A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hero emulation

Old February 24th 18, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

Default Hero emulation

"When you pull out the rule book you've already lost."

Sorry Greg - When you pull out the rule book, you are a disciplined pilot. They aren't suggestions, they are rules of flight.

Lou

Old February 24th 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default Hero emulation

I am a multi-engine instrument rated pilot and the only time I have done misses is during a missed instrument approach.

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 12:52:46 AM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 8:08:29 AM UTC+3, Tom wrote:
Oh, I forgot - there is a good argument that a low pass is not legal. That whole minimum altitude over "a congested area but “not for the purpose of takeoff or landing.” Take a look at 91.119, make your call eyes wide open. Sorry to take all the fun out of it. I know - there's many rationalizations, justifications and arguments. Not trying to pick a fight - just pointing out some issues with the practice of this maneuver.

Power pilots deliberately practice "missed approach" with no intention of landing on the first pass all the time.

Old February 24th 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

Default Hero emulation

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 7:15:44 AM UTC-6, MNLou wrote:

Sorry Greg - When you pull out the rule book, you are a disciplined pilot. They aren't suggestions, they are rules of flight.

Lou

And . . . there are Rules and Laws.

You can find loopholes in the Rules and survive but never break the Laws of physics, gravity, aerodynamics. Per my mentor: Fritz Compton, circa 1967.
Old February 24th 18, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]
external usenet poster

Default Hero emulation

I'm sorry Greg, what have I "lost"? I made a number of points including the regulations and as a former accident investigator plus being a professional pilot for a long time it concerns me that your rebuttal was focused only on the regulation point. If I lose someone because I pointed out regulations then I shouldn't even bring it up?

I hate internet arguments and really try to meter my responses. I get a lot out of this forum and as one of my students read it and asked me offline about this thread I thought I'd weigh in. But, as I said, I'm not going to be able to change someone's mind that has justified and rationalized their decision. I simply hope someone who is on the fence or needs a little reinforcement or nudge to fly within their limitations thoughtfully takes in all the input and decides and acts eyes wide open.

Points to ponder:

In making a concerted decision - the rules do play a valid role. Will I be violated, will I be held criminally or civilly liable? What is my responsibility? Picture yourself on the stand being cross examined by a pit bull attorney in front of a jury of aviation ignorant "peers" - your "Few Good Men" Jack Nicholson moment.

As an instructor and or mentor, is it "do as I say and not do what I do?"

Did just I do something that has huge impacts and consequences for others?

Once the slippery slope of risk/reward decision making is headed downhill and positive reinforcement is helping in gradually letting one's standards slip - where is the tipping point?

What is my prevalent hazardous attitude and how does it effect my decision making process?

Hey - I have lot fun flying. I've had to manage a lot of risk/reward from many different perspectives and professions - I've seen some awful consequences when people have not done their due diligence or didn't know what they didn't know. I wanted to contribute in a thoughtful way about what we do, how we decide and how we manage risk. Not everyone thinks about these things - the human factors that play such an important role.

Have fun and be safe,

Tom
Old February 24th 18, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Hero emulation

I used to do it.* Started at, say, 500' AGL and worked my way down on
successive flights.* It was a hoot!* I'm older now and want to get older
still, so I don't do it any more.* I'm still not willing to tell someone
else not to have a good time.* As Dirty Harry used to say, "A man's got
to know his limitations."

On 2/23/2018 9:12 PM, Tom wrote:
Fun - probably. Useful - no. Good for the sport - questionable. Good role model - ehhh. Judgement and risk management - not so great. Having to deal with the aftermath and bad publicity as the local airport and member of the community- not great and as as it's happened before, visiting glider pilot does something profanely stupid and the local folks clean up the mess.

I think I'll "pass".

Tom

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 24th 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Hero emulation

On 2/24/2018 7:42 AM, Tom wrote:
I wanted to contribute in a thoughtful way about what we do, how we decide and how we manage risk. Not everyone thinks about these things - the human factors that play such an important role.

Sir, you have succeeded!
--
Dan, 5J
Old February 24th 18, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Hero emulation

On 2/24/2018 8:32 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:

On 2/24/2018 7:42 AM, Tom wrote:
I wanted to contribute in a thoughtful way about what we do, how we
decide and how we manage risk. Not everyone thinks about these things -
the human factors that play such an important role.

Sir, you have succeeded!

+1

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Old February 24th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

Default Hero emulation

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 4:42:09 PM UTC+3, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I am a multi-engine instrument rated pilot and the only time I have done misses is during a missed instrument approach.

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 12:52:46 AM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 8:08:29 AM UTC+3, Tom wrote:
Oh, I forgot - there is a good argument that a low pass is not legal. That whole minimum altitude over "a congested area but “not for the purpose of takeoff or landing.” Take a look at 91.119, make your call eyes wide open. Sorry to take all the fun out of it. I know - there's many rationalizations, justifications and arguments. Not trying to pick a fight - just pointing out some issues with the practice of this maneuver.

Power pilots deliberately practice "missed approach" with no intention of landing on the first pass all the time.

How many touch-and-goes?

I don't see much difference between them in terms of an intention to land.
Old February 24th 18, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Hero emulation

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 8:15:44 AM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:

Sorry Greg - When you pull out the rule book, you are a disciplined pilot.. They aren't suggestions, they are rules of flight.

Lou

Well then let's go Jihad with 91.119. The low pass is as old as the modern sailplane and is universal throughout the soaring world. Low passes are a normal approach technique for gliders, thus legal.
Now all ye disciplined safe pilots who follow the rules of flight because it is the law, and the safe thing to do. 91.119 says (b)Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c)Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
If you look at enforcement cases the FAA has a very broad definition of 'congested area' and a limited one of 'sparsely populated.' Of course straight up not non subjective we have 500' from a 'person, vehicle or structure.' That's 500' from a hiker on a ridge. Or a ridgetop house. Two houses and you better be 1,000' over.
Farewell and adieu ridge soaring and picking thermals off slopes.
Those are the rules, and if we are to be good and safe pilots we must follow the rules, all of them, all of the time.

Old February 24th 18, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Hero emulation

Getting back to the topic of talented by inexperienced pilots teaching themselves to do low passes...

Here's a Soaring RX column about how human factors affects low passes http://www.danlj.org/~danlj/Soaring/...8-19-20-21.pdf

Dr. Dan walks us through a pilot completing his first low pass and explains some of the human factors as they come to fore. Spoiler Alert. Like most first low passes, nobody dies.