A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Which glide computers fully support FAI badge and record tasks?

Old March 3rd 16, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Which glide computers fully support FAI badge and record tasks?

When flying for a badge or record, one will be flying a closed course that involves a 1km long start/finish line. To complete the task, one must cross the finish line no lower than 1,000m below the start altitude.

As the pilot crosses the start line, the computer should calculate a finish altitude based on the actual start altitude.

The computer should also represent the start finish line as *precisely* 1km so the pilot is able to navigate to an end if there is an urgent need to turn immediately after crossing the line.

Since it's advantageous to approach the start line at maximum speed, then pull up immediately after crossing, an audio alert will help keep the pilot's head out of the cockpit. We already have FLARM and airspace voice alerts, so how about "Two seconds...Start"?

ClearNav only provides a start time, not altitude.

How about other computers?

5Z
Old March 3rd 16, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

XCSoar (http://www.xcsoar.org) is doing all you described and much, much more!

Only the 2-seconds alert function is missing...
Old March 3rd 16, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

pretty sure my Oudie does all that, except for the start countdown
Old March 3rd 16, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Thu, 03 Mar 2016 09:51:50 -0800, tom wrote:

LK8000 does all this and, like XCSoar, makes audible start/finish noises
as well as beeping as soon as you have a point inside a turnpoint barrel
or FAI sector.

Don't forget, though that the IGC logs from LK8000 or XCSoar won't be
accepted for badges: you still need to submit an IGC file from an
acceptable position recorder/logger with your claim.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |
Old March 4th 16, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 12:51:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
When flying for a badge or record, one will be flying a closed course that involves a 1km long start/finish line. To complete the task, one must cross the finish line no lower than 1,000m below the start altitude.

As the pilot crosses the start line, the computer should calculate a finish altitude based on the actual start altitude.

The computer should also represent the start finish line as *precisely* 1km so the pilot is able to navigate to an end if there is an urgent need to turn immediately after crossing the line.

Since it's advantageous to approach the start line at maximum speed, then pull up immediately after crossing, an audio alert will help keep the pilot's head out of the cockpit. We already have FLARM and airspace voice alerts, so how about "Two seconds...Start"?

5Z

There are a number of loggers that will cover "certain records" that will be accepted (based on declaration).
It appears that you want a device that, "Is accepted as well as add's other info in realtime (exact start/finish lines & altitudes)".
Is this correct?

I believe all approved loggers will cover the pertinent data (log it for future review, 3D with lat/long/alt & time stamps), but may not show it as you are flying.
Old March 4th 16, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 9:51:52 AM UTC-8, wrote:

5Z

I just posted my comments on ClearNav forum.
For last 15 years I'm hooked with WinPilot.
Works close to perfect, depends on hardware and user.
Jerry Plaszowiecki is very supportive when not on vacation.
I fly only according FAI rules.
In December I bought CN II and I'm returning, just for the reason
given by Tom and great ignorance from ClearNav team.
WP gives you everything what you need.
Thanks I did not sell CAI302 and PNA.
Marek (JT)