Hanoi Jane

Old February 17th 04, 01:38 PM
Bob's Your Uncle

Default Hanoi Jane

REMEMBER JANE

KEEP THIS MOVING; ACROSS AMERICA HONORING A TRAITOR This is for all the kids
born in the 70's that do not remember this, and didn't have to bear the
burden, that our fathers, mothers, and older brothers and sisters had to
bear. Jane Fonda is being honored as one of the "100 Women of the Century."
Unfortunately, many have forgotten and still countless others have never
known how Ms. Fonda betrayed not only the idea of our country but specific
men who served and sacrificed during Vietnam.

The first part of this is from an F-4E pilot. The pilot's name is Jerry
Driscoll, a River Rat. In 1968, the former Commandant of the USAF Survival
School was a POW in Ho Lo Prison-the "Hanoi Hilton." Dragged from a stinking
cesspit of a cell, cleaned, fed, and dressed in clean PJ's, he was ordered
to describe for a visiting American "Peace Activist" the "lenient and humane
treatment" he'd received. He spat at Ms. Fonda, was clubbed, and dragged
away.

During the subsequent beating, he fell forward upon the camp Commandant's
feet, which sent that officer berserk. In '78, the AF Col. still suffered
from double vision (which permanently ended his flying days) from the
Vietnamese Col.'s frenzied application of a wooden baton. From 1963-65, Col.
Larry Carrigan was in the 47FW/DO (F-4E's). He spent 6 years in the
"Hilton"- the first three of which he was "missing in action". His wife
lived on faith that he was still alive. His group, too, got the cleaned,
fed, clothed routine in preparation for a "peace delegation" visit.

They, however, had time and devised a plan to get word to the world that
they still survived. Each man secreted a tiny piece of paper, with his SSN
on it, in the palm of his hand. When paraded before Ms. Fonda and a
cameraman, she walked the line, shaking each man's hand and asking little
encouraging snippets like: "Aren't you sorry you bombed babies?" and "Are
you grateful for the humane treatment from your benevolent captors?"
Believing this HAD to be an act, they each palmed her their sliver of paper.

She took them all without missing a beat. At the end of the line and once
the camera stopped rolling, to the shocked disbelief of the POWs, she turned
to the officer in charge and handed him the little pile of papers. Three men
died from the subsequent beatings. Col. Carrigan was almost number four but
he survived, which is the only reason we know about her actions that day.

I was a civilian economic development advisor in Vietnam, and was captured
by the North Vietnamese communists in South Vietnam in 1968, and held for
over 5 years. I spent 27 months in solitary confinement, one year in a cage
in Cambodia, and one year in a "black box" in Hanoi. My North Vietnamese
captors deliberately poisoned and murdered a female missionary, a nurse in a
leprosarium in Ban me Thuot, South Vietnam, whom I buried in the jungle near
the Cambodian border.

At one time, I was weighing approximately 90 lbs. (My normal weight is 170
lbs.) We were Jane Fonda's "war criminals."

When Jane Fonda was in Hanoi, I was asked by the camp communist political
officer if I would be willing to meet with Jane Fonda. I said yes, for I
would like to tell her about the real treatment we POWs received different
from the treatment purported by the North Vietnamese, and parroted by Jane
Fonda, as "humane and lenient." Because of this, I spent three days on a
rocky floor on my knees with outstretched arms with a large amount of steel
placed on my hands, and beaten with a bamboo cane till my arms dipped.

I had the opportunity to meet with Jane Fonda for a couple of hours after I
was released. I asked her if she would be willing to debate me on TV. She
did not answer me.

This does not exemplify someone who should be honored as part of "100 Years
of Great Women." Lest we forget..."100 years of great women" should never
include a traitor whose hands are covered with the blood of so many
patriots. There are few things I have strong visceral reactions to, but
Hanoi Jane's participation in blatant treason, is one of them.

Please take the time to forward to as many people as you possibly can. It
will eventually end up on her computer and she needs to know that we will
never forget.

Old February 18th 04, 05:27 PM
John C. Baker

While Fonda did indeed "show aid and comfort to the enemy," many of the
stories related in the post (and ongoing e-mail) are just plain made up.

________
From http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.htm:

The most serious accusations in the piece quoted above -- that Fonda
turned over slips of paper furtively given her by American POWS to the
North Vietnamese and that several POWs were beaten to death as a result
-- are proveably untrue. Those named in the inflammatory e-mail
categorically deny the events they supposedly were part of.

"It's a figment of somebody's imagination," says Ret. Col. Larry
Carrigan, one of the servicemen mentioned in the 'slips of paper'
incident. Carrigan was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967 and did
spend time in a POW camp. He has no idea why the story was attributed to
him. "I never met Jane Fonda."

The tale about a defiant serviceman who spit at Jane Fonda and is
severely beaten as a result is often attributed to Air Force pilot Jerry
Driscoll. He has repeatedly stated on the record that it did not
originate with him.

The story about a POW forced to kneel on rocky ground while holding a
piece of steel rebar in his outstretched arms is true, though. That
account comes from Michael Benge, a civilian advisor captured by the
Viet Cong in 1968 and held as a POW for 5 years. His original statement,
titled "Shame on Jane," was published in April by the Advocacy and
Intelligence Network for POWs and MIAs.

The unknown author of the "Hanoi Jane" e-mail appears to have picked up
Benge's story on-line and combined it with fabricated tales to create
the forwarded text. Some versions now circulate with Benge's name
listed; others quote his statement anonymously.
Old February 20th 04, 04:46 AM
Rick Folkers

Read this: http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.htm

It is Snopes debunking many parts of the Fonda legend to include
specifically the story you published.

Jane performed badly enough without lies. Lies from veterans only make vets
look bad. This vet
wishes all would check sources before passing on rubbish.

REMEMBER JANE