Flying while deaf

Old September 26th 04, 06:52 AM
Toks Desalu

Well, obviously, I missed part of the conversation. If I spoke out of

turn,
I apologize. The part I did catch didn't make sense to me at the time and

was probably taking things a bit too literally.

I can see where you going with this. You probably took this a bit too
literally. That bring us back to the previous question. "What does having
been owned by a deaf helicopter have to do with the auction of a car?" I
don't know. Maybe, some people think that car have a sentimental value.
Maybe, the seller is trying to make a profit by using that article. I don't
know what the seller's motive behind this. Either way, I think his
advertising is plainly stupid. But, the seller might get lucky.

Toks Desalu
PP-ASEL
Dyin' to Soar!

Old September 26th 04, 11:31 AM
Henry Kisor

Old September 26th 04, 11:31 AM
Henry Kisor

Some facts about deaf pilots:

1. The first one was Cal Rodgers away back in 1911. He was the first pilot,
hearing or deaf, to transit the United States, in a Wright Model B called
the Vin Fiz.

2. At any one time, approximately 150 to 175 active pilots hold U.S.
certificates bearing the limitation "Not valid for flights requiring the use
of radio." Australia also allows deaf private pilots, subject to its more
stringent limitations on no-radio flight. All European countries forbid deaf
private pilots, though several allow them to fly ULM aircraft (Ultralight
Motorized, comparable to the U.S. Sport Pilot rating).

3. Some deaf pilots hold commercial certificates. At least one holds an
instrument rating. (He uses a cochlear implant and communicates with ATC.)

4. The NTSB has never blamed an accident on a deaf pilot's lack of hearing.

There *are* certain problems involved with being a deaf pilot. One is that
since 9/11 they have not been able to fly through an ADIZ because of their
inability to communicate with ATC. The Deaf Pilots Association has wanted
to fly in loose formation to the Bahamas and back, but it can't do this
without a hearing pilot along,

Another is that they can't transit Class B airspace, as Toks Desalu
mentioned. For instance, deaf pilots can't use the VFR routes across
O'Hare's Class B but have to go around. That's not generally a major
problem, though.

Although deaf pilots can and do use Class D and Class C airports with light
signals, often a tower will deny permission owing to heavy traffic. Some
towers refuse permission at all, even during light-traffic periods.

Some FBOs refuse to rent aircraft to deaf pilots, although doing so is a
clear violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. (Fortunately this
doesn't happen often, and usually gentle re-education solves the problem.)

Henry

Old September 26th 04, 11:56 AM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:04:09 -0400, "Toks Desalu"
wrote:

It is not a scam or anything. They fly strictly under VFR, like any other
pilots who fly without radio.

Since I had to get a SODA to fly with monocular vision (left eye blind
for all practical purposes), I have to believe that a deaf pilot also
has a SODA, and that it restricts what airspace he can enter.

Be an interesting question if one visits the local FSDO.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org
Old September 26th 04, 01:56 PM
Jim Carter

When a private company like Phillips Petroleum operates the control tower is
it still considered a control tower? They offer advisories but caution you
they are not controlling traffic at Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Neither are they
part of ATC, however they will open and close clearances as a courtesy.
Things may have changed because I haven't been there in a while, but there
are still privately operated towers around the country aren't there?

--
Jim Carter
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Steve R." wrote in message

That's for communications with the control tower at a controlled field
airport, not ATC!

It's not ATC that staffs control towers?

Maybe,

Maybe it's not ATC that staffs control towers? Who do you think staffs
them?

but if the guy is 20 miles out and needing clearance to enter the

airport
traffic area, he's not going to be able to "see" the signal lights very
well, is he?

What is this airport traffic area that requires clearance to enter at 20
miles out?

What if he needs to transit a Class B airspace to get to the
controlled field?

Then he's almost certainly outta luck. ATC must separate all traffic in
Class B airspace and it's rather hard to do that without communications.

If he can't hear, he can't communicate with ATC, thus,
he can't get clearance. I've got to wonder if this one isn't a scam.

The question was, "How does one communicate with ATC when one is deaf?"
It's a simple question. One CAN use light gun signals. Can you think of
any others?

Incidentally, there was a time when most aircraft had no radios and light
gun signals were the main form of pilot/controller communications at

towered
fields.

Signal lights are for short range, visual communications and there's no
use for them outside the airport traffic area.

That's all true. So what's your point?

Incidentally, we haven't had Airport Traffic Areas in the US for almost
eleven years now.

Old September 26th 04, 02:36 PM
Rocky

(bryan chaisone) wrote in message . com...
How does one communicate with ATC when one is deaf?

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tego ry=31853

Bryan
I trained a couple of pilots who were deaf and they often went into
controlled airports. It was done via flight plans in which the
destination airport was advised NO RADIO and the pilots look for light
signals on arrival downwind. My pilots would write out their flight
plan and ask someone to call FSS to file it for them (via notes and
pantomime)and to open it when they took off. Certainly they would be
unable to fly legally in Class B but even then a 7600 transponder code
would alert ATC to a potential problem.
On a recent training flight we lost electrical and for all practical
purposes were "deaf". It was good for my student as he was able to see
how to actually come back into controlled airspace, alert the tower of
a radio problem, and land/taxi back to parking. No big deal if you use
your head and all the available resources.
Ol Shy & Bashful
Old September 26th 04, 02:46 PM
bryan chaisone

Let me clarify my question. As a rated pilot, I am aware of the use
of light signals when your radio is out. My question should have been
'Are there ways for a deaf pilot to communicate with ATC other than
using light signals?'.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old September 26th 04, 03:35 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

But wouldn't that rule out even Delta airspace?

No. One can obtain authorization to operate NORDO aircraft in Class D
airspace, that's essentially the same situation as a deaf pilot.