Going to New York City

Old April 24th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Going to New York City

I will be flying to NYC in May and am looking for recommendations on
local airports to hit. Will be coming from the west (Wisconsin) in a
Cirrus and can go IFR or VFR. My wife & I will be on vacation staying
in the city so the convenience of commute is not terribly important -
an hour each way would be fine.

The information on this topic in the archives is rather dated so I
thought I'd start a new thread. Thanks for any tips.

Paul
Old April 25th 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

White Plains (KHPN). Panorama waived the ramp fee with fuel (last fall).
Free shuttle back and forth to the train station. Something like $6/person
one way into Penn Station. Less than an hour train ride.

--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old April 26th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alan Gerber

Travis Marlatte wrote:
White Plains (KHPN). Panorama waived the ramp fee with fuel (last fall).
Free shuttle back and forth to the train station. Something like $6/person
one way into Penn Station. Less than an hour train ride.

Actually, the train goes to Grand Central Station, not Penn Station.

.... Alan
--
Alan Gerber
PP-ASEL
Old April 26th 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 02:24:42 +0000 (UTC), Alan Gerber
wrote:

Travis Marlatte wrote:
White Plains (KHPN). Panorama waived the ramp fee with fuel (last fall).
Free shuttle back and forth to the train station. Something like $6/person
one way into Penn Station. Less than an hour train ride.

Actually, the train goes to Grand Central Station, not Penn Station.

Wouldn't it depend on the train?

I can go to either station from the New Haven line, depending on which
company owns the train. I think both Amtrak and Metro-North also run
the Hudson line. However, Amtrak won't be $6. G

Old April 27th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

paul.folbrecht opined

I will be flying to NYC in May and am looking for recommendations on
local airports to hit. Will be coming from the west (Wisconsin) in a
Cirrus and can go IFR or VFR. My wife & I will be on vacation staying
in the city so the convenience of commute is not terribly important -
an hour each way would be fine.

The information on this topic in the archives is rather dated so I
thought I'd start a new thread. Thanks for any tips.

Does anyone have any comments on Republic airport in Farmingdale? I have to be
in the area in the next few days and it looks like the best choice for location.

-ash
Cthulhu in 2008!
Vote the greater evil.

Old April 27th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

"Ash Wyllie" wrote ...
Does anyone have any comments on Republic airport in Farmingdale?
I have to be in the area in the next few days and it looks like the best
choice for location.

Flying in from the West I usually direct Manhattan bound visitors into KCDW,
Caldwell, NJ. MacDan's gave good service with reasonable rates (I haven't
been there in a few years).

If your business is Brooklyn, Queens or Long Island, then KFRG or KISP is
very GA prop tolerant. Both offer excellent concierge, rental cars or a
quick taxi to the local train station (LIRR) for service into the city.

FRG has two FBOs which both cater to the BizJet crowd (probably turning
around 3 to 6 bizjets an hour each). You'll get good service at either and
pay for it, this is Long Island afterall. Definitely call ahead to both FBOs
for rates, you'll be charged for landing (passed on to NYS-DOT), ramp
handling, parking (ask about day hourly and overnight rates), fuel cost and
minimums. That will prevent any sticker shock when you hand over your credit
card. The eye-candy is excellent at either place, and the bathrooms are
clean and well stocked (should you want to freshen up before schmoozing the
eye-candy).

Of the two I prefer SheltAir on the East side (unless you need maint) as
they are a supporter of AirNav. They also handle more props and don't seem
to move your plane as often once parked.
The other FBO is Atlantic on the Southeast corner of the field. It's equally
well staffed, and is a 24/7 operation should you need that.
(sidenote: The Atlantic FBO chain has a long standing legal dispute with
AirNav about publishing fuel prices. Seems AirNav lets customers update fuel
prices and Atlantic doesn't want prices shown. So therefore Atlantic doesn't
show up on AirNav.)

If you don't mind being a bit further out on the Island, consider flying
into KISP. They have two FBOs also, but there NY Jet (aka Mid Island Air
Service) is very prop friendly. They also charge for everything so it isn't
cheaper, but it just feels friendlier. Don't let the ISP Class C bother you,
it's actually much less hectic than FRG's Class D.

Old April 27th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article 9i0Rj.251$Yo2.211@trndny01,
"Mike Isaksen" wrote:

The Atlantic FBO chain has a long standing legal dispute with
AirNav about publishing fuel prices. Seems AirNav lets customers update fuel
prices and Atlantic doesn't want prices shown. So therefore Atlantic doesn't
show up on AirNav.)

DO they really have a legal leg to stand on with this? Do I not have a
right to tell people how much I paid for gas someplace?
Old April 27th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

"Roy Smith" wrote ...

"Mike Isaksen" wrote:

The Atlantic FBO chain has a long standing legal dispute with
AirNav about publishing fuel prices. Seems AirNav lets customers update
fuel
prices and Atlantic doesn't want prices shown. So therefore Atlantic
doesn't
show up on AirNav.)

DO they really have a legal leg to stand on with this? Do I not have a
right to tell people how much I paid for gas someplace?

I learned this last summer when I emailed AirNav to ask why Atlantic wasn't
listed. I got back a very prompt reply from AirNav explaining that they were
served with legal papers from Atlantic's attorney. AirNav has been around a
while but is really a small operation and wisely won't (can't afford to)
litigate on principle.
I didn't believe what I was told so I asked one of the Atlantic managers and
he confirmed that "Atlantic had a lot of problems with the AirNav site". He
seemed very knowledgeable on the issue, mentioned that Atlantic operates
numerous FBOs, and was getting continuous negative customer feedback
(complaints) that they were being charged different rates than posted on
AirNav. I guess they took the easy solution and cancelled their ad payments.
I never followed up on why AirNav doesn't have a commercial advert listing
without fuel prices. The stories I got were remarkably consistent though, so
that's my story and I'm sticking to it.