KVUO to KAST & Back IFR 1.8 Act. 2.7 Total "First In Act. IFR X-C"

Old June 26th 05, 02:28 PM
Andrew Sarangan

"NW_PILOT" wrote in
:

Portland Approach Was Calling Out Traffic, Traffic 10:00 3,000' I
Responded Portland We are at 5,000' Solid IFR Unable to See Traffic!
Dose This Happen a Lot While IFR???? Was My Response Correct?

This means someone was flying VFR not too far from your position. It
happens often when you are in and out of IMC mixing with other VFR traffic.

Old June 26th 05, 06:40 PM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...
This means someone was flying VFR not too far from your position.

For what it's worth, there was nothing in the original post that suggested
that the traffic being reported was VFR versus IFR, and at 3000' IFR was a
very real possibility. Even when separation services are being provided
between two airplanes, ATC may report one as traffic to the other (and often
does).

Pete

Old June 27th 05, 09:36 PM

Congrats on your instrument rating and your IFR flight.

BTW, in case you fly IFR into KAST during the spring and fall times,
bear in mind that the ILS into KAST seems to take you right thru some
bad icing spot in the entire area. The mountains east of AST lifts the
wet ocean air and creates icing condition very easily. Summer time is
fine with icing levels higher.

NW_PILOT wrote:
KVUO To KAST

Well, After getting my instrument rating 2 months ago and just playing local
in my 150 getting used to Popping in and out of the clouds totally different
than the hood I decided it was a good day for a real IFR X-C not a very far
one but ceilings were 1,300' local and 2,500' at destination reported with 3
to 5 miles visibility and to be around 2,000 all day diminishing late
afternoon .

Well called in and got my clearance took then about 15 min to get to me,
Nice simple Clearance Cleared to KAST, Via BTG Vortac As Filed, Maintain
4,000 expect 6,000 10 Min. Depart Freq 124.35 Code XXXXX, Switch To
Advisory Contact Departure Airborne.

All is going good then oops My PTT Switch Got Stuck at about 2,500' solid
IFR figured it out got back radios about my expected time to climb, was
asked N7676U how do you read told them had a stuck mike they said ok and to
& Climb Maintain 6,000 turn to Heading XXX Cleared Direct KAST resume Own
Navigation direct to KAST. I broke out on top for a bit at about 5,300' what
a feeling and sight. I Was told so long contact center on XXX.XX was told
continue present heading expect radar vectors to the ILS 26 KAST About 15
min later they were vectoring me around, Told me to hold heading until
established report once established on LOC then switch to advisory return
back to this Frequency to cancel IFR.

Now what a sight to see descending through the clouds, at about 1,400'
started to break out 1,100' with airport clearly right infront of us my
indicator looked like it was a set of sights on a rifle!!! Switched back to
Center and told them have the airport cancel IFR they asked me where I broke
out I told them they said thanks Squawk 1200 good day.

Return from KAST to KVUO

Reporting Clear At KVUO Climbed in the airplane Called and got my Clearance
Cleared to KVUO as Filed they gave me 5 Min to get it in the air and contact
them for an expire time, We departed KAST and was told to climb at max climb
hahahahaha I was struggling to do 600fpm as I was pushing gross. Was In the
clouds at about 1,100' Solid until about 5,000 then patchy in and out. Was a
bit more turbulent on the way back to KVUO than on the way to KAST.

OK Now center has been radar vectoring me all over the place for traffic,
good practice of situational awareness (I Have GPS so I Cheated) they told
me to resume my own navigation direct to BTG VOR contact & Portland Approach
On 124.35 good day, I Contacted Portland told me to fly heading XXX Direct
to BTG VOR Expect 4,000 in 10 Min, Continued I am told to hold and maintain
4,000 Expect 3,000 in 10 min. 5 min later told me descend to 3,000, and told
me I cannot have the approach in to KVUO as KPDX is departing in that
direction gave me many options since it was VFR at KVUP I took vectors to
KVUO, fly heading XXX expect radar vectors to KVUO, report when VFR about 5
min later I was told to descend to 2,000 about 2,300' broke out to VFR.
Reported VFR and Lake Vancouver Insight, Canceled IFR went Direct To KVUO.

All I can say is This Instrument Flying Is the ****!!! Way better than using
Foggles or a Hood and Doing Approaches All Day Long. Being surrounded by
white & grey then seeing that airport pop out at you is a rush beyond
rushes. I am slowly making my IFR flight's further and further. But
progressing at my own comfort level, and as stamina & comfort level builds I
will be going further and further in to the soup. I don't think I will ever
fly many places VFR , IFR is way simpler and a whole lot more fun except for
no music!!!!

Learned a Lot On This Little Trip! Just a few Questions For The Pro's???

Portland Approach Was Calling Out Traffic, Traffic 10:00 3,000' I Responded
Portland We are at 5,000' Solid IFR Unable to See Traffic! Dose This Happen
a Lot While IFR???? Was My Response Correct?

5 Min Clearance Void Time, Dose this Happen a Lot, kinda puts the pressure
on ya!

Dose anyone use any products like Visine ect for their eyes for extended
periods of IFR time?

Old June 28th 05, 01:36 AM
Andrew Sarangan

If the other traffic were IFR, then what is the purpose of ATC pointing out
that traffic?

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

Old June 28th 05, 06:22 AM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...
If the other traffic were IFR, then what is the purpose of ATC pointing
out
that traffic?

Huh?

The purpose is the same reason they would point out VFR traffic: so that you
are aware of other traffic in your vicinity.

Pete

Old June 28th 05, 01:08 PM
Andrew Sarangan

I thought the purpose was to maintain visual separation from the other
traffic. If both traffic are under IFR, then separation is automatically
provided, so I still don't see what the purpose of pointing out the other
traffic is.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

Old June 28th 05, 01:12 PM
Robert Chambers

ATC doesn't know all the time if you're IMC or VMC. Even if the traffic
in your area is also IFR and therefore under their control they still
may point it out to you so it doesn't come as a surprise when you get
within visual distance of each other. I was flying IFR in the northeast
a few years back at 5000' ATC called out "a string of sixes 4 miles 12
O'clock". As it turned out we were between layers of clouds between
4500 and 6000' or so. In a minute or so I saw 3 Dash-8's going the
opposite direction a couple of thousand feet above me. There was no
collision hazard of course but it was good that the controller told me
because I might have been surprised to see them otherwise.

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I thought the purpose was to maintain visual separation from the other
traffic. If both traffic are under IFR, then separation is automatically
provided, so I still don't see what the purpose of pointing out the other
traffic is.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

.61...

Old June 28th 05, 01:25 PM
Jose

ATC called out "a string of sixes 4 miles 12 O'clock"

What is a "six"?

Jose
r.a.student stripped - I don't follow it.
--
You may not get what you pay for, but you sure as hell pay for what you get.
Old June 28th 05, 02:37 PM
Dave Butler

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
If the other traffic were IFR, then what is the purpose of ATC pointing out
that traffic?

If you report the traffic in sight ATC can tell you to maintain visual
separation, thus relieving him or her of separation duties and allowing less
separation distance. Otherwise, it's also an enhancement to safety if you and
ATC are both assuring separation.
Old June 29th 05, 04:27 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Why would you be surprised to see airplanes flying a couple of thousand
ft above you? I never had a controller point out a traffic 2000' above
except in unusual circumstances - ie heavy C130 crossing above my flight
path etc..

Robert Chambers wrote in
:

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I thought the purpose was to maintain visual separation from the
other traffic. If both traffic are under IFR, then separation is
automatically provided, so I still don't see what the purpose of
pointing out the other traffic is.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1.61...

If the other traffic were IFR, then what is the purpose of ATC
pointing out
that traffic?

Huh?

The purpose is the same reason they would point out VFR traffic: so
that you are aware of other traffic in your vicinity.

Pete

how much money have you lost on the lottery? NOW GET THAT MONEY BACK! shane Home Built 0 February 5th 05 07:54 AM
BD5B Big John Home Built 36 November 19th 03 12:07 AM
The Little Wheel in Back Veeduber Home Built 6 September 8th 03 10:29 AM
Localizer Back Course vs. ILS ilsub Instrument Flight Rules 8 August 25th 03 04:04 PM
they took me back in time and the nsa or japan wired my head and now they know the idea came from me so if your back in time and wounder what happen they change tim liverance history for good. I work at rts wright industries and it a time travel trap tim liverance Military Aviation 0 August 18th 03 12:18 AM