New Year weight loss plans ???

Old January 3rd 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Default New Year weight loss plans ???

Jim Burns wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Any idea how can I find out the location of my closest fruit
wholesaler? --
Jay Honeck

Absolutely. Check your email. If anyone else would like me to check
their area, let me know.
Jim

If you can look up 23235 I'd appreciate it...

Old January 3rd 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Yes but Ron is into running BIG TIME.

"Margy" wrote in message
Montblack wrote:
(Necessary Aviation Content: Weight)
(Necessary Aviation Content - Part Deux: Piper entrance and egress)

Anyone looking to shed 'a few' pounds this year? If you've succeeded it
in the past, want to share your story?

Montblack
If food is my cocaine, I'm the Darryl Strawberry of weight loss plans.
(Mmm... strawberries)

Weigh****chers, go to the meetings, follow the plan, eat good food, but
pay attention to what you eat. I lost 20 Ron lost 50.

Margy

Old January 3rd 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Not too many make frames in the USA any longer - there are some
"artisan shops" that turn out relatively expensive frames, often with
aesthetic touches that can't be found on most "production frames"...
but the cost of labor, and probably equally important - the cost of
meeting environmental restrictions when welding and painting - have
driven most production overseas.

Hey Mark -- does your company make a decent (and affordable) folding bike
for pilots?

It seems like all the ones I've seen are either (a) way over-priced or (b)
junk. And in at least one case, both.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 3rd 06, 10:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Trek still makes US frames as does Waterford. You can go to Waterford and
they make a frame to fit you. One of our bike club members is in line for a
titanium Waterford proto type. When you talk Waterford you are not talking
Wal-Mart as they can be up to $10,000 for each custom bike.

--
Cy Galley - Webmaster www.qcbc.org

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Darrel Toepfer wrote:
Grumman-581 wrote:

I checked out your website and saw that your frames are made in China...
was over at the bike shop a couple of weeks ago looking for a new bike
for
my daughter and noticed that *all* the bikes were either made in China
or
Taiwan... Doesn't *anyone* make a bike in the USA anymore?

One guy builds frames here in Louisiana. Its for the xtreme sports people
who do stunts and dirt racing. Used to build them here @4R7 and then
moved his operation to Baton Rouge...

There's a man near me who makes his frames in his own shop using, get
this, no power tools! He has a peddle operated grinder and other man
powered tools that he uses. Of course, many of his components are
imported as I don't think there are any US makers of brakes, derailleurs,
etc.

Check it out at: http://www.oswaldcycleworks.com/

I bought a couple of Fuji bikes there two years ago and Tom was a great
guy to deal with.

Matt

Old January 3rd 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Not too many make frames in the USA any longer - there are some
"artisan shops" that turn out relatively expensive frames, often with
aesthetic touches that can't be found on most "production frames"...
but the cost of labor, and probably equally important - the cost of
meeting environmental restrictions when welding and painting - have
driven most production overseas.

Hey Mark -- does your company make a decent (and affordable) folding bike
for pilots?

It seems like all the ones I've seen are either (a) way over-priced or (b)
junk. And in at least one case, both.

I've thought about it many times, but haven't moved forward on it
(yet). A folding titanium bike would be a very, very narrow niche
market and the set-up costs for building the frames would be pretty
high (which would of course put the bike in the "way over-priced"
category - at least from most folk's perspective.

I've thought about doing a "mini-frame version" - something that would
look a lot like a BMX bike with a really long stem and seat post,
putting the rider in a legitimate "adult position", but that would
break down to a much smaller package than a regular road bike or
mountain bike.

Mark Hickey
Old January 3rd 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Hey Mark -- does your company make a decent (and affordable) folding bike
for pilots?

I've thought about it many times, but haven't moved forward on it
(yet). A folding titanium bike would be a very, very narrow niche
market

It's not just for pilots. I've often thought that the bike manufacturers
have under-estimated the size of the folding bike market.

As with LED spotlights, battery powered air compressors, and those
"instant-jump-start" thingies, when a product becomes affordable, it
suddenly becomes a "necessity" -- and the market simply explodes.

Every one of the items I mentioned above were unaffordable -- or
unavailable -- just a few years ago. Now, they have become "standard
equipment" in each of my cars.

If marketed as a convenience, or even as a safety device ("Never get
stranded again!") I believe that an affordable folding bike could become the
next "gotta have" thing for the general population -- not just pilots.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 3rd 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Hey Mark -- does your company make a decent (and affordable) folding bike
for pilots?

I've thought about it many times, but haven't moved forward on it
(yet). A folding titanium bike would be a very, very narrow niche
market

It's not just for pilots. I've often thought that the bike manufacturers
have under-estimated the size of the folding bike market.

I'm thinking about getting the Hummer, have about 4 or 5 versions,
supposedly originally made for the military and they don't cut the frame
for the 'fold' which is a big plus. starting price around $500 which if
you've priced any quality bikes lately is not out of line. It has front
suspension and front disk brake with rear caliber brake. folds to 3x2x1
foot.
It's a mountain bike although if you like you could put street tires on it
for a more comfy ride on the roads. I want it for both aviation and also I
do course certification for Running type road races and would like
something a little more convienient than my current bike.
John

This is there lowerend street/limited off road $449
no front suspension/no disk brake
Montague CX Comfort Bike
Full-size comfort bike for cruising city streets and boardwalks with 26"
standard wheels.
Folds to 36" x 28" x 12" in under thirty seconds without the use of tools.
Compact size allows for convenient storage in a car trunk, boat, closet, or
private plane.
Limited lifetime warranty on frame.
Uses extra cushioned saddle with suspension seat post, upright, rise
handlebars with an adjustable stem, and wide semi-slick tires that offer a
smooth ride on paved roads but have a grip on light off-road terrain.
Equipped with industry standard wheels and components serviceable at any
bike shop.

There medium model $549
Montague MX Mountain Bike
Frame: All Aluminum 7005 Front & Rear Triangle
Fork: RST 281 Suspension
Color: Brushed Aluminum
Shifters: Grip Shift
Drivetrain: 24-Speed Shimano® Alivio
Brakes: Alloy V-Brakes
Tires: 1.95" Front/Rear Specific Knobby
Spokes/Rims: Stainlees Steel/Alloy
Saddle: Velo Mountain Bike
Seat Post: Ally Micro Adjust
Frame Sizes: 18", 20.0"
Folded Size: 36" x 28" x12"

http://treadmillscentral.com/images/...1100895065.jpg
Old January 3rd 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

In article l7vuf.457213$084.371904@attbi_s22,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

It's not just for pilots. I've often thought that the bike manufacturers
have under-estimated the size of the folding bike market.

As with LED spotlights, battery powered air compressors, and those
"instant-jump-start" thingies, when a product becomes affordable, it
suddenly becomes a "necessity" -- and the market simply explodes.

Every one of the items I mentioned above were unaffordable -- or
unavailable -- just a few years ago. Now, they have become "standard
equipment" in each of my cars.

If marketed as a convenience, or even as a safety device ("Never get
stranded again!") I believe that an affordable folding bike could become the
next "gotta have" thing for the general population -- not just pilots.

It's a romantic notion, but I don't think it's true. Most of us are
pretty lazy. I've got a friend who's 6' 5" of solid muscle, and he calls
AAA when he gets a flat tire. People don't want to put a bicycle
together and ride it down the freeway to get home. That's what cell
phones are for.

There was an article in a flying rag several years back (might have been
AOPA Pilot) that was about being prepared to spend a few days in the
wilderness in the event of an off-airport forced landing. It said "The
Southern California pilot's idea of an emergency kit is two dimes for a
pay phone."

Your self-reliant attitude is commendable, but, IMO, it's one that isn't
widely shared, unfortunately.

(I hope your cars are also stocked with food and water, clothing,
blankets, a tire patch kit, at least a couple of hundred dollars in
cash, a good knife, maybe a small caliber rifle, matches, a Boy Scout
Handbook, and a full tank of gas. You never know where you'll be when
the next natural or man-made disaster will come along.)

Other than the folding bike, I'm planning to start getting prepared
tomorrow, or Friday at the latest.
Old January 3rd 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Hey Mark -- does your company make a decent (and affordable) folding bike
for pilots?

Folding bike? How about a titanium 'tube and fabric' airplane project? -
after hours, of course.

With the weight saving in titanium frame construction they could now drop in
a small liquid cooled diesel... g

Montblack

Old January 3rd 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Montblack" wrote:

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Hey Mark -- does your company make a decent (and affordable) folding bike
for pilots?

Folding bike? How about a titanium 'tube and fabric' airplane project? -
after hours, of course.

I thought about that too... once. Until I started adding up the cost
of the tubes involved and then considered that most people probably
wouldn't want to spend "certified prices" for a box of parts that will
become a kit with hundreds/thousands of hours of exta labor.

I would look cool though...

With the weight saving in titanium frame construction they could now drop in
a small liquid cooled diesel... g

It probably wouldn't be any lighter than an aluminum frame, though it
would have other advantages (wouldn't need paint, would have a far
superior fatigue life, though that's not a big issue with aluminum
based on the last half-century of anecdotal evidence). And by the
time you paid for the titanium tubes, you might be back to VW power.

Mark Hickey