I learned about flying from this, too...

Old February 16th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Private

Default I learned about flying from this, too...

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
Hi Ricky
On Feb 15, 11:27 pm, Ricky wrote:
On Feb 12, 9:40 am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

All snipped.....

I thought you were done, returning to your other demension or
whatever?

I was out paying taxes, to get some coin for the
piggy bank, I shook it 3 times and still didn't hear
any rattling, that's simple accounting to tell me
when I'm broke, works every time!
Ken

Some here would suggest that you apply the same strategy to your head before
posting.

I am somewhat embarrassed to be entering this thread, but I just can't
resist swinging at a soft pitch like that.
Happy landings,

Old February 16th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ken S. Tucker

On Feb 16, 9:55 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:64fb5517-76cc-49df-
:

Hi Ricky
On Feb 15, 11:27 pm, Ricky wrote:
On Feb 12, 9:40 am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

All snipped.....

I thought you were done, returning to your other demension or
whatever?

I was out paying taxes, to get some coin for the
piggy bank, I shook it 3 times and still didn't hear
any rattling, that's simple accounting to tell me
when I'm broke, works every time!

IOW we are always broke.
Bertie

That's right, you were born $100K in debt.
Ken
Old February 16th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

On Feb 16, 9:55 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

Hi Ricky
On Feb 15, 11:27 pm, Ricky wrote:
On Feb 12, 9:40 am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

All snipped.....

I thought you were done, returning to your other demension or
whatever?

I was out paying taxes, to get some coin for the
piggy bank, I shook it 3 times and still didn't hear
any rattling, that's simple accounting to tell me
when I'm broke, works every time!

IOW we are always broke.
Bertie

That's right, you were born $100K in debt.

Nope. Never owed anything in my life.

Bertie
Old February 16th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

On Feb 16, 2:39 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote :

On Feb 16, 9:55 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

Hi Ricky
On Feb 15, 11:27 pm, Ricky wrote:
On Feb 12, 9:40 am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

All snipped.....

I thought you were done, returning to your other demension or
whatever?

I was out paying taxes, to get some coin for the
piggy bank, I shook it 3 times and still didn't hear
any rattling, that's simple accounting to tell me
when I'm broke, works every time!

IOW we are always broke.
Bertie

That's right, you were born $100K in debt.

Nope. Never owed anything in my life.
Bertie

Sell that to the IRS.
Ken
PS: I know that math is above pilots IQ, but
check out the thickness of your wallet.
Old February 16th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

On Feb 16, 2:39 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote
innews:ef1fc3d9-9ba3-41d3-bdee-424c5e140014

@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.c
om:

On Feb 16, 9:55 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

Hi Ricky
On Feb 15, 11:27 pm, Ricky wrote:
On Feb 12, 9:40 am, "Ken S. Tucker"
wrote:

All snipped.....

I thought you were done, returning to your other demension or
whatever?

I was out paying taxes, to get some coin for the
piggy bank, I shook it 3 times and still didn't hear
any rattling, that's simple accounting to tell me
when I'm broke, works every time!

IOW we are always broke.
Bertie

That's right, you were born $100K in debt.

Nope. Never owed anything in my life.
Bertie

Sell that to the IRS.

Don't need to.

Ken
PS: I know that math is above pilots IQ, but
check out the thickness of your wallet.

Why? I eat, so does my family. I have toys and own and have always owned
my house outright. Unless you plan on coming to take it from me I think
I needn't worry on that account.

Bertie

Nyah nyah.

Bertie
Old February 17th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 5, 3:11 pm, Dallas wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:26:26 -0600, Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
I did when I first started flying then like many stopped.

I suspect it's a bit of a badge of honor to not use an outside checklist.

--
Dallas

Maybe... but if you fly the same airplane every day (or nearly so),
you develop a flow for what's right (like handling real currency all
day -- you can "feel" a phony bill).

I'm sure someone's observed me doing a preflight and thought, "He's
not using a checklist!"

He/she would be wrong.

I usually drop the checklist on the left wing, crawl down and do fuel
and gear checks, walk the left wing, pick up the checklist and
confirm. Then I open the cowling, check the engine, close it up, pick
up the checklist and confirm what I've done. After the prop and nose
gear I drop it on the right wing, repeat crawling, then pick it up and
carry it as I do the empennage inspection.

Once in and belted, the checklist is on my kneeboard and -- depending
on phase of flight -- is used for do and confirm or say and do.

The Pre-takeoff run up is a read and do. Even if I'm flying often it's
a long list and done by memory something gets forgotten.

I have a pre-takeoff brief I read through (out loud when I'm not solo)
that includes the following:

Taking off from Runway: ______ for Departure to the : _______
(Straight out or Cardinal Direction).
Rotation Speed 70 KIAS
Vx 78 KIAS
Vy 96 KIAS
Best Glide Speed 110 KIAS
Approach Speed for Emergency Return 110 KIAS
* Gear up Vy + Climbing and past opposite runway threshold
* Lost Power 1000' AGL: Manuever to land in open area as straight
ahead as possible
* Lost Power 1000' AGL: Left 180° with 45° bank angle to return to
runway (downwind landing)
* (Co-pilot) Monitor all engine instruments in the green prior to
rotation
* Exits & Ventilation
* Questions?

Once power is full the checklist is memory: Oil pressure in green,
RPM, Fuel Flow, MP as expected, airspeed as expected, rotate, Vx, VY,
Gear up.

I make my own checklist for every airplane I fly that includes
instrument checklists as well as a/c specific stuff (JPI Engine
Analyzer setup and checks, for example).

I use the Blue Air Force Air Crew checklist booklets. They fit
perfectly on a kneeboard and protect the pages far better than
lamination.

I think reading a checklist in certain phases of flight helps slow
things down and help maintain focus. That said, there are other phases
where memory checklists (GUMPSS) is better as you aren't searching for
text and reading what you should already know.

Dan