Winds

Old October 14th 03, 07:00 PM
Susan

Default Winds

We bad! :-)

Yup, certainly are...especially since this is a group of people who supposedly
love to fly..you would think that one question out of the ordinary would not
trigger the latter responses Ive gotten here. I know if ihad a love of something
Id want to share/expose others to it so they could find the same joy.

Oh well...the world would be way too boring if we were all kind!
Old October 14th 03, 10:55 PM
Dan Luke

"Susan" wrote:
Oh well...the world would be way too boring if we were all kind!

Easy there, Susan. This is a pilots' newsgroup, after all. Such narrow
communities often have their own styles of gallows humor - doctors and cops
are the same. Sorry if you found some of the posts disturbing; I'm sure that
wasn't the intent.

Your question was a reasonable one and you got fair answers. What happens
after that is the kind of newsgroup noise that afflicts almost every thread.
It's usually harmless and half the fun of usenet.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 15th 03, 02:46 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Dan Luke" c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet wrote in message
"Susan" wrote:
Oh well...the world would be way too boring if we were all kind!

Easy there, Susan. This is a pilots' newsgroup, after all. Such narrow
communities often have their own styles of gallows humor -

I have to agree with Susan here. I was surprised to see the turn the thread
took considering the nature of her original post. Joking about horrific
crashes or parts falling off seems awfully insensitive when it's directed
toward someone who is afraid of flying. You could say that the jokes weren't
directed towards Susan, but you know she would be reading the thread, so in
effect they were.

Flame me if you must, but this newsgroup is a great forum for us pilots. But
we should be sensitive to those who aren't, as if they were our passengers.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old October 15th 03, 09:52 PM
Rich Badaracco

Susan,
Sorry for the turn this thread took. My wife also has a fear of flying and I
found this website when I tried to find help for her. This group was very
helpful to her. http://www.fearofflying.com/. I made arrangements for her to
contact Tom Bunn and discuss her fear of flying. I would suggest the same
for you. They also have a message board where you can discuss your fear of
flying with others who have this fear. Good luck! I hope you wind up loving
flying as much as we all do.

"Susan" wrote in message
om...
Thank you all VERY much for taking the time to answer my question!!

Old October 15th 03, 10:15 PM
Montblack

I agree.

It's Ron's fault. Bad Ron.

Sorry Susan. Stick with us. This is a great newsgroup.

Ask another question ...we'll be good. Ron! :-)

(running, but not ducking ....bam, bam, bam, bam)

--
Montblack

"Trent Moorehead"
snip

Old October 16th 03, 05:11 AM
Jay Honeck

Oh well...the world would be way too boring if we were all kind!

Sheesh, Susan -- they were *jokes*. Wise cracks. Not to be taken
seriously. You know, "ha, ha" kind of stuff?

My sincere suggestion: Try to develop a sense of humor -- it'll make flying
(and life) a lot more fun.

Barring that, you may as well take a Valium and sleep through your upcoming
flight. It'll all be over very quickly, and you'll wake up refreshed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 16th 03, 12:47 PM
KayInPA

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:11:29 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Barring that, you may as well take a Valium and sleep through your upcoming
flight. It'll all be over very quickly, and you'll wake up refreshed.

Here here. Depending on the time of the flight, sleep can be one of
the best things to do even if you're not afraid of flying - if the
flight is a night flight, it can really help in preventing jet lag.

Susan, Jay's tip might help you. If nothing else, the crying baby two
rows aft will seem a bit less annoying... Why not ask your doctor
about it? Couldn't hurt to have something if you feel you need it for
sleep.

--
Kay
Student Pilot

Old October 17th 03, 12:00 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

My sincere suggestion: Try to develop a sense of humor -- it'll make flying
(and life) a lot more fun.

You are talking to a woman here who is terrified and wants reassurance to help
her make ONE commercial flight. Sick aviation jokes are not remotely excusable.

George Patterson
To a pilot, altitude is like money - it is possible that having too much
could prove embarassing, but having too little is always fatal.
Old October 17th 03, 05:02 AM
bex

If I can put my 2 cents in all the way from Down Under - don't worry
Susan, it's just us pilots have a strange sense of humour. Lack of O2
at altitude I suspect!

--
bex
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old October 17th 03, 02:52 PM
Jay Honeck

My sincere suggestion: Try to develop a sense of humor -- it'll make
flying
(and life) a lot more fun.

You are talking to a woman here who is terrified and wants reassurance to

help
her make ONE commercial flight. Sick aviation jokes are not remotely

excusable.

Wait a minute, George. A person with an irrational fear of flying comes to
a piloting newsgroup looking for reassurance that flying is okay. She gets
advice, and then she also receives some good-humored posts with jokes about
flying, along with several examples of irrational things to fear.

This is inexcusable?

Let me give you an example from my own life: I have an irrational fear of
heights. Hiking into the Grand Canyon last year just about killed me.
There were times when I thought I was going to die, while my kids were
happily skipping along the trail, wondering what was wrong with Dad?

Did I take my stupid fears to a ROCK CLIMBING newsgroup for advice? Get
real.

What's inexcusable is that she didn't take her problem to
"alt.society.mental-health" before coming here.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA