True Meaning Of VOR

Old March 11th 05, 08:46 PM
Jose

How many people grew up
believing elemenopee was a letter itself?

It isn't? Maybe =that's= why I have so much trouble reading.

Why did they build the ocean so close to the shore?

Jose
--
Math is a game. The object of the game is to figure out the rules.
Old March 11th 05, 08:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jose" wrote in message

Why did they build the ocean so close to the shore?

To reduce travel time to picnics at the beach.

Old March 11th 05, 10:18 PM
Franklin Newton

I thought it was "Visual Omni Range", meaning multi-directional and you got
to see the display as opposed to the aural radio ranges.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am an aspiring flight student. I'd like my first message to this
group to be one with foot in mouth:

I am not convinced that the term VOR stands for "Very high frequenncy
omnidirectional range."

The problem is that, if I were an electrical engineer designing such a
device, knowing in advance how it worked, I'd be highly inclinded to
call it a "Very high frequency ominidirectional radiator" given that it
radiates in all directions using the VHF band.

Yet both the chapters by Rod Machado that comes with Micrsoft Flight
Simulator and the handbooks from the FAA say that it stands for
"...ominidirectional range", so I might be barking up a tall tree here,
but just a thought.

Is there anyone here whose experience in flight precede the advent of
VOR that could say what it stands for?

Thanks,

-Chaud Lapin-

Old March 11th 05, 11:38 PM
Mike W.

"Franklin Newton" wrote in message
ink.net...
I thought it was "Visual Omni Range", meaning multi-directional and you

got
to see the display as opposed to the aural radio ranges.

Huh? Maybe you are thinking of DME.

Old March 11th 05, 11:45 PM
Bob Moore

"Franklin Newton" wrote
I thought it was "Visual Omni Range", meaning multi-directional and
you got to see the display as opposed to the aural radio ranges.

Ah-ha...somebody else as old as I am. :-) That's how I first
heard it way back in the early fifties. By the late fifties,
we had VORs in our Navy aircraft, but the emphasis on my final
instrument check-ride was still on the "aural" A-N Range for
both enroute navigation and approaches. How pleasant to get to
the first fleet squadron to find that it was all VOR/ADF/GCA
flying.

Bob Moore
Old March 12th 05, 01:01 AM
CryptWolf

"Mike W." wrote in message

The R means Range and always has.

I still don't understand why the word 'range' is in there, a VOR doesn't
give you any distance to or from anything unless you use two or more of

them
to determine your position.

You can determine distance from a VOR with the aid of a clock and a
bit of math. Turn 90 degrees to the inbound course and time 5 or 10
degrees of the arc. Note that this also works with an ADF.

Times here are in minutes.
Time to station = time * 60 / degrees change
Distance from station = time * TAS / degrees change
This one works with knots or MPH but MPH gives distance
in statute miles instead of nautical miles.

If close to the VOR (seconds = minutes * 60)
Time to station (minutes) = seconds/degrees change (usually 10 degrees)

You can typically do the math in your head fairly close or more
accurately with a wiz wheel or a calculator.

Old March 13th 05, 03:08 AM
Frankster

Why is there so many letters in the word "ABBREVIATION"?
Why isn't PHONETICALLY spelled with an F?

Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons?

-Frank

Old March 13th 05, 03:56 AM
Montblack

("Frankster" wrote)
Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons?

Yes. They were, um, outies ...as in they're "5000."

Word.

Montblack