US Standard Class Nationals

Old August 6th 18, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Default US Standard Class Nationals

Good lord, who invented this torturous sport.
The only fun part was the line finish.
So, here we go. A 300 mile assigned task that took us across Bush Ranch twice. The first leg 100 miles SW into a quarter headwind that took the mortal pilots a couple of hours followed by a right turn for a 60 mile downwind dash. Right turn again to the SE into....what?.....a big overdevelopment making plenty of shade....on top of the turn.
Survival mode , red alert, all hands on deck, close w t doors, #@%&# me and the horsey.....I moved a couple miles south of the turn to a dark cloud to be greeted by rain drops. I see a couple of gliders retreating back west into the sun when I notice a little sun over nearby Waco and decided to go for it.
Touched the turn and sho nuf wisps started forming. 3 of us formed up and climbed to top at around 6k.
All 3 of us then headed into the dead zone for 30 mile glide to the other side where good clouds await. We all took separate tracks and I reach mine around 2k agl. The tailwind saved our bacon. One more climb to 6 got me home..
Several scores still missing....maybe long retrieves....my roommate and his crew just got home......
good time to turn out my light.....hide....