Non-Alcoholic Beers

Old July 29th 03, 09:30 PM
John Theune

Big John wrote in
:

You go hang one one and then sleep for 8 hours and are then tested.

How much alchol will the test show remaining in your system?

Would you be legal to fly per FAA regs?

Big John

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:56:33 +0200, Martin Hotze
wrote:

John Theune wrote:

§ 91.17 Alcohol or drugs.
(a) No person may act or attempt to act as a crewmember of a
civil
aircraft --
(1) Within 8 hours after the consumption of any alcoholic
beverage; (2) While under the influence of alcohol;
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"While under the influence of alcohol"
"While under the influence of alcohol"
"While under the influence of alcohol"
"While under the influenc!"§$%&/%&/%§$""§!LOSTCARRIER

Martin;
The question was is the consumption of 1 O'Douls a violation. I
think that it's safe to say that if OJ can have the same amount of
alcohol as a O'Douls, then your not "under the influence" if you
drink one.

Have you consumed alcohol? IMHO yes. Very little, but you have. At
least you have a not so good standpoint in court.
But you're right, the question stands, even when 0,0001% is also
alcohol.

John

#m

The regs gone on to say that the limit is .04. The point I'm trying to
get to is not if your drunk on these things ( since it would take a ton
on them at a 1 to 16 ratio ) but what if you had one or two. By the
definitions cited above they are not considered alcoholic beverages and
you also would not be violating under (2) under the influence or (4) the
..04% rule. I think that the immediate answer that some gave of "it's got
some alcohol in it therefor your breaking the rules" does not address the
finer point of if orange juice or mouth wash can have a alcohol level
equal to these drinks, should the wording of the FAA be changed or is it
okay to drink ( or use ) these things. There's also the minor point that
if these things contain enough alcohol to effect people, then the FDA (
or other agencies ) should not allow them to be labeled as non-alcoholic
beverages.
Old July 29th 03, 10:37 PM
Jeff Franks

Tell that to the EAA crew that loads up the plane with bundles of cash
before the trip back to Wisconsin .

Before Sun-N-Fun, the SouthEastern flyin was held not to far from me
(Tullahoma, TN). They had it for a few years with great success. But the
organizers quickly learned who got to keep the cash. Dunno if SNF is the
same, but can't imagine it being much different the way that the EAA
promotes it.

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 8...
Nick Funk wrote

I know the EAA doesn't allow alcoholic beverages to be sold at
any fly-ins. But at Sun-n-Fun every year O'Douls is dished out
free of charge to any participant regardless of age.

First, although every attempt is made to make it appear to
be an official EAA event, Sun-n-Fun is a privately held
corporation.
Second, as of this past year, real beer is now widely sold
on the Sun-n-Fun grounds.

Bob Moore

Old July 30th 03, 06:37 PM
Newps

Big John wrote:

Newps

They don't say 8 from bottle to throttle AND test "x" amount of
alcohol in system do they?

Aren't both of these separate stand alone constraints?

You cannot drink within 8 hours of flying or controlling. Also,
regardless of how much time since you last drank, you cannot blow a .05
or above and still be legal.

Old July 30th 03, 10:10 PM
Big John

Newps

Looks like I would have lost on both counts many time in the distant
past in a land far away (.

Not sure if I knew any better or just didn't care?

Things were different in those days. Breathalizers had not been
invented. A snort in the middle of a winter snowstorm in an open
cockpit, helped one survive until the next field/landing and a hot
wood fire in the shack. A shot before take off also helped counteract
the cold.

People forget how flying started and struggled for years until WWII
when big advances were made culminating in supersonic flight (and
space travel, a fall our of the maned air vehicle program).

Have one on me See you in the Pub.

Big John

Old July 31st 03, 04:39 AM
Newps

Those are just the legalities. Like the maintenence thread earlier it
is widely disregarded.

Old August 1st 03, 02:32 PM
Jim Fisher

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
yes, under (1).
but what do _you_ read under (2)?

A data point (stolen from google somewhere):
"Natural fermentation produces similar low levels of alcohol in most fruit
juices. Typical levels of alcohol in orange juice range from 0.2 percent to
0.5 percent. The alcohol level in the two best selling "non-alcoholic brews"
is 0.28 percent and 0.37 percent.

(. . . ) it would take about 30 12-ounce servings in one hour to bring a
150-pound man's blood-alcohol concentration up to about 0.10 percent "

--

Jim Fisher

Old August 2nd 03, 10:24 PM
Jim Fisher

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
You cannot drink O'Douls less than 8 hours before flying because of
its (although low) alcohol content.

Orange juice contains more alcohol than non-alcoholic beers. I'm not
grounding myself after a hearty breakfast of eggs, toast, grits and orange
juice.

Now that you know the truth about JOB, would you?

--
Jim Fisher

Old August 3rd 03, 12:20 AM
ArtP

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 16:24:57 -0500, "Jim Fisher"
wrote:

You cannot drink O'Douls less than 8 hours before flying because of
its (although low) alcohol content.

Orange juice contains more alcohol than non-alcoholic beers. I'm not
grounding myself after a hearty breakfast of eggs, toast, grits and orange
juice.

I am not going to drink any kind of beer if I am going flying within
8 hours.