Obtaining IFR clearances in Canada

Old June 28th 04, 11:03 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Default Obtaining IFR clearances in Canada

How do you get clearances from a non-towered field in Canada? Do they use
RCO/GCO or void-times like in the US? Are pop-up clearances used?

Old June 29th 04, 12:04 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Andrew Sarangan said:
How do you get clearances from a non-towered field in Canada? Do they use
RCO/GCO or void-times like in the US? Are pop-up clearances used?

I've done the "phone the fss, get a clearance with a void time" in
Goderich, Ontario. Everywhere else I've flown out of IFR in Canada has
given me a clearance on the ground, either from a tower or an on-the-field
FSS, so I don't know about the other questions.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
`And when you've been *plonk*ed by Simon C., you've been *plonked*
Old June 29th 04, 01:13 AM
Matt Whiting

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, Andrew Sarangan said:

How do you get clearances from a non-towered field in Canada? Do they use
RCO/GCO or void-times like in the US? Are pop-up clearances used?

I've done the "phone the fss, get a clearance with a void time" in
Goderich, Ontario. Everywhere else I've flown out of IFR in Canada has
given me a clearance on the ground, either from a tower or an on-the-field
FSS, so I don't know about the other questions.

Does Canada use a flight plan form/sequence similar to the US? Is this
an ICAO standard?

Matt

Old June 29th 04, 05:32 AM
Andrew Sarangan

I am planning a flight from Ohio to Stanhope (Haliburton) in central
Ontario, with a stop in London to clear customs. On the return leg I plan
to stop at Buttonville (Toronto) for a few days then make a scenic flight
to Toronto City Center airport before heading back home. I plan to do all
of these under IFR in a /G equipped airplane. The entire route is covered
in the US enroute charts, so I was not planning on purchasing additional
charts. I have an old copy of the CFS, and I was contemplating if I
should purchase a new one or ask someone to fax me the relevant pages.
The approach charts for Canada are a ripoff. I would have to buy the
entire country even if I only need one page.

Any words of advice you can offer regarding this flight?

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in
:

In a previous article, said:
Does Canada use a flight plan form/sequence similar to the US? Is
this an ICAO standard?

The Canadian form is quite different from the US one, but it's very
similar to the ICAO one. There is a copy of one near the beginning of
the Canada Flight Supplement (the Canadian equivalent of the
Airport/Facilities Directory) - you shouldn't be flying in Canada
without the CFS, so you should have one handy. Even if you don't, the
FSS people will happily talk you through it.

Old June 29th 04, 12:24 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Andrew Sarangan said:
The approach charts for Canada are a ripoff. I would have to buy the
entire country even if I only need one page.

Bull****. I buy the CAP-4, which are the approach charts for the province
of Ontario only.

Any words of advice you can offer regarding this flight?

Buy the charts you should have. Compared to the price of the flight
itself, the cost is trivial.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I'm cruising down the Information Superhighway in high gear, surfing the
Old June 29th 04, 02:32 PM
Andrew Sarangan

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in
:

In a previous article, Andrew Sarangan said:
The approach charts for Canada are a ripoff. I would have to buy the
entire country even if I only need one page.

Bull****. I buy the CAP-4, which are the approach charts for the
province of Ontario only.

OK, thanks. I did not know that.

Old June 30th 04, 02:07 AM
PaulaJay1

In article , Andrew Sarangan
writes:

I am planning a flight from Ohio to Stanhope (Haliburton) in central
Ontario, with a stop in London to clear customs. On the return leg I plan
to stop at Buttonville (Toronto) for a few days then make a scenic flight
to Toronto City Center airport before heading back home. I plan to do all
of these under IFR in a /G equipped airplane. The entire route is covered
in the US enroute charts, so I was not planning on purchasing additional
charts. I have an old copy of the CFS, and I was contemplating if I
should purchase a new one or ask someone to fax me the relevant pages.
The approach charts for Canada are a ripoff. I would have to buy the
entire country even if I only need one page.

Any words of advice you can offer regarding this flight?

Hi Andrew,

Going to Lochaven? I have planned that trip for a couple of years but haven't
got it to go yet. I'm interested in a trip report.
I'm no expert on Canada but I have flown up there a couple of times. They want
you to fly to the ground on an IFR plan. If it is towered the cancel is auto;
if not towered, cancel on 888 217 1241. I was not able to cancel in the air.
London Radio monitors 126.7 and is used for VFR position reporting.
London is a big airport. I would suggest a smaller one to clear customs if
that is not out of the way. I have had good luck at Pelee Island and Sarnia
when flying out of the Cleveland Ohio area.
Call 888 CANPASS (888 226 7277) at least an hour before and give time of
arrival. No need to call the particular facility like the US.
Get Canada Air Pilot - CAP 4 - for the approach plates (like our NOS plates).
AOPA has a good hand out on the "how to's" of flying to Canada.
I have found the Ca customs a lot nicer than our own so have a good time and
don't worry.

For entry into the US, haveing an Arrival Report form filled out before hand
makes for and easier entry.

Chuck
Old July 5th 04, 07:26 AM
Robert M. Gary

Matt Whiting wrote in message ...
Paul Tomblin wrote:

Does Canada use a flight plan form/sequence similar to the US? Is this
an ICAO standard?

I just did this a couple of days ago. The FSS guy stepped me through
the entire thing. I really don't know what the IFR flight plan for
was, because he just asked me the necessary questions. He did ask
about things like survival equipment and if my ELT was fixed or
portable. Other than that, it seemed pretty straight forward. I also
noticed that the actual weather briefing seemed more practical. My
flight was pretty short, but IMC. The briefer told me what was going
on and the forcast. I did seem like he was reading from a script the
way it is in the U.S. He also seemed to have a pretty clear British
accent (which I thought was a bit unusual). When I departed Vancouver
Int'l a bunch of airline guys taxied up and got their release while I
was still waiting. I'm not sure if it was related to my route or if
they get priority in Canada.
-Robert
Old July 6th 04, 07:04 PM
Defly

I fly to Canada a few times a year. Hamilton, (CYHM) is a good place to clear
customs. The CANPASS office is in Hamilton. There is customs on the field so
you don't have to wait like you do in Sarnia. Canada uses the standard ICAO
form which you can get online. The briefer will walk you through it, they're
used to US pilots not having it. I've never bought Canadian charts, only the
approach plates which you can get from Sporty's. I just use US low altitude
charts and never had a problem. People make a big deal about flying to Canada
- which it's not. I've gotten a few free breakfasts from local pilots here at
AZO while I explain the whole deal to them. Canadians are very used to US
pilots coming there and will patiently explain everything IF you don't act like
a hotshot US pilot making do with their quaint little system. You will get a
bill for ATC services during the quarter after you fly there. Can be a problem
if you're renting because the bill goes to the registered owner. Canadian
controllers don't say "radar contact" they say "radar identified" and they
don't say "one one eight point three" they say "one one eight decimal three" -
otherwise everything else is exactly the same. Helps to carry a passport. If
you land at an airport that doesn't have customs on the field you must stay at
your plane until they arrive. Call CANPASS from your cell phone when you get
on the ground (dial 1 first and then the number) and they'll tell you what to
do. I have once in a while had trouble contacting Canadian flight service for
briefings and filing, so I've called a US FSS and done it that way - the US 800
number doesn't work in Canada so have the area code and phone number of your
local FSS just in case. Have fun in Canada eh.