Another who pays question

Old March 28th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default Another who pays question

Had a major radio install on my Baron- a Garmin 530W and 430W. As part of
the install the avionics shop moved the radar display.

On the trip home (the same trip where in IMC the alternator quit) I turned
the radar on, since there were some storms over my home airport as indicated
by the nexrad.

Of course, the radar unit was completely dead. When I called the shop, they
said that they moved the unit, but that no one had checked its operation.

Now, I have to fly an hour each way to the avionics shop to fix the problem.

Who should pay for the gas? I realistically don't expect them to pay for two
hours of Baron flying time (which would probably negate any profit they made
on the installation).

However, is it unreasonable to expect them to pay for some of the gas?

Old March 28th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Mar 28, 10:14 am, "Viperdoc" wrote:
Had a major radio install on my Baron- a Garmin 530W and 430W. As part of
the install the avionics shop moved the radar display.

On the trip home (the same trip where in IMC the alternator quit) I turned
the radar on, since there were some storms over my home airport as indicated
by the nexrad.

Of course, the radar unit was completely dead. When I called the shop, they
said that they moved the unit, but that no one had checked its operation.

Now, I have to fly an hour each way to the avionics shop to fix the problem.

Who should pay for the gas? I realistically don't expect them to pay for two
hours of Baron flying time (which would probably negate any profit they made
on the installation).

However, is it unreasonable to expect them to pay for some of the gas?

If they moved the radar display and didn't check it operation I would
think twice before using them again. MHO.

Old March 28th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

"Viperdoc" wrote in message

Who should pay for the gas? I realistically don't expect them to pay for
two hours of Baron flying time (which would probably negate any profit
they made on the installation).

However, is it unreasonable to expect them to pay for some of the gas?

I think asking to pay for the gas would be a very equitable request. If they
push back, just remind them that they put you in a potentially dangerous
situation of flying near weather with an inop radar.

Marco

Old March 28th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 28, 9:14 am, "Viperdoc" wrote:
Had a major radio install on my Baron- a Garmin 530W and 430W. As part of
the install the avionics shop moved the radar display.

On the trip home (the same trip where in IMC the alternator quit) I turned
the radar on, since there were some storms over my home airport as indicated
by the nexrad.

Of course, the radar unit was completely dead. When I called the shop, they
said that they moved the unit, but that no one had checked its operation.

Now, I have to fly an hour each way to the avionics shop to fix the problem.

Who should pay for the gas? I realistically don't expect them to pay for two
hours of Baron flying time (which would probably negate any profit they made
on the installation).

However, is it unreasonable to expect them to pay for some of the gas?

That's one of those tough situations. I don't think it would be
reasonable to ask them for gas though. I've certainly never heard of
that being done.

-Robert

Old March 28th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Nathan Young

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:14:42 -0500, "Viperdoc"
wrote:

Had a major radio install on my Baron- a Garmin 530W and 430W. As part of
the install the avionics shop moved the radar display.

On the trip home (the same trip where in IMC the alternator quit) I turned
the radar on, since there were some storms over my home airport as indicated
by the nexrad.

Of course, the radar unit was completely dead. When I called the shop, they
said that they moved the unit, but that no one had checked its operation.

Now, I have to fly an hour each way to the avionics shop to fix the problem.

Who should pay for the gas? I realistically don't expect them to pay for two
hours of Baron flying time (which would probably negate any profit they made
on the installation).

Did your sales contract cover these kind of details? I would think an
avionics shop must run into these issues frequently, and hence their
contracts would be written in a manner to address repair of adjacent
avionics systems and transportation costs. Of course, that's probably
asking too much - it seems to me that many companies in the aviation
field simply 'wing' their operations vs being professional.

Having said that, if the radar was working when you dropped it off, I
would they pay at least the gas price for the trip. For your sake
(and the avionics shop), I hope it is a simple fix, and they did not
fry the radar.

Dealing with these types of issues are certainly a major downside to
going 'remote' for aircraft/avionics work. I find it an incredible
pain to have major work done at airports that are 15nm away, let alone
100s. This is not a knock on those shops, just the logistics of
getting to/from without the plane, or having a friend follow you
there.

Old March 29th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

No way the shop should pay the gas. You didn't test it and it is part of the
pre-takeoff checklist.

Karl

Old March 29th 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

Two hours of gas? No, I don't think so. That should have been checked out on
the ground and in a 20 minute test flight before leaving the area. That's
true whether they checked it or not.

Plus, if you can't prove that the unit was working before they moved the
display, you're already going into a ****ing contest as to who should foot
the bill to get it working.

I agree with the other poster who suggested that they should have verified
its operation as part of the move. If they were a good shop, they should
have checked before and after the move to protect themselves and you.

--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old March 29th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

Since when is operating the radar on the ground with people around part of a
pre-flight check list? It certainly isn't in my POH.

Don't you think the installer should have at least checked the operation
prior to releasing the plane?

Old March 29th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

I again agree completely. They should have done a pre and post repair check
on the unit. Now, it's my word that it worked before they got the plane
(which it did).

I have done a lot of business with this shop in the past- two Garmin 330's,
two 530's, a 430, GDL 69, and stormscope. He has seen that everything that's
supposed to work does the job, and if not, is repaired ASAP. I purchased a
plane that I knew I could afford to run and maintain, and I will never defer
or do duct tape maintenance- it is the number one cause of accidents in
twins.

Yet, it's another day off of work, and over two hours of flying time (with
the newly repaired electrical system).

I have resolved never to get upset over flying and it's associated
activities. I do it at a level that I can comfortably afford, and will never
scrimp on maintenance. It's supposed to be fun and enjoyment, and if I need
stress and anxiety I can simply go to work rather than spend the day in a
flying activity.

Unlike my alternator scenario, the avionics shop guy was ****ed at his
installers when they admitted they did not check the operation of the radar
after moving it in the stack.

He willingly agreed to pay for half the gas, and I probably would have gone
flying anyway. At least on this trip I'm going to fly west around Chicago,
rather than going straight over Lake Michigan (at least on the way down).

t...

Who pays? Viperdoc[_4_] Owning 15 March 30th 07 04:31 AM
It Pays to be a Pilot Seth Masia Piloting 5 November 23rd 05 11:46 AM
Reading R.A.O. pays off The Weiss Family Owning 23 September 14th 04 03:02 PM
Black Hawk unit pays tribute to aviators Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 June 26th 04 10:31 PM
Israel pays the price for buying only Boeing (and not Airbus) Tarver Engineering Military Aviation 57 July 8th 03 12:23 AM