On pre-flight inspections

Old July 28th 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

Default On pre-flight inspections

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:50:11 GMT, Stealth Pilot wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:14:03 -0400, Franklin "Franklin
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:30:57 -0500, Maxwell wrote:

Badly frayed cable on the horizontal stabilizer. AI caught it while fueling
the aircraft. Showed it to the pilot who decided it would make back home,
about 30 miles. AI actually begged his pax to stay behind. At about 200' on
take off the cable failed. Aircraft did a complete loop impacting the ground
at about a 60 degree angle. Nothing left of the aircraft more than knee
high. Engine buried about 2'. Pilot died instantly, but the pax with all
broken bones, struggled for help for almost 5 minutes before expiring.

The guilt you should feel for not stopping both of them. What a cad you
are.

Franklin

franklin you should be ashamed of yourself.
you have no details of the incident other than what maxwell posted so
you are not in a position to judge him.
you have no idea what condition the cable actually was.
if the aircraft was refuelling it made the last flight ok and there is
nothing to say that the pilot may have been correct.

in this world you are free to make your own choices ...and wear the
consequences.
when was the last time you flew an aircraft?

tragic as it was maxwell isnt to blame.

Stealth pilot

Stealth pilot,

Maxwell's self-admitted failures are easy to read. See, he is not
complaining about my pointing out his failures.

Why do you?

Franklin
Old July 28th 09, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Franklin " "Franklin wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:09:30 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
Franklin "Franklin wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:25:04 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
"Peter Dohm" wrote:

"vaughn" wrote in message

"a" wrote in message

I did watch a PA28 do turns around a tiedown once because the PIC
didn't untie the left wing before trying to taxi out.

I once watched a rental 172 return from an apparently uneventful
flight
with the rudder lock still attached to the rudder. Take-home lesson:
Some
folks fly flat-footed.

Also, at least twice I have ran down and stopped planes on the
taxiway
with flags flying from left-on pitot covers. Take-home lesson: One
good
reason to put flags on them is so someone else can save your bacon
after
you do a crappy preflight.

Vaughn

I nearly started an engine with a propeller lock still in place--and
was
fortunate enough to have someone wave my down in time. Due to lucky
timing
and the good samaritan, there was no damage.

Heh, funny you should mention that. I once forgot to remove an orange
cone that the FBO had "helpfully" placed in front of the prop. It's
amazing what a propeller -- even one not moving at full speed -- can do
to an orange cone. That one set me back quite a bit as well.

rg

Are cones expensive or are your poor?

Franklin

Cones are cheap, but engine rebuilds after a prop strike aren't. (I
was, of course, referring not to money, but to the time it took to
consult with a mechanic to convince myself that a rebuild would not be
necessary.)

rg

Please be more clear for the beginners next time.

Franklin

It was sufficiently clear to the rest.

Old July 29th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Ron Garret wrote:
In article
,
D Ramapriya wrote:

On Jul 27, 3:21 pm, Stealth Pilot
wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but engine runups are part of the mechanics'
pre-handover (of the aircraft) routine, right? /snip/

I guess I got my wires crossed in a way, as a pilot friend kindly
pointed out to me in private

I was thinking of the everyday scene that I see en route home, in the
Emirates hangars

Don't feel too bad. It reminded me of commuting in a C150 from Dallas to
Tulsa International weekly, for a year - this was years ago.
When it was time to leave from the ExecAir FBO at Tulsa Intl(where
they treated me EXACTLY like the million dollar jet pilots they also
handled)
the line help asked me more than once if they could run up, and taxi my
C150 into front center for me - as though it was an honor.

They CERTAINLY knew how to treat a customer!

Brian W
Old July 29th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

jan olieslagers wrote:

-) two springs missing that should have held exhaust pipes together.
instructor judged we could fly, though
-) fatigue cracks in a bracket that hold the oil cooler.
instructor judged we could fly, though
-) oil cooler still partially covered for the winter cold on a sunny day
in May. instructor judged we could fly, though

So no, I never was significantly delayed in my 40 or so hours of
tuition, but problems do show up.
KA

The press-on instructor approach you mentioned reminded me of student
touch and goes long ago.
After landing, I tried to switch the flaps to up - but they wouldn't
move. I was about to pull the throttle - but the CHIEF instructor said,
let's press on. He tried the fuse - no go - and up we went - at about
150 FPM....

Brian W
Old July 29th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Gezellig wrote:

How bad does a wood prop have to be to cancel a flight? I was going to
take a flight in a DA20 which has a twin blade Sensenich W69EK7-63 wood
propeller. On pre-flight, the prop was chipped in several places, no
runs but then its painted or enameled white....

Oh boy, this thread is bringing the memories back - of a low level local
VFR joy ride in the passenger seat - and we heard a pan call on the
local frequency citing engine problems - then straight ahead, and
descending quite fast was a 4 seater - with just HALF a prop slowly
rotating - and down it went - under a power pylon at the edge of a field
- which had us on the edge of our seats - but it rolled to a halt, and
we saw two adults and two kids pile out. We called the home tower with
location and loitered til a police car or ambulance arrived.

It turned out a wood prop had been overtightened by a prestige big name
FBO at Coventry - and the facility lost their prop authorization on the
basis of that screw up.....

Brian W
Old July 29th 09, 07:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim[_8_]

"Franklin " "Franklin wrote in message

Stealth pilot,

Maxwell's self-admitted failures are easy to read. See, he is not
complaining about my pointing out his failures.

Why do you?

Franklin

No, I didn't feel the need to comment because you're obviously a dumb ass.

Old July 29th 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

"Peter Dohm" wrote:

"vaughn" wrote in message

"a" wrote in message

[...]

Which has nothing to do with my remark. Troll on.

Franklin
Old July 29th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 01:13:50 -0500, Tim wrote:

"Franklin " "Franklin wrote in message

Stealth pilot,

Maxwell's self-admitted failures are easy to read. See, he is not
complaining about my pointing out his failures.

Why do you?

Franklin

No, I didn't feel the need to comment because you're obviously a dumb ass.

Maxwell or Tim or Stealth Pilot

I am having trouble keeping up with your multitude of sock puppets.

Could you settle on one and stfu?

Franklin
Old July 29th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:20:18 -0500, Ross wrote:

D Ramapriya wrote:
Has any of you has ever discovered something during the pre-flight
inspection that necessitated a significant deferrment of your flight
plan or a cancelation altogether? Just curious, that's all.

Thanks,

Ramapriya

Yes.

Ross

Excellent post. I see you have figured out that D. Rampawhatever is a
troll. Good catch.

Franklin
Old July 30th 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Default Anonymous Posts/Sneers from Miss "Franklin".

Franklin wrote:

xxxxx's self-admitted failures are easy to read. See, he is not
complaining about my pointing out his failures.

Why do you?

Franklin

Dear Anonymous poster signing as "Franklin": DO be a good girl and run
home, won't you? This is where the big boys write.....

Brian W

annual inspections [email protected] Soaring 1 October 20th 07 01:08 AM
100 Hour Inspections Judah Piloting 26 December 1st 06 02:30 PM
Homebuilt Inspections john smith Home Built 8 December 25th 04 02:20 PM
Time Measurement for Inspections O. Sami Saydjari Owning 15 April 7th 04 05:26 AM
Pre-buy inspections Paul Folbrecht Owning 12 March 1st 04 12:27 AM