How long does it take the FAA to publish an approach?

Old July 19th 05, 01:48 PM
Beech45Whiskey

Default How long does it take the FAA to publish an approach?

Yesterday, I stopped by a small VFR airport in western NY state and struck
up a conversation with a few locals. During the interesting aviation chat
I learned that the FAA had been to their airport a year or so ago
performing a survey that would hopefully result in a GPS approach.

On average, how long does it take the FAA to publish an approach in this
case?

--
Peter

Old July 20th 05, 04:06 AM
JPH

Depends on the priority given to the procedure and whether the airport
has existing procedures. Average time from request to completion is
about 1 year, but can be much shorter or longer depending on the
priority given to the procedure.
This link explains the process and what's involved in getting a procedure;
http://avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=ifp/iap_flow

You can also look at the following website to see if your airport has
procedures in the final coordination stage (finished and waiting for
publication);
http://avn.faa.gov/acifp.asp

The following airports in NY have pending procedures that can be
reviewed at the above website; 06N, OG7, 9G6, 44N, BUF, DSV, FOK, GVQ,
JFK, MGJ, SYR. Some are Original RNAV's, others are GPS replacements,
and others are VOR's or ILS's.

If you provide the airport ID, I can check to see if anything has been
started.

JPH

Old July 20th 05, 04:12 AM
Peter R.

JPH wrote:

If you provide the airport ID, I can check to see if anything has been
started.

Thanks for the reply and the links! The airport is 4G2, which is Hamburg
Airport (Hamburg, NY).

--
Peter

Old July 20th 05, 05:55 PM
Stan Gosnell

Beech45Whiskey wrote in
:

On average, how long does it take the FAA to publish an approach in
this case?

On average, I can't say, but I know that an approach for KGLS has been
waiting for more than 5 years. The airport manager just doesn't seem to
care, so has not made it a priority.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Old July 22nd 05, 01:56 AM
Peter R.

Stan Gosnell wrote:

On average, I can't say, but I know that an approach for KGLS has been
waiting for more than 5 years. The airport manager just doesn't seem to
care, so has not made it a priority.

Interesting. The squeaky wheel gets the oil?

--
Peter

Old July 22nd 05, 03:00 AM
JPH

Stan Gosnell wrote:

On average, I can't say, but I know that an approach for KGLS has been
waiting for more than 5 years. The airport manager just doesn't seem to
care, so has not made it a priority.

Which procedure at Galveston (KGLS) has been waiting for 5 years?
Reason I ask, is that there were only 3 procedure requests in the
system, and those were published 4 months ago.

RNAV (GPS) Rwy 17, ORIG
RNAV (GPS) Rwy 13, ORIG
ILS or LOC Rwy 13, Amdt 11

The FPO entered them in the system 1/28/04, and they were published
3/17/05, which was about 14 months.
To be fair about the time frame, the FPO doesn't normally enter them in
the system until they have all the supporting documents (airport layout
plans, surveys, etc)

JPH
Old July 22nd 05, 03:18 AM
JPH

Peter R. wrote:

If you provide the airport ID, I can check to see if anything has been
started.

Thanks for the reply and the links! The airport is 4G2, which is
Hamburg Airport (Hamburg, NY).

I didn't find anything in the procedure system regarding new/proposed
procedures for this airport (K4G2). Could have something to do with the
2,465 runway length, since normally 3,200 is required (although
exceptions can be made). Best way to find out would be to contact the
FPO (Flight procedures Office) directly to ask about what needs to be
done to get the airport IFR certified and have a procedure built.

The New York Flight Procedures Office
FAA/AEA/NYC FPO
1 Aviation Plaza
Room 126
Jamaica, NY 11434
Thomas L. Lattimer
E-mail:
Office: (718) 977-6533
Fax: (718) 977-6735

Or, you could use the following link to request a procedure on-line.
http://avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=ifp/ifpform

JPH
Old July 22nd 05, 06:39 PM
Peter R.

JPH wrote:

Or, you could use the following link to request a procedure on-line.
http://avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=ifp/ifpform

JPH, thank you very much for the valuable information. I will look right
into this.

--
Peter

Old July 24th 05, 02:03 AM
Stan Gosnell

JPH wrote in news:2rYDe.26714$mC.11676
@okepread07:

Which procedure at Galveston (KGLS) has been waiting for 5 years?
Reason I ask, is that there were only 3 procedure requests in the
system, and those were published 4 months ago.

RNAV (GPS) Rwy 17, ORIG
RNAV (GPS) Rwy 13, ORIG
ILS or LOC Rwy 13, Amdt 11

GPS Rwy 31. There are lots of helicopters flying offshore out of GLS,
and we need an approach from out there, because flying all the way to
Texas City to fly an approach from the north is a waste of time, fuel,
and we often are really short on fuel anyway.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

(PIREP, long) Cherokee 180 from Bay Area to Bishop, CA Dave Jacobowitz Piloting 15 June 24th 04 12:11 AM
SWRFI Pirep.. (long) Dave S Piloting 19 May 21st 04 03:02 PM
making the transition from renter to owner part 1 (long) Journeyman Piloting 0 April 13th 04 02:40 PM
Simpy One of Many Stories of a Time Not So Long Ago Badwater Bill Home Built 40 March 16th 04 06:35 PM
Helicopter gun at LONG range Tony Williams Naval Aviation 3 August 20th 03 02:14 AM