My first solo - and the worst flight of my life

Old November 22nd 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Monarch Student[_1_]

Default My first solo - and the worst flight of my life

I left this morning for my first supervised solo. My flight
instructor is a new guy, about 25 who's never taught students before a
month ago. But he seems to know his stuff, so I've put up with him
for this long.

Until today.

We take off from Addison to McKinney TX airport, arrive at McKinney
and begin pattern work. Apparently my pattern wasn't tight enough so
my instructor who I guess is having a bad morning starts yelling at
the top of his lungs, "90 KEEP IT AT ****ING 90 ON DOWNWIND!!". I
look down at the airspeed, which is at 87. He slaps my hand away from
the throttle, and mashes it in. The nose comes up and he hammers the
yoke with his hands so the plane pitches down suddenly. "Watch your
altitude", he says.

We come in for a landing, on a regular runway with no displaced
threshold. He's yelling to keep it at 70 and pitches the yoke down.
We're headed directly for the grass in front of the runway. I ask if
we can land about fifty feet farther in because at this angle we'll be
right on the grass/lights. McKinney is over 6k long, so we have room.
And it's 2 days before Thanksgiving so hardly any traffic is present.

He says no (seemed like a reasonable request), yells, yells more and
my landing which is now low because of our airspeed and him not
allowing me to slightly power it to make it farther in, sucks. We
stop on the runway, and next pattern he simulates an engine failure. I
pitch for about 70, and get, "SIXTY-EIGHT. WHAT'S YOUR ****ING BEST
GLIDE? SIXTY-EIGHT!!". There's no way to make it to the runway, at
all even with 68. I get yelled at for being too far away, but the
tower asked us to be because of incoming traffic.

Jake smashes in the throttle and yells "GO AROUND!", forcing the yoke
forward because the nose pitched up (thanks to him hammering the
throttle in) then yelling at me for that.

At this point, I'm ready just to go home. But I consider it wasted
money, and probably better to let him scream for 10 more minutes and
I'll probably get to solo.

Sure enough, after two more landings I solo. "DON'T RUN ME OVER WHEN
YOU ****ING COME BACK", he says.

90 downwind, tight pattern, smooth landings. The McKinney tower guy
even told my instructor after he got back in that my pattern and
landings looked great, but I forgot to announce my callsign once, I
didn't center line all the landings, etc etc all announced on the
tower frequency. Thanks McKinney ATC guy! *sigh*

We return to Monarch Air, he says tie up the plane and hurry up.
Coming into the "office", there's 4 instructors standing there, all
not talking, avoiding eye contact and Jake in a chair looking down
with his hand outstretched for the key. No good solo (which is was),
congrats, nadda from anyone. And thus I left, no happy Thanksgiving,
see ya when I get back, almost like Jake just wanted me to get the
hell out of his face.

So should I get a new instructor? Mine seems like a miserable human
being. If I was a bad student, maybe I could understand. But the
senior instructor that's flown with me on progress flights called me
"significantly better than average".

How much of a hit would I take changing instructors this far in? Does
asking for a new one (preferrably with some experience) label me as a
problem student with the school?

Is it too much to ask, to be allowed a few feet into the runway if I'm
more comfortable with it?

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm beginning to hate flying, which
is sad because I began learning thinking it would be fun.
Old November 22nd 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Were you paraphrasing or was your instructor actualy using the F word?
That is usually a sign of a CFI who isn't in control of the situation.
A good CFI shows little emotion in the cockpit. We also know how to
only sweat on the right side (the student should never see you sweat).
I've not been in a situation with a student where I've lost my cool,
I can't imagine what that situation would be. If you're not happy with
a student's airspeed control you just tell them. No reason to get upset
about it. As the CFI you get to fly tomorrow either way, the student
may not

-Robert, CFII

Old November 22nd 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

So should I get a new instructor?

Definately.

I presume from your second sentence that this is his MO. Let him
practice on somebody else.

How much of a hit would I take changing instructors this far in?

You're not "this far in". You're far enough in so that it would be good
to see different approaches to flying.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old November 22nd 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

If what you say is true, he shouldn't be instructing. I would report him to
the fbo and get a new instructer.

Old November 22nd 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Monarch Student" wrote in message
[...]
So should I get a new instructor? Mine seems like a miserable human
being. If I was a bad student, maybe I could understand. But the
senior instructor that's flown with me on progress flights called me
"significantly better than average".

OF COURSE YOU ****ING SHOULD GET A NEW INSTRUCTOR!

Seriously though, I didn't even have to finish your first paragraph
describing your flight to know that you need a new instructor. There is
*absolutely* to place for abuse of any sort in any kind of teaching
relationship. It's simply not necessary, no matter how successful some
people may have found it in the past.

Yelling, profanity, jerking the flight controls, and hitting the student
have no place in the cockpit (unless you're under attack by a hijacker, of
course ). Get as far away from this instructor as possible, and if he is
working for a flight school, make sure that his supervisor and/or the owner
of the flight school are familiar with your experience.

Frankly, I'd say that if they don't fire the guy outright, you ought to find
a new school entirely. But I don't know what your situation is and I don't
know whether there are actually other flight schools around (though, in that
part of Texas I'd think there would be).

How much of a hit would I take changing instructors this far in? Does
asking for a new one (preferrably with some experience) label me as a
problem student with the school?

No, not at all. And again, you should make it very clear to the school that
the instructor is the one with the problem. He shouldn't be working there
at all.

If you went through a half-dozen instructors and still couldn't find one you
liked, that might be an indication of a problem. But switching once doesn't
even come close to suggesting a problem with the student.

In any case, it really doesn't matter how far into your training you are.
You stand to lose WAY more if you stick with this instructor than if you
switch and work with one that can teach in a respectful manner. I don't
know exactly what your instructor's problem is, but until he gets his own
issues under control, he's got no business being involved in flight
instruction.

Is it too much to ask, to be allowed a few feet into the runway if I'm
more comfortable with it?

That depends on the situation. But regardless of whether your performance
meets the criteria, it needs to be communicated in a respectful way.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm beginning to hate flying, which
is sad because I began learning thinking it would be fun.

It is fun. The only reason you're not having fun is that your instructor
sucks. Find a new instructor. Make sure that your instructor is making the
flying fun. If he is not, either explain to him that you need the lessons
to be fun or find an instructor who already understands that.

Learning *anything* can be and should be fun. A good teacher understands
this. But especially in flying, there's absolutely no reason that almost
every flight you make shouldn't be just a huge amount of fun. You're
FLYING!

Pete

Old November 22nd 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

One more thought. At an FBO CFIs are usually held to a standard for how
long to get a student to solo, etc. If a student is coming in regularly
the chief instructor will expect they will solo in 20 hours or so. If a
CFI isn't signing a student off after 30 hours the chief instructor
usually wonders if there is a problem with the CFI (and often will ask
to fly with the student himself to determine what is wrong, the CFI or
the student). Perhaps this CFI was under pressure to solo you and
rather than ask for help and advise from the other CFIs, he tried to
push you through before he felt comfortable?? Just a guess.
When I was doing J-3 training we were told that if someone didn't get
their tailwheel endorsement in 7 hours the chief instructor flew with
them (i.e took your student). He told us that we should be able to get
anyone signed off in under 7 hours. Its probably a good idea but I can
see how it could get some CFIs into trouble if they have too much
pride.

-Robert, CFII

Old November 22nd 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Monarch Student posted:

I left this morning for my first supervised solo. My flight
instructor is a new guy, about 25 who's never taught students before a
month ago. But he seems to know his stuff, so I've put up with him
for this long.

Until today.

(rest snipped for brevity)

Not knowing either you or your instructor, the best suggestion that I can
offer is that not all people have compatible personalities. It should not
be a problem to ask for a different instructor, and perhaps you will find
one that is more to your liking. Keep in mind that the instructors aren't
paying you, and if the experience is not fruitful, it is not their money
that is lost.

Neil

Old November 22nd 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

Well, first of all, congratulations for not killing yourself under a first
solo condition I would consider possibly one of the worst I've ever seen in
print.
Secondly, if I were you, I'd never fly with this outfit again and find
another CFI immediately.
This assumes of course that what you have related here is true word for
word. If YOU on the other hand, are part of this problem I'd do a serious
self evaluation on the entire situation before flying again. Either way,
what I've read here describes a VERY dangerous situation that needs
correcting immediately, as I see it as a serious flight safety issue.
Dudley Henriques