Cambridge 302 download utility unavailable. Copy anyone?

Old April 28th 12, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kurt Thams

Default Cambridge 302 download utility unavailable. Copy anyone?

Looking for a copy of Cambridge Download utility 3UTiQ257.exe but the
page at http://www.cambridge-aero.com/executables/ is not accessible.
(hoping this works on my Compaq hx4700).

Anyone have access to this?

- kurt
Old April 28th 12, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Kurt,

There are 2 sources I'm aware of:
http://www.cambridge-aero.com/300series.htm (near the bottom of the page).
and
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/cai_downloads.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old April 29th 12, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Kurt Thams wrote:
Looking for a copy of Cambridge Download utility 3UTiQ257.exe but the
page at http://www.cambridge-aero.com/executables/ is not accessible.
(hoping this works on my Compaq hx4700).

Not exactly an answer to your question, but might be interesting anyway:

XCSoar can download valid IGC files from the CAI302.

Max
Old April 30th 12, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fredblair

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:37:21 AM UTC-5, Max Kellermann wrote:
Kurt Thams wrote:
Looking for a copy of Cambridge Download utility 3UTiQ257.exe but the
page at http://www.cambridge-aero.com/executables/ is not accessible.
(hoping this works on my Compaq hx4700).

Not exactly an answer to your question, but might be interesting anyway:

XCSoar can download valid IGC files from the CAI302.

Max

Do you need that IOIO board for the Android device to get connected to the CAI302?

Old April 30th 12, 09:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Kurt Thams wrote:
Looking for a copy of Cambridge Download utility 3UTiQ257.exe but the
page athttp://www.cambridge-aero.com/executables/is not accessible.
(hoping this works on my Compaq hx4700).

Not exactly an answer to your question, but might be interesting anyway:

XCSoar can download valid IGC files from the CAI302.

Max

Do you need that IOIO board for the Android device to get connected to the CAI302?

Yes. And a max3232 or equivalent. Details here http://tinyurl.com/bl5s7o6

At the moment, XCS will d/l 302 flight logs, but it isn't yet a
complete replacement for the Cambridge utility.

T8
Old April 30th 12, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

Do you need that IOIO board for the Android device to get connected to the CAI302?

Yes. *And a max3232 or equivalent. *Details herehttp://tinyurl.com/bl5s7o6

At the moment, XCS will d/l 302 flight logs, but it isn't yet a
complete replacement for the Cambridge utility.

T8

I recently converted to a Dell Streak 5 Android device and I used a
RS232/Bluetooth adapter from usconverters.com ($51 with shipping) to
connect to the CAI 302. I built a cable to connect the adapter, as
both the 302 and the adapter had the same plug gender. It was no big
deal, even for an electron challenged guy like me. It was only four
wires, and I was able to power the Bluetooth adapter (pin 9) from the
302 power output on either pin 6 or pin 8. So far it works great. I
needed to get some help from a couple of people (Mike C & Mike A) to
get everything up and running, but I am very happy with it so far. I
also have to say that I am very impressed with the screen brightness
of the Dell Streak 5 and the power of XC Soar. Total cost for the
package was under $300. I am seeing the Streak 5 on ebay for around
$200.

Battery life is adequate, even at full brightness but I learned that
the Streak should be set to "Airplane Mode" so that the cell searching
doesn't draw power. I flew 4.5 hours the other day and the battery
still showed 46%. Just in case, I installed a 12v to 5v USB plug
(soldered two wires to a cigarette lighter charge adapter from
Duracell) in my panel. Pretty cool alternative to systems costing
hundreds or thousands more. I will be comparing screen brightness to
the upgraded Oudie soon. The Craggy Aero Ultimate and ClearNav are
much better, but pretty expensive.

I am also able to download flight logs from the 302 and upload to the
OLC with a WiFi connection. Definitely a big improvement over my old
Compaq 1530 and GlideNav II, but there still needs to be a utility app
for the Android to replace the Cambridge Utility 257. You can still
use a laptop if necessary, but an Android app would be better.

MSM