Duo NV lands on Heavenly Ski Resort. Not kidding...

Old February 6th 12, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Duo NV lands on Heavenly Ski Resort. Not kidding...

http://southtahoenow.com/story/02/05...copter-its-way

I was just in this glider (absolutely gorgeous) last Wednesday. Holy crap. Epic Fail.
Old February 6th 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Feb 6, 10:25*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
http://southtahoenow.com/story/02/05...-crash-heavenl...

I was just in this glider (absolutely gorgeous) last Wednesday. *Holy crap. *Epic Fail.

Not to be contentious, but more fodder for the safety
monkeys...................looks like this guy did a fantastic job
getting the sailplane down safe and with all in 1 piece.

I am interested in learning how the "loss of air" caused this to
happen.

I will not be criticizing the pilot, as we are all prone to being in
the news someday, despite the never ending articles in Soaring about
safety.

Brad
Old February 6th 12, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Agreed. Excellent job landing safely here. Miraculous.
Old February 6th 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_2_]

On Feb 6, 1:41*pm, Brad wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:25*am, Sean Fidler wrote:

http://southtahoenow.com/story/02/05...-crash-heavenl...

I was just in this glider (absolutely gorgeous) last Wednesday. *Holy crap. *Epic Fail.

Not to be contentious, but more fodder for the safety
monkeys...................looks like this guy did a fantastic job
getting the sailplane down safe and with all in 1 piece.

I am interested in learning how the "loss of air" caused this to
happen.

I will not be criticizing the pilot, as we are all prone to being in
the news someday, despite the never ending articles in Soaring about
safety.

Brad

Oh bullcrap. With 1/3 the skill and the judgement we expect of a solo
ready student this was a routine local flight.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 6th 12, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

"Outraged..." As if the pilots wanted to land there. Nice job
landing in a tough spot. I am just glad that none of the farmers in
any of the fields I have landed in have been, "outraged!"

Bruno - B4
Old February 6th 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Jardini[_2_]

Very nice landing and they saved the aircraft, hoorah. But it appears
they might have put bystanders who were skiing at significant risk.

If a skier had been hurt, and they might have, it would be preferable
to put the glider in the trees.

Mark
Old February 7th 12, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Feb 6, 2:11*pm, Evan Ludeman wrote:

Oh bullcrap. *With 1/3 the skill and the judgement we expect of a solo
ready student this was a routine local flight.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

But it's obvious - he had to land when the tail fell off!!

Kirk
66
Old February 7th 12, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
matt michael

Of course, witness accounts are typically fairly useless especially
when it comes to estimating height but still, I found the following
comment interesting"

"Yeah, I was actually there on the mountain today, and had an
opportunity to see the aftermath. over the past few days that glider
has been getting uncomfortably close to many chair lifts on the
mountain. Dangerously close in my opinion. While riding Dipper Express
the other day, I was scared it was going to hit the lift while I was
on it."

Matt Michael
SSF monkey.
Old February 7th 12, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Can you site this source please? Link? Article?

Probably not uncommon to hear from certain segments of the human species when a glider flies down the ridge even 200 feet above...

So fairly useless is probably spot in here.
Old February 7th 12, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
matt michael

On Feb 6, 8:13*pm, Sean Fidler wrote:
Can you site this source please? *Link? *Article?

Probably not uncommon to hear from certain segments of the human species when a glider flies down the ridge even 200 feet above...

So fairly useless is probably spot in here.

it's in the comments on this page:
http://carsonnow.org/story/02/05/201...-reportedly-ok

What do the regs say about flying over people and structures?

Another interesting question is to look at the elevation of the
landing site relative to elevation/distance to South Tahoe airport.

I think that if there had been injuries/fatalities it wouldn't be left
to a monkey to be asking these questions.

MM