tail rotor rotation direction

Old October 9th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default tail rotor rotation direction

Just attended a fly-in at Westport OK. There were some 27 helicopters
there. Attending were Rotorways, a Brantly, some R-22s, a R-44,
Schweitzers, a Hiller and a Safari. Only one of these ships had the tail
rotor turning in the "right" direction. It as the Safari. It seems that
Bell, Lockheed and Westland to name a few have discovered that the "proper"
direction of rotation for the tail rotor is to have the blade that is moving
to the rear to be on top. The change from the "Old" direction to the new
"proper" direction has eliminated some tail rotor control issues in more
than one helicopter. Ray Prouty and Shawn Coyle both mention this issue in
their excellent books published by Helobooks.

--
Kathryn Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

Old October 9th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
JohnO

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Why does it matter which way it rotates? Which way do the
eurocopters go?

Old October 10th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Oops. I inadvertently included the R-44 as a ship whose tail rotor turned
the wrong direction. This is not true. I have been informed that the R-44
has some additional gearing to obtain the proper rotation.
It seems that lateral travel in the helicopters with the "Wrong" rotation
direction has required pedal travel exceeding that which was available.
When the direction was changed the problem went away. Prouty also says that
it is not clear just why this phenomena occurs, but the "Big Boys" have
pretty much agreed.
--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine
P. O. Box 1585
Inyokern, CA 93527
(760) 377-4478 ph
(760) 408-9747 publication cell
oups.com...

Old October 11th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Hell Kevin you have to have some patience with us Senior Aviators (sounds
better than old farts). I had looked at the R-44 tail rotor from a distance
and "Assumed" that it was the same as the R-22. Between eyesight and knee
jerk judgement I boo booed. Thankfully I caught it before it hit the
magazine.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine
P. O. Box 1585
Inyokern, CA 93527
(760) 377-4478
(760) 408-9747 general and layout cell
(760) 608-1299 technical and advertising cell

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:31:20 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

Oops. I inadvertently included the R-44 as a ship whose tail rotor

turned
the wrong direction. This is not true. I have been informed that the

R-44
has some additional gearing to obtain the proper rotation.

I was about to jump on you for the R44 "error".. Stuart would have
had to fly down here, beat me up and then fly back.

Old October 12th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Yeah Kev: It turns out that you can own an experimental where the certified
birds are only on some weird lease from the factory and FAA.
BTW 42 is a very very junior old fart. My clock just ticked over 70. I've
got the elder part down pat and am looking to find the statesman part.
Having a bunch of fun with the magazine. Try our website, it has a
prototype issue and some of the features of the mag.
--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine
P. O. Box 1585
Inyokern, CA 93527
(760) 377-4478
(760) 408-9747 general and layout cell
(760) 608-1299 technical and advertising cell

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 19:19:21 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

Hell Kevin you have to have some patience with us Senior Aviators (sounds
better than old farts).

Hey, I think at 42 I qualify for "old fart" status too.

I had looked at the R-44 tail rotor from a distance
and "Assumed" that it was the same as the R-22. Between eyesight and

knee
jerk judgement I boo booed. Thankfully I caught it before it hit the
magazine.

One of these days I gotta check out your mag.. Hell, one of these
days I gotta build a friggin' helo..

Old October 12th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Dikkie Dik

Before LTE (Loss of Tail rotor Effectiveness) was discovered,
manufacturers had the tail rotor run in the other direction, to prevent
the tail rotor swinging dirt towards the helicopter when it was too
close to the ground.

Best regards

Old October 12th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
B4RT

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message
Tell that to my grey chest hairs..

Hey ! TMI Kevin!

Bart

Old October 13th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Andrew Crane

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:38:32 -0400, "B4RT"
wrote:

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message
Tell that to my grey chest hairs..

Hey ! TMI Kevin!

Bart

I could have mentioned the fuzzy stuff 2 feet "south".

Is _that_ grey too?

Old October 15th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
JohnO

wrote:

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message
Tell that to my grey chest hairs..

Hey ! TMI Kevin!

Bart

I could have mentioned the fuzzy stuff 2 feet "south".

You have fuzzy feet? Are you a Hobbit, Kevin?