FLARM presentation

Old October 15th 12, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FLARM presentation

In your opinion...

Comparing the Butterfly panel mount round or rectangular and the LXNAV Flarmview FLARM displays, which offers largest, clearest, and most visible presentation?

Is the FLARM display on a large screen glide computer (i.e. ClearNav or LX9000) more readable than a dedicated FLARM display?

Or perhaps an off-panel PNA display like XCSoar, SeeYou, or LK8000 is better?

I hope Tim Mara @ Wings and Wheels, Paul Remde @ Cumulus Soaring, and Richard @ CraggyAero will comment.

Old October 15th 12, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Oct 15, 9:34*am, wrote:
In your opinion...

Comparing the Butterfly panel mount round or rectangular and the LXNAV Flarmview FLARM displays, which offers largest, clearest, and most visible presentation?

Is the FLARM display on a large screen glide computer (i.e. ClearNav or LX9000) more readable than a dedicated FLARM display?

Or perhaps an off-panel PNA display like XCSoar, SeeYou, or LK8000 is better?

I hope Tim Mara @ Wings and Wheels, Paul Remde @ Cumulus Soaring, and Richard @ CraggyAero will comment.

Depends what it is you want to see, I think.

I can comment on the 57mm panel mount Butterfly display and ClearNav.

The 57mm display gives an adequate presentation for flarm to flarm
anti-collision provided it is on the top row of instruments in your
panel, you have "normal" hearing, a "normal" sailplane cockpit noise
background and 20/20 vision at whatever distance your panel is. For
everything else (pcas, flarm radar) it's not so hot. One hopes that
this will improve with future firmware releases, but the display area
is pretty damned small.

ClearNav does a split screen presentation with audio for flarm to
flarm anti-collision that is intuitive and attention getting. The
flarm display uses the top half of the CN display and like everything
else ClearNav, it's big, bold, easy and quick to read. This is in
alpha/beta testing now, but it's coming right along. PCAS alerts are
in development, but not yet released. Flarm "Radar" information is
presented as glider silhouettes on the map display, with correct
orientation for direction of travel, correct relative position and
text display of relative altitude and climb/descent rate, easiest to
see when the zoom is set to "2 miles" on the focus box. This is all
working pretty well in latest alpha software.

-Evan Ludeman on behalf of ClearNav
Old October 15th 12, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Isn't your question is incomplete without asking for a comparison of
audio alerting?

GY
Old October 15th 12, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

The screen size is (I'm pretty sure) identical on the 3 remote FLARM
displays you mentioned.

The Butterfly rectangular and 57 mm round displays have the exact same
screen and same software.

The speaker on the Butterfly round 57 mm unit is reputed to be much louder
than the one in the rectangular display.

The speaker in the LXNAV FlarmView is extremely loud (in a good way).

The screen brightness is similar. The Butterfly displays is slightly
brighter indoors and the LXNAV FlarmView is slightly brighter outdoors in
bright sunlight.

The LXNAV FlarmView can display climb rate or relative altitude or
competition ID on the moving map near targets - which is nice.

The LXNAV FlarmView can display the screen as black with white markings, or
white with black markings.

The user-interface for all units is very simple - in my opinion.

I have all 3 displays in stock and can show them to you with my web cam over
Skype.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old October 15th 12, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Andy you are correct and thank you for correcting the question. Being able to hear an alert before you "eyes on" an alert is most important.

Old October 15th 12, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 15, 2012 1:04:01 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
Andy you are correct and thank you for correcting the question. Being able to hear an alert before you "eyes on" an alert is most important.

On Monday, October 15, 2012 10:33:41 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:

Isn't your question is incomplete without asking for a comparison of

audio alerting?

GY

If you already have a ClearNav and were going to add a Flarm Brick, do you need a dedicated Flarm display as well on your panel, or does the ClearNav show the needed information just fine by itself? Opinions?
Old October 15th 12, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Oct 15, 4:43*pm, wrote:
On Monday, October 15, 2012 1:04:01 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
Andy you are correct and thank you for correcting the question. Being able to hear an alert before you "eyes on" an alert is most important.

On Monday, October 15, 2012 10:33:41 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:

Isn't *your question is incomplete without asking for a comparison of

audio alerting?

GY

If you already have a ClearNav and were going to add a Flarm Brick, do you need a dedicated Flarm display as well on your panel, or does the ClearNav show the needed information just fine by itself? Opinions?

ClearNav flarm interface is still in development. The latest publicly
available beta is 2.2.0.25 and this has several known issues with
flarm (most apparent in a really high density flarm environment). I
am flying 2.2.0.31alpha and it's much better and quite stable, but
still does not include pcas alerts or the ability to switch flarm into
stealth mode. I'll see about getting a later version posted to the
website. We're not quite ready to say we can replace the dedicated PF
display.

Evan Ludeman on behalf of ClearNav Instruments
Old October 16th 12, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 15, 2012 5:53:44 PM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Oct 15, 4:43*pm, wrote:

[...]

update: Mode C/S & ADSB almost ready for public release. Inclination is to hold off on next public release until all that works.

Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old October 16th 12, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Oct 15, 4:43*pm, wrote:

[...]

update: Mode C/S & ADSB almost ready for public release. Inclination is to hold off on next release until this is all tested.

Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old October 16th 12, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Monday, October 15, 2012 6:34:01 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
In your opinion... Comparing the Butterfly panel mount round or rectangular and the LXNAV Flarmview FLARM displays, which offers largest, clearest, and most visible presentation? Is the FLARM display on a large screen glide computer (i.e. ClearNav or LX9000) more readable than a dedicated FLARM display? Or perhaps an off-panel PNA display like XCSoar, SeeYou, or LK8000 is better? I hope Tim Mara @ Wings and Wheels, Paul Remde @ Cumulus Soaring, and Richard @ CraggyAero will comment.

PowerFlarm dispays very nicley on the Ultimate Le running SeeYou PNA or any device running SeeYou Mobile. I tried this first in Sept of 2011. No Betas on this hardware and software.

Flarm traffic can be displayed in a variety of colors depending on altitude.. Altitude and climb rate are displayed next to the flarm gliders. You can change the size and symbol of the flarm traffic. If you lose a lock on the traffic it can be displayed as a dot for a time that you set. You can fly to this dot and zoom in on the thermal track. Zoom is extremely fast on the Ultimate Le. Traffic is seen consistenly 4 to 6 nuatical miles. ADS-B Much further out.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Flarm Threat traffic is show on a white bank on the top of the screen you get a loud warning and the Voice Lady warns you of traffic. "traffic 5 Oclock 50 feet High"

New FES presentation video! [email protected] Soaring 0 September 17th 12 01:57 PM
EAA Presentation lanebush Soaring 1 November 10th 11 03:01 AM
Presentation Betideact General Aviation 2 January 31st 11 08:22 AM
ELT and PLB Presentation Available ContestID67 Soaring 0 October 12th 07 09:51 PM
PCC Presentation Jim Vincent Soaring 18 April 9th 04 06:07 AM