A Bad Day For KJFK Ground Controller

Old March 17th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_14_]

Default A Bad Day For KJFK Ground Controller

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:52:09 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Pelican223 wrote:
Here is a funny episode with a JFK ground controller and numerous
aircraft taxiing on the ground.

Coincidentally I was listening to JFK Clearance Delevery/Ground last night.
The controller was one of the rudest I have ever heard, not so much in words
although there was some of that; but by the tone of his voice.

That isn't rude, that is just a typical NYC accent! :-)

Matt

I think that the controller should be commended, he kept his cool,
didn't bite any ones head off, joked a bit, and even invited the
pilots to come into the cab and enjoy the fun. I think he did a great
job.
--

Jim in Houston
osPAm

Old March 17th 07, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 03:14:58 -0500, Jim
wrote:

I think that the controller should be commended, he kept his cool,
didn't bite any ones head off, joked a bit, and even invited the
pilots to come into the cab and enjoy the fun. I think he did a great
job.
--

I really liked the "You guys should come up here some time. You'd
enjoy the show." comment, as well as the "Aww... Jeezz.. You just

Did anyone catch the very end when somebody called him that wasn't
pushing back for an hour?

In the past there have been railroad switching puzzles published in
magazines and books. Maybe "Ground Controller" would make a fun video
game? The game would end with a runway incursion or two widebodies
stopped nose to nose on the same t-way. The computer could
occasionally toss in a guy who moves without permission!

Old March 17th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

wrote:

I think that the controller should be commended, he kept his cool,
didn't bite any ones head off, joked a bit, and even invited the
pilots to come into the cab and enjoy the fun. I think he did a great
job.
--

I really liked the "You guys should come up here some time. You'd
enjoy the show." comment, as well as the "Aww... Jeezz.. You just
can't..." G

Did anyone catch the very end when somebody called him that wasn't
pushing back for an hour?

Yes. Pilots like that should be slapped upside the head. What an idiot.

Matt
Old March 17th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

wrote:

Pelican223 wrote:
Here is a funny episode with a JFK ground controller and numerous
aircraft taxiing on the ground.

Coincidentally I was listening to JFK Clearance Delevery/Ground last night.
The controller was one of the rudest I have ever heard, not so much in words
although there was some of that; but by the tone of his voice.

That isn't rude, that is just a typical NYC accent! :-)

Matt

I think that the controller should be commended, he kept his cool,
didn't bite any ones head off, joked a bit, and even invited the
pilots to come into the cab and enjoy the fun. I think he did a great
job.

That was my reaction as well. If the poster above really felt this was
the rudest controller they have ever heard, then I can only conclude
that they have heard very few controllers. I've heard many that were a
LOT more rude than this controller and with MUCH less reason to be rude.
This guy clearly had his plate full and I thought he did an excellent job.

Matt
Old March 17th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

wrote:
Pelican223 wrote:
Coincidentally I was listening to JFK Clearance Delevery/Ground last night.
The controller was one of the rudest I have ever heard, not so much in words
although there was some of that; but by the tone of his voice.

That was my reaction as well. If the poster above really felt this was
the rudest controller they have ever heard, then I can only conclude

Read what he said again. He didn't say the controller on the recording
was the rudest he'd ever heard, he said that the one he'd heard while
listening to JFK Clearance Delivery/Ground the previous night.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"But I heard him exclaim, as he climbed in the night
Old March 18th 07, 10:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Matt Whiting wrote:
Pelican223 wrote:
Here is a funny episode with a JFK ground controller and numerous
aircraft taxiing on the ground.

Coincidentally I was listening to JFK Clearance Delevery/Ground last night.
The controller was one of the rudest I have ever heard, not so much in
words although there was some of that; but by the tone of his voice.

That was my reaction as well. If the poster above really felt this was
the rudest controller they have ever heard, then I can only conclude
that they have heard very few controllers. I've heard many that were a
LOT more rude than this controller and with MUCH less reason to be rude.
This guy clearly had his plate full and I thought he did an excellent job.

Gentlemen:

I think you misread what the original poster said. If you look at the two
consecutive paragraphs you'd see he's talking about two different guys. I think
we can all agree the first guy was funny and very much on top of his duties.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old March 16th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Here is a funny episode with a JFK ground controller and numerous
aircraft taxiing on the ground. Ground control at busy airports
like JFK is the busiest and most complex position in the tower.
There can be a hundred different taxi ways and most of them are
crossing runways or very close to it. One wrong turn by an
aircraft can lead to disaster or just a nightmare like this sound
clip: http://home.online.no/~chainly/JFKGround.mp3

My daughter is in Oklahoma at Air Traffic Control school.
No wonder she chose Enroute Control! Wow.
Old March 16th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

After listening to that, I really appreciate a good controller with a
sense of humor that can sort everything out as this guy did.
Old March 16th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Larry Dighera wrote:

I received the following from a friend:

Here is a funny episode with a JFK ground controller and numerous
aircraft taxiing on the ground. Ground control at busy airports
like JFK is the busiest and most complex position in the tower.
There can be a hundred different taxi ways and most of them are
crossing runways or very close to it. One wrong turn by an
aircraft can lead to disaster or just a nightmare like this sound
clip: http://home.online.no/~chainly/JFKGround.mp3

So you can follow the action, there is an airport diagram available
he
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0703/00610AD.PDF

I couldn't follow the action even with the diagram! I thought the guy
did a masterful job, even though someone else thought he was rude. I'll
take this guy any day.

Matt
Old March 17th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

The Little French Girl flys in and out of JFK.
Here is her response:

Yes! I had heard that one. I like the part when he says "you guys should
come up here some times!" - really don't think I could do that job!!!
It is usually not that bad though, but sometimes you hear "China Air,
why are you in the freight ramp?", or "Lan Chile, make a left turn, not
a right turn!", or the british guy from BA arguing with the controller
that we are supposed to be counterclockwise on B and clockwise on A (or
vice-versa), because it says so on the chart, and the controller
replying he doesn't care what the chart says, because he is the one
deciding who goes where. The brit come back several times with it...
clearly not from here!!
You get to hear all the accents of the world, including the very
new-york accents of the controllers, and it is fun!!