly affecting the engine
performance in the pattern. Of course you'll notice the loss of
performance if you forget to turn carb heat OFF if you elect to make a
take-off or go-around. Even then it isn't life threatening unless
really adverse conditions exist.
A little trick that I learned back in the early 50's, and pass on to
all who don't know of it, is using the PRIMER to keep the engine
running if it shuts down for carb ice. The primer injects fuel
directly into the intake manifold bypassing the carburetor and can
keep the engine running intermittently and in many cases generate
enough heat for the carb heat to become effective again. I've used
this technique a few times in aircraft to get home. In Pipers (PA25
Pawnee while crop dusting) and Cessnas (C-172 and 177).
Ol Shy & Bashful

Have you ever experienced carb ice with an injector carb? flybynightkarmarepair Home Built 1 January 31st 05 01:48 AM
Induction System Water Problem Mike Spera Owning 1 January 30th 05 05:29 AM
Carb heat specs? Rich S. Home Built 2 November 13th 04 04:39 PM
alternate carb heat Ray Toews Home Built 16 October 29th 04 12:41 PM
Carb heat shroud Gene Seibel Owning 3 January 27th 04 04:13 AM