Sparrowhawk/Apis for rent

Old March 9th 04, 11:38 PM
Mark James Boyd

I noticed on my Avemco insurance that "closed course racing"
is not covered by my policy.

I also seem to recall experimental aircraft that I "borrow"
are excluded from the "non-owned coverage"
I'm normally extended by the policy.

Does anyone have any comments about whether regional competitions
are excepted by their coverage?

How about borrowed experimentals? This one isn't terribly
restrictive since it's usually easy enough to just get
added by name onto the borrowed aircraft insurance. Sometimes
for free, sometimes for 10% additional premium or so,
in my past experience...

--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old March 10th 04, 12:10 AM
Bob Kuykendall

At 23:42 09 March 2004, Mark James Boyd wrote:

I noticed on my Avemco insurance that 'closed course
racing'
is not covered by my policy.

I suppose it depends on how they define 'closed course.'
For stuff I've been involved in, that's where the competitive
arena is off-limits to non-competitors. Since soaring
contests are conducted in open, public-access airspace,
I'd hope its excluded.

I also seem to recall experimental aircraft that I

'borrow' are excluded from the 'non-owned
coverage' I'm normally extended by the policy.

That's one of the reasons I don't find those renter
policy thingies to be too terribly useful.

Bob K.

Old March 10th 04, 03:57 AM
Tom Seim

Ask Avemco for a definition of a "closed course". It probably doesn't
apply to glider contests.

BTW: Avemco's interpretation is the only one that matters, including
mine.

Tom
Old March 10th 04, 05:57 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Tom Seim wrote:
Ask Avemco for a definition of a "closed course". It probably doesn't
apply to glider contests.

BTW: Avemco's interpretation is the only one that matters, including
mine.

Tom

Well, if they say a soaring competition is an excluded event,
then I would definitely switch companies before participating.

So the opinions and exclusions of other insurers are important here
too. Have any of you old guys (how about that guy who's "66")
inquired about this for Avemco or other insurers?

--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old March 11th 04, 05:55 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Kirk Stant wrote:
(Mark James Boyd) wrote in message news:404eae3c$1@darkstar...

So the opinions and exclusions of other insurers are important here
too. Have any of you old guys (how about that guy who's "66")
inquired about this for Avemco or other insurers?

Mark,

I've never heard of any exclusion for glider racing, as normally
practiced. We just had Pat Costello give us an excellent talk about
the aviation insurance business at our monthly ASA meeting, and the
subject didn't come up - and I'm sure Pat was aware that half of the
pilots in the audience were regular racers. And since most gliders
(or at least a large number) are licenced "EXPERIMENTAL - RACING" I'm
sure the subject would have come up if it was an issue.

Just don't plan on taking your Lingus to Reno!

Interesting question, though. I just went back through my policy, and
while it does contain a reference to "Closed Course Racing" in the
Exclusions, it also has a coverage amendment that specifically states
that "The definition of non-commercial use includes participation in
soaring competition or meets." So at least Costello (and AIG, the
underwriter) understands glider insurance needs (which makes sense,
since it's the SSA group insurance plan).

Cheers,

Kirk
66

Thanks Kirk! What a fantastic response. Appreciate the extra effort
on your part!

--

Mark Boyd