IFR or VFR into MDW?

Old May 8th 04, 07:18 PM
David Rind

Default IFR or VFR into MDW?

I'm flying into Midway from Boston in a few days. Weather
and TFRs permitting, anyone have an opinion on whether
going in IFR or VFR is easier? I'm thinking with all the
O'Hare traffic that it might be simpler to go IFR, but
don't want to have them assign me a low altitude over the
lake....

--
David Rind

Old May 8th 04, 07:24 PM
David Megginson

David Rind wrote:

I'm flying into Midway from Boston in a few days. Weather
and TFRs permitting, anyone have an opinion on whether
going in IFR or VFR is easier? I'm thinking with all the
O'Hare traffic that it might be simpler to go IFR, but
don't want to have them assign me a low altitude over the
lake....

You don't have to accept a clearance for a low altitude over the lake -- you
can even put a remark in your flight plan to that effect (though it would
still be wise to mention it to the appropriate ATC unit when you start
talking to them).

Or to put it another way, if you're in VMC and cannot get the clearance you
want, you can always cancel IFR and continue VFR anyway.

All the best,

David
Old May 8th 04, 08:04 PM
Nathan Young

On Sat, 08 May 2004 14:18:32 -0400, David Rind
wrote:

I'm flying into Midway from Boston in a few days. Weather
and TFRs permitting, anyone have an opinion on whether
going in IFR or VFR is easier? I'm thinking with all the
O'Hare traffic that it might be simpler to go IFR, but
don't want to have them assign me a low altitude over the
lake....

I haven't flown into Midway in several years, but I do fly IFR/VFR in
the Chicago area frequently.

Traffic is heavy just South of the Lake, as most VFR is trying to get
around the lake and ORD airspace, also the 31 Localizer for MDW runs
through the area, and they will have Southwest jets stacked back for
30 miles. I have not had good success with VFR flight following in
this area, Center never gives a handoff to approach. Too many times I
have ended up without my radar service cancelled, stuck on top of the
localizer, trying to pick my way through the inbound Southwest jets
(which will be at about 6000 in the area). You may have a different
experience since you are actually going to MDW instead of passing
through.

I would file IFR for your trip, and have CGT VOR as the last point on
your flightplan. This will keep you South of the Lake and ultimately
assure you of radar services into the Chicago area.

Where are you headed in Chicago? If you a're going downtown, MDW is
your best bet now that CGX is gone, but if you're headed anywhere in
the burbs, there are probably better (and cheaper) options.

-Nathan

Old May 8th 04, 08:07 PM
Nathan Young

wrote:

I'm flying into Midway from Boston in a few days. Weather
and TFRs permitting, anyone have an opinion on whether
going in IFR or VFR is easier? I'm thinking with all the
O'Hare traffic that it might be simpler to go IFR, but
don't want to have them assign me a low altitude over the
lake....

I haven't flown into Midway in several years, but I do fly IFR/VFR in
the Chicago area frequently.

Traffic is heavy just South of the Lake, as most VFR is trying to get
around the lake and ORD airspace, also the 31 Localizer for MDW runs
through the area, and they will have Southwest jets stacked back for
30 miles. I have not had good success with VFR flight following in
this area, Center never gives a handoff to approach. Too many times I
have ended up without my radar service cancelled, stuck on top of the

Correction: This should read, " WITH my radar service cancelled..."

Old May 8th 04, 10:21 PM
David Rind

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information. I'm headed downtown. CGX would have
been perfect. :-(
--
David Rind

Old May 9th 04, 12:27 AM
Nathan Young

wrote:

[...]

If you don't have a ton of bags, you can take the Orange Line 'El'
train directly from MDW to downtown. Probably the quickest & cheapest
way to get there.

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/rail/Rail.html

It's public transit, but not terrifying

-Nathan