Jay Honeck must get an instrument rating

Old October 2nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michael[_1_]

Default I'm tired of hearing how "dangerous" flying is...

Ron Garret wrote:
Take it to the extreme: more people die every year riding in GA planes
than they do, say, jumping off bridges. That doesn't mean that jumping
off a bridge is safer than flying.

Having done both, I have to say that jumping off bridges IS safer than
flying - the risks are more manageable. Parachutes are more reliable
than airplanes (probably because they are simpler, and there is less
FAA regulation) and the conditions are more predictable.

But I do agree with you - the other activities mentioned clearly have
more fatalities due to much greater participation, not because they are
more dangerous than flying.

Michael

Old October 2nd 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Dylan Smith wrote in
:

On 2006-09-30, Judah wrote:
The odds of dying from choking ("Inhalation and Ingestion of food
causing obstruction of respirator track") is 4284 to 1, so just
slightly higher than flying. So basically, eating is slightly more
dangerous than flying.

You mentioned proportionality, and then threw it out of the window.

270 million Americans eat probably at least twice a day. There are only
600,000 pilots - with only 300,000 estimated as being active GA pilots.
A very active GA pilot will probably fly perhaps around 3 times a week.

To say eating is slightly more dangerous than flying is so wrong it
isn't even wrong. Your position seems to be one of denial (incidentally,
one of the hazardous attitudes we are all taught about in training)
rather than level-headed knowledge.

Odds are odds. My facetiousness is based on the simple fact that there is
no apples-to-apples comparison of these activities. Perhaps if you compared
it not by number of times the activity is performed, but by number of hours
engaged in the activity, you might come up with a different perspective -
after all with toay's fast-food mania, most people spend all of about 10
minutes stuffing their face, but most active pilots fly for at least 90
minutes per session, and many flights are for 3-4 hours.

And being frustrated with the general public perception of an activity that
I love has no bearing on the safety with which I perform the activity...
Now you're being facetious.
Old October 2nd 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Judah writes:

Exactly how many times have you filled out an insurance application?

Perhaps a dozen times or so.

How many different insurance companies?

It was a different one each time, as I recall.

Old October 2nd 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 2 Oct 2006 08:26:36 -0700, "Michael"
wrote in
. com:

Having done both, I have to say that jumping off bridges IS safer than
flying - the risks are more manageable. Parachutes are more reliable
than airplanes (probably because they are simpler, and there is less
FAA regulation) and the conditions are more predictable.

Are you sure it's not just the jumpers that are simpler? :-)

Old October 2nd 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Judah writes:

Exactly how many times have you filled out an insurance application?

Perhaps a dozen times or so.

How many different insurance companies?

It was a different one each time, as I recall.

Exactly how many different insurance companies are there?
Old October 2nd 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Michael" wrote in
ups.com:

Ron Garret wrote:
Take it to the extreme: more people die every year riding in GA planes
than they do, say, jumping off bridges. That doesn't mean that jumping
off a bridge is safer than flying.

Having done both, I have to say that jumping off bridges IS safer than
flying - the risks are more manageable. Parachutes are more reliable
than airplanes (probably because they are simpler, and there is less
FAA regulation) and the conditions are more predictable.

That largely depends on what percentage of the jumpers actually use
parachutes. I believe Suicide was listed as one of the top 10 causes of
death, although it didn't specify what percentage of suicides were caused by
bridge jumping.

That said, the question is not what's more dangerous. It's why do so many
people care so much about an activity that kills so few people?
Old October 2nd 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Emily" wrote in message
Well, then you'd be on the floor of the car...

Depends upon your restaint system... I had a Baja Bug many years ago in
which we rolled it a few times... It had a 4-point harness system, so we
would just be suspended upside down... Had to either figure out how to drink
beer upside down or had to unhood and drop down... Never did quite seem to
master drinking beer while upside down...

Old October 2nd 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Judah wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Judah writes:

Exactly how many times have you filled out an insurance application?

Perhaps a dozen times or so.

How many different insurance companies?

It was a different one each time, as I recall.

Exactly how many different insurance companies are there?

He's making it up. Insurance companies simply don't care.
Old October 3rd 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Emily wrote in
:

Judah wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Judah writes:

Exactly how many times have you filled out an insurance application?
Perhaps a dozen times or so.

How many different insurance companies?
It was a different one each time, as I recall.

Exactly how many different insurance companies are there?

He's making it up. Insurance companies simply don't care.

Some ask. But I would bet it's closer to half.

I'm going to ask my insurance buddies when I play poker with them on Friday.