Yet Another Annual Story

Old March 31st 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

Default Yet Another Annual Story

Actually, a "condition inspection".

Kelly is in Los Angles this weekend, so I have all weekend to play. Or, to
do the condition inspection on the RV-6, open the swimming pool, and mow the
lawn for the first time this year...

Tonight started well. Since the airport is sorta between where I work and
home, I planned to get two of the worst parts of the inspection out of the
way this evening. That way, I can spread the inspection out over a couple of
days so I'm not frustrated or fatigued by trying to carry out 95% of the
inspection tomorrow..

First I took a look at the control systems under the seatpans. Working on
these systems isn't very enjoyable.. There isn't a *great* place to stand or
sit, and there is absolutely no way to get comfortable, since you're mostly
standing on the wing, bent over the side of the airplane, and working at the
same level as your feet. I pulled the forty-eleven screws that secure the
seatpans (a battery powered screwdriver sped this process), and pulled the
little arm that controls the aileron trim. Then, me, my inspection light,
and an inspection mirror took a good look at all of the hardware that hides
under the seats - the push-pulls for the ailerons and elevator, the manual
trim system, etc. No problems there - everything had the right number of
cotter pins, nuts, and bolts, with a little safety wire thrown in for good
measure.

Since I was in there, I also checked the 20 or so bolts which hold the wings
to the airplane. All accounted for and tight (although I didn't check the
torque). I also got a damp cloth and wiped the crud off of everything.
Things look better without a patina of dust bunnies and airport crud. Then,
I put the seatpans, the forty-eleven screws and the aileron trim system back
in, completing one of the three not-so-fun chores in my inspection.

Next, I climbed out of the cockpit and pulled the aileron bellcrank access
panels under the wings - two panels times about 10 screws each. Checked all
of the jamb nuts, all of the rod end bearings, and all of the hardware
holding stuff in place. Also checked for clearances - don't need a wear
situation causing a control jam. No problems there, so the panels and
screws went right back on. Then, I did the same things for the elevator
push/pull connection back in the tail. Eight screws there to pull and
reinstall.

While I was at the empennage, I went ahead and inspected the elevator and
rudder hinges, the elevator trim system, and the rudder cables, tailwheel
springs, etc. No problems back there other than the perpetual coat of oil
from my slightly leaky engine.

For the final act, I grabbed my inspection light, inspection mirror, and a
packing blanket. The packing blanket gets strategically placed on sharp bits
inside the cockpit so I can climb head first down into the footwell to
inspect the rudder weldments, brake petals, etc. without suffering
debilitating injuries. I'm 42 years old, 155 lbs, and 5'7". I don't see
how bigger, older folks handle this task. It isn't any fun. I remember
getting a cramp while working in the footwell when I was building the
airplane. It took me a long time to get out of there that night, and I
started having those odd thoughts like "If I can't get out of here, I wonder
how many days it'll be before someone finds me?". And (Newspaper
headline): "Body Found in Homebuilt Airplane". Anyway, no problems getting
out of the floorboard "pit" tonight, and no problems found in the
rudders/brakes. I even reinstalled a piece of carpet that passengers like to
kick loose.

And with that, 75% of my airframe inspection (including 2 of the 3 *tough*
tasks) was complete in 2 hours. Tomorrow, I need to inspect the flap
mechanism, the elevator bellcrank behind the seats, and the flap and aileron
hinges. At that point, the "airframe" portion of my inspection will be
complete. Then it is on to the engine and brakes.

Of course, I'll fly the airplane tomorrow morning to warm the oil before I
pull the cowl for the inspection and oil change. That's a nice thing about
doing your own inspections - if you plan (and execute) properly, you can
take the airplane back and forth between "inspection" and "flying" mode so
you don't miss good flying days, and get your inspection done too..

KB

Old March 31st 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

That's a nice thing about
doing your own inspections - if you plan (and execute) properly, you can
take the airplane back and forth between "inspection" and "flying" mode so
you don't miss good flying days, and get your inspection done too..

Sweet. Thanks for sharing that, Kyle.

I think those of us who are unfamiliar with the homebuilt procedures
(you'd think 24 years of attending OSH would have taught me
*something* about homebuilts, no?) are usually surprised and jealous
when we hear stuff like this. It's all just so...sensible.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 1st 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

Default Yet Another Annual Story - Day II

I took the airplane up on Saturday AM to warm the oil. After landing, I
pulled the prop and cowl to give easy access to the engine and commenced
with the firewall forward portion of my condition inspection.

I expected about 3 hours of firewall forward inspection. It took 6. One
extra hour because I noticed that the carb bowl was loose and fixed that
problem. Some of the time was spent finding one of the local AI's who had
the lock-tabs I needed to complete the job. Another extra hour was spent
putting the air filter back in. That thing is a bear. I think the filter has
shrunk since I installed it years ago. Maybe time for a replacement?

I'm not sure where the other extra hour went. Maybe I spent it wiping
things down to remove oil from the oil leak I can't find. I am tempted to
replace the little rubber hoses that are part of the oil return system from
the valve area of the engine - one or more of those hoses may be leaking at
the connection.

Otherwise, nothing to report except a few more scratches and scrapes (on me)
than I expected. And I'm a little sore today due to being in awkward
positions to work on some things.

My most satisfying moment was replacing a leaky fuel drain on a near-full
tank while only spilling a cup or so of fuel. Not bad, I thought...

What's left? Well, I have an AI run a compression test and time the
magneto. He'll work me in sometime next week. Also, I need to inspect the
flap linkages and the elevator bellcrank behind the baggage compartment.
That one isn't fun. Finally, I need to check the timing on the electronic
ignition. Then, I get to button everything back up, make a few logbook
entries, and go fly some more...

I figure a couple of hours of my time, plus coordinating with the AI and
I'll be done.

Then I need to clean and wax it. Right now, it looks like an airplane shaped
pile of pollen.

KB