Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

Old July 8th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

I would think the aerial view of a high school would be distinctive
enough to be recognized by most folks; just look for the oval track in
the grass surrounded by classrooms.

Not if you come from a country where schools don't center on jocks.

Schools in the US center on jocks? I must have been out of it.

Where did you go to school? A convent? :-))
Old July 8th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:17:51 -0700, Peter Duniho wrote:

If the data is backed up, and there is 100% no chance of taking the drive
a recovery service, then there's no harm in messing around with utility
software. And there's a remote chance it might help. But otherwise, the
best course of action is to leave the drive powered down.

and what should the OP do with the powered down harddrive? He can't lose a
thing - no matter if his data is backed up or not. Just try to recover
your
data on the first attempt.

Do you *ever* bother to read these messages before you reply? Just to make
things easier for you, I'll leave in the text YOU QUOTED that explains what
you don't seem to be able to figure out yourself.

As I said already (and I guess you either forgot already or didn't bother to
read in the first place...see quoted text above), the reason to keep the
drive powered down is to avoid additional damage, so that a *professional*
data recovery service has a better chance of recovering the data.

The average user, if they really need the data back, all they are going to
accomplish by futzing around themselves with the drive is to make it harder
for someone who knows what they are doing to recover the data. It's much
better to keep the thing powered down than to mess with it.

Got it now? Or should I explain it a third time?

Pete

Old July 8th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Not if you come from a country where schools don't center on jocks.

Schools in the US center on jocks? I must have been out of it.

Not to mention that there are plenty of "jocks" at MIT. Pretty funny for
him to use that school as part of his point.

Old July 8th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

john smith wrote:
I would think the aerial view of a high school would be distinctive
enough to be recognized by most folks; just look for the oval track in
the grass surrounded by classrooms.

Not if you come from a country where schools don't center on jocks.

Schools in the US center on jocks? I must have been out of it.

Where did you go to school? A convent? :-))

Nah, but I pretty much was able to ignore the jocks. Even in college.
I had better things to do...you like, like fly.
Old July 9th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 14:03:14 -0700, Peter Duniho wrote:

Got it now? Or should I explain it a third time?

I already got it in the first place.

If there was important enough data on the harddrive (read: business related
data with a user dumb enough to not have a good backup) than I hope that
the OP wouldn't have to ask *here* what to do.

Pete

You can afford a professional harddrive recovery for your private data?
Will you adopt me?

#m
--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
Old July 9th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

Not to mention that there are plenty of "jocks" at MIT. Pretty funny for
him to use that school as part of his point.

Her. And I didn't find many, when I did a report on MIT.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 9th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Wolfgang,

I think you can legally do the radio on an uncontrolled field with only
BZFII (German language radio licence)

You're right, there may be a distinction between Class I and II fields
(that's depending on size).

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 9th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
I already got it in the first place.

If you already understood what the OP should do with a powered down
harddrive, then why did you write "and what should the OP do with the
powered down harddrive?"

If there was important enough data on the harddrive (read: business
related
data with a user dumb enough to not have a good backup) than I hope that
the OP wouldn't have to ask *here* what to do.

You, of all people, should know by know what making assumptions does for
you.

That said, the OP didn't actually ask here *what* to do. He simply asked
what the funny noise his drive was making *meant*. All of the subsequent
advice offered with respect to *what* to do was unsolicited.

Regardless of whether the advice was solicited or not, that doesn't change
the nature of the advice, nor the correctness of advising someone to leave
the drive alone if they expect to consult a professional data recovery
service.

You can afford a professional harddrive recovery for your private data?
Will you adopt me?

First of all, no...what in the world would make you think I, of all people,
would be willing to adopt you, of all people.

Secondly, whether I can afford professional harddrive recovery for private
data is irrelevant to the question. Whether Jim can afford it is only
*slightly* more relevant, since you don't know whether the data is actually
just personal stuff or not, nor do you have any idea just how much his
personal stuff might be worth even if it is. After you get through
answering those questions, then you might bring up the question of whether
he can afford it or not.

But third, data recovery services are as much about recovering data that
someone can't afford NOT to recover, than it is about recovering data that
they can afford TO recover. They get plenty of business from people who
really can't afford their services, but for whom not recovering the data is
not an option. Asking whether someone can afford it isn't really the right
question.

Not that any of that is relevant to your silly reply to my post.

Pete

Old July 9th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Not to mention that there are plenty of "jocks" at MIT. Pretty funny for
him to use that school as part of his point.

Her. And I didn't find many, when I did a report on MIT.

Her? Never heard of any women named "Thomas" before. Oh well...sorry about
that. Didn't mean to offend you by getting your gender wrong.

Old July 9th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Peter Duniho" wrote

That said, the OP didn't actually ask here *what* to do. He simply asked
what the funny noise his drive was making *meant*. All of the subsequent
advice offered with respect to *what* to do was unsolicited.

New symptoms. Now it isn't doing squat. It might have been a motherboard
problem. One part of it was getting very warm. I suspect the power supply,
too. Who knows! Gads!

That being said, this is a personal PC, and 90% of what is on that drive is
newsgroup letters I have saved, and some Internet links I have bookmarked.
The other drive has pictures and stuff like that, and it is backed up. The
drive in question is not backed up.

My son is about to graduate from App State, and part of his major is knowing
what to do with something like this. He might even have software for
recovering some of the data; I'm not sure.

I am capable of doing some trouble shooting, but I think I'll lay back, and
put some of my investment to work, if you know what I mean! g
--
Jim in NC