Lighter than air...

Old February 24th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Lighter than air...

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a radio controlled blimp that a friend gave me while I was
recovering from surgery. It's been a blast to play with.

Filled it back up with He a couple of weeks ago and parked it on
the ceiling at home. (without the drive unit)

It has deflated slowly. At first it was slammed hard against the
ceiling, but as time passes, it settled tail down a bit, then more
until it hung vertically.

Last night it started wandering around the house all by itself.

This morning it was floating along the living room about 3 feet off
of the floor. As it came into the "computer room" where the temp is
several degrees cooler, it settled down to about 1 foot and nosed
around checking everything out.

Then it turned around and floated back into the living room - and
rose back up to near 3 feet again!

While I understand the principles involved (temperature/pressure), I've
never seen such a clear demonstration of them.

Fascinating....

In the mid 80's I worked at an Instrument Overhaul Shop. When it got slow we
always got into mischief. We used to fill a garbage bag with helium and hang
a bag of popcorn (sold during lunchtime) under it. We could add or remove
popcorn to get the bag to float at eyeball height and the draft would float
it down the corridor (about 140 feet long).

Of course helium was also used to 'answer the phone', but that's a different
story.

Old February 24th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Wallace Berry" wrote

This was posted on the soaring newsgroup a while back. It is relevant to
the lighter than air (house blimps thread).

This time the blimp did not survive the encounter, nor
almost, did I, as I had to explain to my very angry spouse
what motivated me to hide an evil lurking presence in the
closet for her to find at 7 am.

I can order replacement balloons on the internet but I
don't think I will.

Some blimps are better off dead.

Great story. I can picture the whole thing!

That person could have benefited from....
An anchor? g
--
Jim in NC
Old February 27th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

LMFAO!

LARGE EVIL MENICING HOVERING FLOATIE PRESENCE THINGIE!

Can I get that with a little bitty pipe organ and a miniture volcanic
island archepeligo home-base?

.....ties tiny opera cape onto evil kenivel action fugure's shoulders.

Harry