OSH Sleeping

Old July 14th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Default OSH Sleeping

AirVenture is littered with "WalMart" tents after a big wind and rain.
The problems are the fiberglass poles and partial rain-flys.

First of all, you will want a tent with a full rain-fly... one that goes
all the way from the top to the ground.

Second, you will want to affix additional guy-lines to stabilize the
weak poles.

As for sleeping, a good Thermarest pad, a 40-degree sleeping bag, and a
300-weight fleece blanket will keep you warm the coldest OSH nights.
Total weight will be less than 5-pounds.
Old July 14th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
m...
Of all the things you are NOT going to have to worry about, sleeping at
Oshkosh during The Show in sub-zero is very high on the list.

Yeah, I WANT to get cold at night, at OSH. That way, after averaging in the
days, I will be comfortable. ! g
--
Jim in NC

Old July 15th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"John Smith" wrote in message
AirVenture is littered with "WalMart" tents after a big wind and rain.
The problems are the fiberglass poles and partial rain-flys.

First of all, you will want a tent with a full rain-fly... one that goes
all the way from the top to the ground.

Second, you will want to affix additional guy-lines to stabilize the
weak poles.

As for sleeping, a good Thermarest pad, a 40-degree sleeping bag, and a
300-weight fleece blanket will keep you warm the coldest OSH nights.
Total weight will be less than 5-pounds.

I've learned to leave the sleeping bag at home. My sleeping gear is a
Thermarest, covered with a "sock" I custom made from an old sheet. Kelly
has the identical set-up, and we bring two top sheets and two lightweight
fleece blankets to go over us. This is a lightweight set-up and allows us
to add or subtract layers to suit the conditions. Also, it eliminates the
bother of a sleeping bag. I flip and flop several times a night, and find a
sleeping bag confining.

Old July 15th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

If you have a good quality tent, you will be neither too hot at night, nor
wet when it rains. Add a good quality air bed (the kind that put you up on
10" of air), and I will put the quality of sleep at Oshkosh up against any
night's sleep you've ever had.

I disagree with that. The best pads are about 1" deep. The higher you
sit and the more air in the pad the more heat transfer you're going to
lose. I would recommend spending the $120 at REI on a good terma-rest
pad. I've camped sub-zero many times without problems. The tent isn't
going to keep you warn because its too much mass. Keeping warm is 75%
about the pad and 25% about the bag.

Trust me -- the last thing you care about at OSH are "heat transfer"
problems. The 10" air bed is the single most important improvement in OSH
camping we've experienced.

In 25 years, I've been "cold" at OSH precisely once -- and that was during
the day. I actually bought a sweatshirt that year.

Most years, if it gets below 70 at night, count your blessings. The cool
night air feels good on the fresh sunburn...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 15th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 14, 9:10*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Most years, if it gets below 70 at night, count your blessings. *The cool
night air feels good on the fresh sunburn...

I'm more familar with camping in the Sierras where the days are 90F
and the nights are 20F. However, I do remember trying to sleep in the
dorm dripping wet (I got lucky with the dorm without A/C). I'm sure
the guys from the SE feel right at home but for those of us from the
SW this is not fun. Drying off after a shower was fruitless. Everyone
ran over to the Walmart and bought fans. Litterally hundreds of fans
were sold. We all left them in the dorm (since its not worth taking a
$20 Walmart fan home). I always wondered what they do with them all.

-Robert
Old July 15th 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Robert...

Quite frankly we don't give a hairy rat's ass about your experience about
camping in the Sierra. (Sierra IS singular, by the way, look it up). After
35 years of Oshkosh, camping, dorming, and sleeping in the airplane, in all
that time I've been cold ONCE for ONE night. Lessee now, that's 35 times
seven inverse ... less than one half of one percent.

PLEASE take your camping experience in the Sierra and stuff it. Listen to
those who have been there for a few dozen years.

And I trump your assistant scoutmaster as a merit badge consultant for 30+
years through the Sacramento Council down by Sac State.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old July 15th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote

I'm more familar with camping in the Sierras where the days are 90F
and the nights are 20F. However, I do remember trying to sleep in the
dorm dripping wet (I got lucky with the dorm without A/C). I'm sure
the guys from the SE feel right at home but for those of us from the
SW this is not fun. Drying off after a shower was fruitless. Everyone
ran over to the Walmart and bought fans. Litterally hundreds of fans
were sold. We all left them in the dorm (since its not worth taking a
$20 Walmart fan home). I always wondered what they do with them all.

********************
New post begins he

Not any 20F nights at OSH, unless you want to wait a few months! g

Jay was right. Sleeping cool on top of an air mattress is what the doctor
ordered.

As far as drying off after a shower being useless, that is why my favorite
time to get a shower at OSH is 11PM or later. The shower room is about
empty, and the water really refreshes. It is great to wash the stink off
and crawl into a nice cool bed! A well ventilated tent has to be cooler
than a hot dorm room, any day!
--
Jim in NC

Old July 15th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 14, 10:01*pm, "RST Engineering"
wrote:
Robert...

\
PLEASE take your camping experience in the Sierra and stuff it. *Listen to
those who have been there for a few dozen years.

Please quote somewhere where I said it got cold at OSH. I never
disagreed with that. Frankly I'm not sure where this pure rage is
coming from with you. Makes me think you're either reading another
post or just lost your dog.

And I trump your assistant scoutmaster as a merit badge consultant for 30+
years through the Sacramento Council down by Sac State.

Hehehe, no a merit badge counselor does not trump an ASM. How many
training courses did you go to? How many over night classes have you
gone to? Have you even been to the 2 week wood badge training? Its
like saying being a parking attendant for 30 years trumps a police
chief.

-Robert
Old July 15th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:01 pm, "RST Engineering"
wrote:
Robert...

\
PLEASE take your camping experience in the Sierra and stuff it. Listen to
those who have been there for a few dozen years.

Please quote somewhere where I said it got cold at OSH. I never
disagreed with that. Frankly I'm not sure where this pure rage is
coming from with you. Makes me think you're either reading another
post or just lost your dog.

And I trump your assistant scoutmaster as a merit badge consultant for 30+
years through the Sacramento Council down by Sac State.

Hehehe, no a merit badge counselor does not trump an ASM. How many
training courses did you go to? How many over night classes have you
gone to? Have you even been to the 2 week wood badge training? Its
like saying being a parking attendant for 30 years trumps a police
chief.

-Robert

Now, now, boys. Let's be civil here. Would real Boy Scouts act like
this? It is usually the grown-up that make the trouble....

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old July 15th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 15, 9:24*am, Ross wrote:

Now, now, boys. Let's be civil here. Would real Boy Scouts act like
this? It is usually the grown-up that make the trouble....

hehehe; good point.