MMU ramp fee

Old August 6th 03, 05:54 AM
Tom S.

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 21:17:42 -0500, Jim Herring
wrote:
In most places in the USA it's illegal for an exit door to be locked

during
business hours. Violates the fire code.

True, but on all of the airports that have commercial traffic I think
you will find any door to the ram from the outside to be locked.

Locked, but with fire bars (will sound a fire alarm when unlatched).

Old August 6th 03, 01:53 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...

I've seen this quite a bit recently. Not to extract $$s from
pilots, but by order of the TSA on ramps that serve both GA and
commercial traffic. I don't think the TSA worries about fire codes.

Just like the Port Authority did not worry about fire codes in the twin
towers. As a governmental organization, compliance was voluntary and they
picked and chose what they wanted to and those towers did not meet NYC
codes.

Old August 8th 03, 08:35 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:39:26 GMT, "Gary L. Drescher"
wrote:

"John Galban" wrote in message
. com...
Jim Herring wrote in message

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

There might have been an unlocked front door but the only door to the

ramp
(and my plane!) was definitely locked.

In most places in the USA it's illegal for an exit door to be locked

during
business hours. Violates the fire code.

I've seen this quite a bit recently. Not to extract $$s from
pilots, but by order of the TSA on ramps that serve both GA and
commercial traffic. I don't think the TSA worries about fire codes.

Large airports have always locked passenger-terminal doors that open onto
the ramp. I doubt there's any fire-code violation, as long as they're not
marked as exit doors and as long as enough unlocked, marked exit doors
exist.

I can name four airports that had airline traffic where I had always
been able to walk out onto the ramp prior to 9/11. LAN, MBS, TVC and
MKG. MBS was the least lenient with a combination door, but when you
taxied up you could walk any where on the ramp as long as you stayed
away from the terminal. At the other three airports you could walk up
to within about 50 feet of the airliners. They had a line pained on
the concrete with a warning sign. (Kinda like OSH used to be)

The last time I went to Muskegon was the day they were setting up
for the Muskegon Air Fair about 4 or 5 years ago. We flew a lady over
from GDW whose husband had won a trip on the B-24. They picked us up
at the transient parking, gave us a ride around the approach end of
the runway and let us out at the junction of the active runway and the
active taxiway.

BTW, we got to fly above, behind, and centered between the B-24 and
B-17. Man, what a view. The controller came on and apologized to
them, but said, "I know you want to drum up interest, but you guys
gotta get back up higher". I was the only one who was at or above
1000 AGL. (IE Legal) As I was flying along with them approach had me
snuggle up when we came in over town. I doubt I'll ever have another
view like that again.

Some where around here I have a photo of Joyce (my wife) waking down
the taxiway with an F-16 coming up behind her, with two A-10s behind
it and a Tornado behind the A-10s. She stepped off the taxiway to
get out of the F-16s way and I have a photo of her with fingers stuck
in ears about 6 feet off the left wing tip of the F-16. I have
another of her standing between the pipes on an F-14 that just shut
down. The pilot is just stepping off the ladder. I think I know where
that one is.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old August 8th 03, 08:36 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:54:25 -0700, "Tom S." wrote:

.. .
wrote:
In most places in the USA it's illegal for an exit door to be locked

during
business hours. Violates the fire code.

True, but on all of the airports that have commercial traffic I think
you will find any door to the ram from the outside to be locked.

Locked, but with fire bars (will sound a fire alarm when unlatched).

No firebars on the ones at the airport.

Old August 8th 03, 12:34 PM
Tom S.

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message

Like any service industry there are FBOs who think they are doing us a
favor (and show it in their attitudes) by selling gas to the little
guy, There are those who would like to get rid of "the little guy" so
they could have the string of big corporate jets they think they'd
have if the little guys weren't around, and there are those who
realize that any one who buys from them is doing them a favor.

And there are some, like TAC Air at APA (Denver-Centennial) that give
excellent serivice to big birds and tweety birds alike. And APA is one BUSY
airport.

I never said it made sense. :-)) But I do know how some of them
think after having spent most of my life (32 years plus 4 out for
college) working for a large multinational corporation that's just
down the road. Those last 6 years I got to do a fair amount of
traveling and saw lots of different attitudes.

And that gives you an insight into why 95% fail in their first five to seven
years.

Old August 9th 03, 12:49 AM
Rosspilot

I'll put Raytheon at Tampa Int'l at the top of the list for treating me and my
little Skyhawk like we're special. Never been treated better at any FBO
anywhere.

www.Rosspilot.com

Naval Air Refueling Needs Deferred in Air Force Tanker Plan Henry J Cobb Military Aviation 47 May 22nd 04 03:36 AM
Seat belt tags Stephen Stilkey Owning 28 March 15th 04 04:29 PM
Stryker/C-130 Pics robert arndt Military Aviation 186 October 8th 03 09:18 AM
Flyong from Toronto (Ontario) to Pitsburg Intl Anthony Acri Instrument Flight Rules 3 July 26th 03 05:28 PM