marker beacon

Old October 21st 03, 07:59 PM
Gary Gunn

Default marker beacon

How much is a marker beacon receiver really used in IFR flying? I'm
building a new panel and need to decide if I want to include one or
not.
Appreciate your input.

Gary Gunn
Old October 21st 03, 08:13 PM
john smith

Gary Gunn wrote:
How much is a marker beacon receiver really used in IFR flying? I'm
building a new panel and need to decide if I want to include one or
not.

Shoot an actual ILS to minimums and you may be glad you have it. Good
aural situational awareness. Good cross reference when you hit a marker,
you know from the approach plate what altitude you should be at.

Old October 21st 03, 08:49 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Gary Gunn wrote:
How much is a marker beacon receiver really used in IFR flying? I'm
building a new panel and need to decide if I want to include one or

What audio panel were you considering that didn't have an integrated
3LMB?

If anything I think the consideration would be the big honking antenna

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 21st 03, 08:59 PM
David Megginson

(Gary Gunn) writes:

How much is a marker beacon receiver really used in IFR flying? I'm
building a new panel and need to decide if I want to include one or
not.
Appreciate your input.

In Canada, they are not used at all: the first time I heard mine go
off was when I overflew Albany NY at altitude during a flight in the
U.S. Go to
www.myairplane.com and look at the approaches for airports
you might like to visit some day.

Note that you can get an audio panel with the marker beacons built in,
so it's not a big extra cost or a lot of extra panel space.

All the best,

David
Old October 22nd 03, 02:06 AM
Doug

I fly with a VOR/GS and an IFR GPS, that is it (well radio and xpdr
too). The missed apporach on an ILS is defined by an altitude, NOT the
middle marker. The IFR GPS does not have the middle marker, though it
usually has the outer marker as a waypoint. Legally I do not need it,
operationally I do not need it. But I do sometimes wish I had it, as I
don't get the aural warning at the middle marker while I am looking
for the runway. The middle marker is usually near the missed, even if
it not exactly at it. Bottom line, if you are going to put in a new
audio panel, I would spring for the marker beacons, otherwise no. (It
requires an antennae also, right). This assumes you have an IFR GPS,
of course. If not IFR GPS, you better get marker, although if you are
not planning an IFR GPS, you should change to include one. All you
really need is an IFR GPS and a NAV/COM. And i prefer seperate
instruments so they don't go belly up together.

Old November 3rd 03, 05:20 PM

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:59:15 GMT, David Megginson
wrote:

(Gary Gunn) writes:

How much is a marker beacon receiver really used in IFR flying? I'm
building a new panel and need to decide if I want to include one or
not.
Appreciate your input.

In Canada, they are not used at all: the first time I heard mine go
off was when I overflew Albany NY at altitude during a flight in the
U.S. Go to www.myairplane.com and look at the approaches for airports
you might like to visit some day.

Note that you can get an audio panel with the marker beacons built in,
so it's not a big extra cost or a lot of extra panel space.

There's an experiment to stop runway incursions using the 75MHz Marker
Receivers it so could be an additional incentive.
http://www1.faa.gov/and/and500/520/programs/gm.html
http://68.164.254.131/GM.asp

Anyway the extra cost to have it built into the Audio Panel is only
about $100 + antenna.

E-mail (Remove Space after pilot): pilot