Hello? Any oldtimers around?

Old August 6th 12, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith[_2_]

Default Hello? Any oldtimers around?

On 2012-08-04, Vaughn wrote:
That is exactly correct. I use the "Bad Elf" GPS. That said, I don't
hear a lot of enthusiasm for the GPS installed in the 3G/4G IPads.

I don't know about the 3G iPad (never had one), but the new iPad 3 (4G)
seems to have a very good GPS, at least on a par with any dedicated
handheld GPS that I've tried to date.

Old August 7th 12, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bug Dout

On 2012-08-04, Vaughn wrote:
That is exactly correct. I use the "Bad Elf" GPS. That said, I don't
hear a lot of enthusiasm for the GPS installed in the 3G/4G IPads.

I don't know about the 3G iPad (never had one), but the new iPad 3 (4G)
seems to have a very good GPS, at least on a par with any dedicated
handheld GPS that I've tried to date.

For VFR flying I won't hesitate to use any iPad's GPS. But it doesn't
have WAAS, so if you want better altitude or really precise horizontal,
and external GPS will be required.
~ Pablo Picasso
Old August 29th 12, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
MJ

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 15:12:16 +0000, Dylan Smith wrote in
:

Tablets in general will be the death knell for Garmin and their ilk
unless the dedicated aviation GPS makers really up their game. A tablet
with SkyDemon is so much better than anything I've used in dedicated
handheld GPS form, it's less expensive even with the subscription, and
it can also be used for other things too.

The 406 MHz ELBs will, in many many models, use instrument GPS for their
statement of position rather than a separate ELB built-in unit. Is there
a (removable) tablet that is FAA-approved for such installations?

Old August 30th 12, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article , MJ wrote:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 15:12:16 +0000, Dylan Smith wrote in

The 406 MHz ELBs will, in many many models, use instrument GPS for their
statement of position rather than a separate ELB built-in unit. Is there
a (removable) tablet that is FAA-approved for such installations?

GPS chips are so cheap these days (thanks to cell phones) that
pretty much all 406 MHz beacons have them these days. The ELTs
with external GPS are just a bad hack.

I carry a 406 MHz PLB since a 121.5 MHz ELT is just ballast and
the rentals I fly don't have 406 MHz ELTs. Smaller than my cell
phone, and includes GPS.

http://www.aeromedix.com/ACR-Resqlin...eacon-GPS.html

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old August 31st 12, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith[_2_]

On 2012-08-29, MJ wrote:
The 406 MHz ELBs will, in many many models, use instrument GPS for their
statement of position rather than a separate ELB built-in unit. Is there
a (removable) tablet that is FAA-approved for such installations?

Are handhelds approved for this purpose? Note we're talking about the
handheld market here, not the IFR approved TSO'd units.

In any case I would want a beacon with the GPS actually built into it.
Connectors are something that are likely to fail in a crash. (I also
don't live in the US - there's no requirement for an ELT or any such
device where I live, but since any cross country I do requires me to fly
over around 60nm of open water, we have a beacon that is portable and
floats. Not much point in having one permanently affixed to the airframe
as it would go down with the ship during a ditching).