Mosquito rotorcraft

Old February 8th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Mosquito rotorcraft

"jesse" wrote in message Anyone have any personal
experience with them. the same q was asked in r.a.r, but i thought
since it IS a kit, and this is r.a.h that more people might have one in
this group. might be fun after i get my rotor add on to build one,
maybe not to the ultralight specs, looks like the se has more fuel and
range, therefore is experimental. anyhoo, thx for listening.

I saw one flying at OshKosh 2004. It appeared underpowered. It would hover,
but it was screaming in protest. A pedal turn would cause it to decend.
Maybe another 25 horsepower or so?

D.

Old February 8th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I got an opportunity to fly one of the little beasties and was shocked. I
expected a real squirrel. In 15 sec after starting to nurse the collective
up, I was hovering. It felt so stable that I hover taxied it about the
field, set it down, picked it up and after a few laps about the field,
brought it back and did a slope landing. I am not a high time helo pilot.
The directional control seemed quite good, the collective pressure didn't
seem to vary with pitch or rpm and in general the little bugger seemed quite
nice. The owner flew the thing about the field at several hundred feet
above the ground, brought it in for a very nice controlled approach and
landing. I found out that he had never had any helicopter dual and had a
total of 15hr. All of the people that I have talked to that have flown the
Mosquito and the Robinson R-22 have said that the Mosquito is easier to fly.
To say I'm impressed with the little beastie is an understatement. After
racing two stroke motorcycles, I'm nervous about flying a helo with a two
stroke, but John Uptigrove is a good engineer and he seems to be coming up
with a great design. I keep thinking that even with my Baby Belle, I
wouldn't mind having a Mosquito to play with. I've asked John if he would
give the magazine one for long term evaluation. He has not jumped at the
opportunity though.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

Old February 8th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Thank-you everyone for your very helpful replies. Exactly what I was
looking for.
Jesse M.

Old February 8th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Old February 9th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Im not sure why that posted twice, I blame Google! yeah thats it!
Jesse

Old February 9th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Gig:
I haven't tried the Helicycle yet. Thru the magazine, I've offered to do a
long term evaluation on the Helicycle also. Blake Estes, at the Helicycle
factory, says he doesn't even have one yet so we are not on the top of his
list. There is a price difference in the order of $10,000 that some find
significant between the Helicycle and the Mosquito. There is a difference
in engines that some two stroke phobes would find objectionable in
comparison with the Helicycle. I guess I would like to have both. If I had
the money, I might pick the Helicycle over the Mosquito for the turbine
power. I do know that one of the Helicycle drivers has had his ship to
11,500 and it was still climbing. I doubt that the Mosquito could compete
there. There is one big and one smaller difference though. Big difference:
If I lose my medical, I will have a Mosquito. The Helicycle can't qualify
as an Ultralite. Small difference: The Mosquito doesn't have N number
registration and so is immune to personal property tax. B.J Schramm had a
lot more helicopter experience than John Uptigrove but what specific effect
that had on the two designs I'm not sure.